Big Foot Camper + GMC Topkick (4x4) = Expedition Camper

Looks like your building area is the same as mine, in the driveway in the Cul de sac. I have a friend who let me in his shop to paint my chassis when the box was off. Some weekend before Christmas I'm getting in again to prime and paint the box. Dang long Alberta winters put a damper on building!!

Yeah it’s quite frustrating to have to wait on better weather.... I could take it 2.5 hours North to my Dads shop but I still wouldn’t be able to work on it much due to the distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no!

How was it frame from factory? 1x1 wood studs and roof support? Happy to hear you got it back in shape maybe wise to put a temp wall in the middle?

That’s the crazy part! From the factory there was no frame hold the roof up! Just some glued foam panels to the roof and walls! The cabinetry provided some support for the roof where the original bathroom was. However the rest of the overhead cabinets were hung off of the roof putting extra pressure on it!

I had some scrap wood laying around that I used to experiment with holding the roof up that you see in the previous picture... I have figured out the basic concept that I am going to use for increasing the roof support across the entire distance of the camper which I will share via pictures when the time comes

Wow that’s crazy I wonder how much it flexed

I wish I measured! But I was in a hurry to fix the situation as quick as possible!!! but based on knowing how tall it was floor to ceiling before the collapse and approx how much headspace was left after I would guess it dropped 7-8”

Honestly I don’t know how it didn’t break. Between the weight and the cold it makes no sense that it flipped itself from an outtie to an innie.... I am happy it did what it did though

This is a cool project.

I didn’t have the vision but after those Paint renderings were posted, I was like “heck yeah!”

Thanks! I figured I would have sounded a bit crazy if I didn’t post a “rendering” (even if it’s just a low quality rendering , it helps explain my madness in ways I can’t!)

ckouba

You may have thought of this but while you're working the floor, you may want to knock out those wheel well boxes while you're at it... Get your floor completely flat.

Chris

1 cap.JPG

You may have thought of this but while you're working the floor, you may want to knock out those wheel well boxes while you're at it... Get your floor completely flat.

Chris

View attachment 487349

Thanks Chris, it’s funny you say that :)

Since the last update they have been removed and we started to fiberglass the area in... since it is still in progress I don’t have any pics to post, however if you check out our Instagram page(ministry.of.adventure) there will be some pics in our “Expo Truck” story:

00e3c44907af156a3ac4b3e4c94995a1.jpg

Cheers!

Lwing

Really want to see how your patching all the holes, I've looked at those same fifth wheels, and thought I'd like to narrow it by 12", even considered the older Bigfoot campers chopping and patching, please post your procedures
Thanks

Winter has brought this project to a halt.

It will resume once the weather in nice enough to fiberglass (that's the current hold up for everything that is to follow)

Likely things will start to warm up enough April or May

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94