Big Decision for my Discovery 1

surfoblb

Should it stay or should it go? I've been looking into replacing the engine on my 98 discovery 1 and everyone i know with different tastes seems to be against it. it has 230k + miles, it's tired and leaking but as long as i keep putting oil in it, it runs. But i do want more push and have been looking at some of the different companies that offer replacement engines whom say they address the issues associated with the stock engines. I've never even considered replacing an engine. But, it's clean, we've had it for a long time, i like driving it probably just as much as my lr3, probably because it's just cool. It's been great in the local mountains and mostly now i just drive it surfing here and there. ..... The engines are between 4 and 5,000 prior to installation. Think it's worth it? At least i know what i have. What do you think. Should i really assume that the new engine is going to plug in just fine as long as i have the right company put it in? Which i do. And perhaps start the next expedition for the next 250,000 miles?

Thanks for reading and any advice ahead of time. This would be a first for me and a decent financial commitment. Should i just spend the money on something else, tuff call.

evilfij

Explorer
$4-5k to replace an engine on a $2k (tops) truck is nuts. Fix what is leaking the worst (probably the cross seals, maybe the heads) and run her until she blows up (hint, she probably won't blow up). Or just keep adding oil.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
As someone who drives a 98 Disco with over 236k on the odometer I'd be torn too! Have you ever had the heads machined and new head/valve gaskets put in? That's a LOT cheaper than a new engine. If it's like any normal Rover and just leaks, replace any leaky hoses (power steering, etc), keep topping it off with fluids, and drive baby drive!

lwg

$4-5k to replace an engine on a $2k (tops) truck is nuts. Fix what is leaking the worst (probably the cross seals, maybe the heads) and run her until she blows up (hint, she probably won't blow up). Or just keep adding oil.

It depends. If you know the truck and all its issues its piece of mind. It's not always dollars and cents, especially when talking about rovers, or cars in general...

Sent from my Toaster

kcabpilot

Observer
For the long block crate motors you'll need to add a few more things - oil pump, water pump, hoses, motor mounts, ignition wires etc then there's two way shipping because they'll want your core back. I've been looking at all of this for the past month because I'm in the same boat sorta, I need a new motor for my D2. I have decided to build my own because I have the tools and skills and that way I know exactly what I'm getting. Still it's going to be about six grand.

Some people will say your nuts but if you put five or six grand into your Disco then you have a perfectly good truck with a brand new engine, a truck that you love by the way. Honestly I don't think there's a comparable option out there that you can get for six grand. You're not doing this with the market value of your vehicle in mind, you have no intention of selling it so all of that is completely irrelevant.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I put a 4.6 in my 98 Disco which I bought with a blown 4.0. All the ancillary stuff moved over to the new engine. I loved that truck! I just wanted to get places faster so I sold the 98 and 95 to get my LR3. I miss both trucks immensely due to all the sweat and blood I poured into them. I would do it all over again if given the means. Esp the 95. If you love the truck, put the engine in. You will get years of value out of it.

A.J.M

Explorer
If the rest of the car is solid, bodyshell being the main one as D1s love to rust, the drive train is good and you can see yourself owning it for a while longer.

I would go for it. I think this truck has passed the point of financial reason and is now in the project/sentimental group.

I think many of us go to this stage of keeping a car beyond economic repair as they like it too much to see it go.

Would be worth finding where the leaks are coming from currently, while land rovers like to mark their territory, plenty remain dry so it would be good to see what's at fault.

XJLI

Adventurer
Scott just sold his D1 for 16 grand. If it's in good shape, keep her. When the motor goes, throw in a motor at your leisure. It may take a while but I think these trucks are going to eventually do the "holy **** it costs HOW much for a RRC??" thing.

Howski

I'd say keep and rebuild. Invest some now and have a great rig for years to come. The resale values is so low it's hardly worth it to sell and get something else. I'm taking a similar route for my D2.

NCLR015

Adventurer
My 96 5-Speed had 320k on it. I found a real clean 98 with 103k on it so I pulled all the off road gear off the 96 and put it on the 98 then put the stock bumpers and stuff on the 96 then sold it. I loved the 5-Speed off road but with the traffic in the Bay Area I was tired of shifting all the time. I sold the 98 to one of my sons when his Ranger puked and bought a very clean 99 RR with 106k that had a new factory block put in at about 80k.

djaraceandrally

Adventuring somewhere...
If it was me, id look into a replacement engine being built in the back ground and keep the current one running until it wont go anymore. I currently have a D2 and i'd love a D3, but whats stopping me are technical advancements...i can mend and afford to mend the D2!! The same cannot be said for the 3. ECU costs scare me somewhat!!!

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Yes, it is nuts to put that much money into an old Disco. But who cares? If you are credit wise, and don't put a 6K engine on a credit card, it seems reasonable to keep something you like.

Besides, plenty of stateside guys are paying 20-25K for a Defender that would sell in Europe for 5-10K.

Rovers are not the hallmark of common sense.

surfoblb

Thanks for the responses

Tuff call continue-ing to consider. The engines can be found at british atlantic, not positive if i have a short or long block
Land Rover Engine: Remanufactured 4.0 BOSCH Short Block Engine (Core Charge Additional)

$4,495
Item: 9257BRK

Hi everyone newish member here

I have a 97 D1 with about 225,000 on the odometer . I recently just rebuilt the transmission on it and I was thinking , hey while the trans is out I should rebuild the motor ... But after a few weeks of humming and ha-ing about it I've decided against it why. Cost was an issue , but the real reason is that it sounds smooth as a sewing machine when running , yeah it leaks oil but what rover doesn't .

Also I think we need more Land Rovers especially Discovery's to get high mileage so all the nay sayers can finally shut up about Land Rovers being " unreliable " .

I think you should redo the head gaskets I'm looking at doing mine in the coming months .
And maybe pistons and rings

And that's my 2p worth

01 D2
97 D1
94 RRC

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior