Big Booty Judy - 2014 DC Tundra Build w OVRLND Camper

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Thanks man, I appreciate that. Suppose it might be time to get rid of the Subagon Westy pic for the avatar.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Got my awning installed yesterday. I had some questions about the bracket install and after calling Jay, he had me come over to the shop to discuss options, and this was the solution we came up with.

This sucker made it a lot easier!

Also installed the PPW...cutting a large hole in a new camper is always fun. I located it here so I can access it via the side hatch.

If any one needs a the hole saw for the PPV install, I can mail one this one....the deal being that you pass it on to the next person when they request it.

dstefan

Got my awning installed yesterday. I had some questions about the bracket install and after calling Jay, he had me come over to the shop to discuss options, and this was the solution we came up with.

This sucker made it a lot easier!

Also installed the PPW...cutting a large hole in a new camper is always fun. I located it here so I can access it via the side hatch.

If any one needs a the hole saw for the PPV install, I can mail one this one....the deal being that you pass it on to the next person when they request it.
The first hole is nerve wracking! Nice clean install …

Fergie

Expedition Leader
The first hole is nerve wracking! Nice clean install …

I suppose I need to install snorkel now since I dont mind cutting large holes in the camper.

I've got a long trip to Redding for some Steelhead fishing in November...will wait until after that to see if 4.88s are warranted.

dstefan

I suppose I need to install snorkel now since I dont mind cutting large holes in the camper.

HaHa — it gets addictive!
I've got a long trip to Redding for some Steelhead fishing in November...will wait until after that to see if 4.88s are warranted.
4.88s have been great for me. especially in winds and hills. Can hold 6th now on mild hills/rollers and climb in 5th on long moderate hills. FWIW I run close to GVWR when loaded.

I’ll be curious to hear how the Ovrlnd aerodynamics compare to your experience with the Habitat. The Habitat looks like it has less aero drag.

rruff

Explorer

If you are going to do it, get 5.29s... and tires ~35" range. 295/70r18 and 285/75r18 will fit on your stock rims if you want to keep them. No lift is require but you'll need to do a little work for clearance in the front.

Edit: I have fat 35s and I'm not planning on a regear even with a camper and bigger load than you are carrying... but if I change my mind, it will be 5.29s for sure.

Last edited:

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Got the 200W Renogy panel mounted this weekend. I tried lots of different ways to mount it...yakima bars, aluminum L angle in different configs, and then came up w a very low-profile mount using some old aluminum signs and riveting the mounts to the panel, and then bolting it to the Yakima tracks.

The other project was the Bedrug...holy hell! I didnt know crawling around in the back of the truck could be so damn comfy. This thing is great. I installed the Mountain Hatch tailgate cover over the bed rug. Used an old screwdriver awl that I heated up to make the holes through the rug. Had to buy some longer lag screws, but it worked out just fine.

Still need to get the interior build going and get my second battery back in so I can mount the fridge and have it ready for a Steelhead fishing trip in a few weeks.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
The girlfriend and I took a trip to Yosemite and Redding this past week, and the first camping trip in the camper...it was sofa king cold...mid 20s overnight, but the park was clear of most visitors, so we enjoyed not having crowds. Gas prices in CA sucked, and so did the extra weight of the camper, so 4.88s or 5.29s are in the near future.

We stopped near Boron for a lunch spot....aero style to stay out of the wind.

Yosemite needs to fix this...

Breakfast was solid after the cold night....Mr. Buddy didnt do the trick.

And of course; a pic in front of the NP sign for proof:

We left after a few days and made breakfast on the road:

Then it was on to Redding for some Steelhead fishing. I caught a dozen or so fish total...mostly small ones, two chunks, and then this big male...24" or so. Thought the line had caught the bottom initial, but then it took off towards the main channel and the fight was on.

For the actual quick build out I did, this was just V1.0...beta at that...lots of improvements and tweaks needed.

The curtains are just old flannel sheets w a layer of reflectix sewn in between, w some hook and loop to attach to the windows.

Thats all for now.

dstefan

The girlfriend and I took a trip to Yosemite and Redding this past week, and the first camping trip in the camper...it was sofa king cold...mid 20s overnight, but the park was clear of most visitors, so we enjoyed not having crowds. Gas prices in CA sucked, and so did the extra weight of the camper, so 4.88s or 5.29s are in the near future.

We stopped near Boron for a lunch spot....aero style to stay out of the wind.

Yosemite needs to fix this...

Breakfast was solid after the cold night....Mr. Buddy didnt do the trick.

And of course; a pic in front of the NP sign for proof:

We left after a few days and made breakfast on the road:

Then it was on to Redding for some Steelhead fishing. I caught a dozen or so fish total...mostly small ones, two chunks, and then this big male...24" or so. Thought the line had caught the bottom initial, but then it took off towards the main channel and the fight was on.

For the actual quick build out I did, this was just V1.0...beta at that...lots of improvements and tweaks needed.

The curtains are just old flannel sheets w a layer of reflectix sewn in between, w some hook and loop to attach to the windows.

Thats all for now.
Congrats on the maiden voyage!

Mid 20°s is damn cold for our campers, especially with the roof insulation still to go.

Our coldest night so far has been 35ish. With roof insulation, the majority of the frame covered, the thermal pack on and no heat we were in the mid 40s in the morning. We have a Wave3 heater, but haven’t used it yet. We have found a 12v blanket to work well (along with down bags, of course).

Think you’ll be happy once you regear.

But, hey, you helped CA’s economy, got a nice steelie, spell checked the NPS, and your GF was smiling in all the pics, so all in all pretty successful!?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Whats the link to the damn 12v blanket man??!!!??

On the regear...4.88s or 5.29s? I'm running the 275/70/18 Cooper ST Maxxs and am getting 10-11MPG after a good 2,100 miles this week....I need a bigger tank, better MPG or both...

dstefan

Whats the link to the damn 12v blanket man??!!!??
LOL, big fail! After looking at a bunch on Amazon, I got this due to the three heat settings. wish it was a bit larger, but it’s been good. Works best under other covers/bag.

On the regear...4.88s or 5.29s? I'm running the 275/70/18 Cooper ST Maxxs and am getting 10-11MPG after a good 2,100 miles this week....I need a bigger tank, better MPG or both...
You might need less aggressive tires? I’m on 285/75/17 Cooper AT3 XLTs (33.8”). They’re great on road and equal to my old Duratracs offroad. Didn’t loose too much from stock with them. Was running 13-15 with camper before regear and now 14-16 (really) with regear and 4.88s. BUT, I drive like a grandpa. Typically not over high 60s to 70 on the road. It gets worse in winds though.

5.29 would give better performance, but really overkill unless you go to 35s or 37s, but opinions vary. 4.88s were better for me due to the highway miles. They’ve been a big improvement, but I’ll never payback the cost with mpg improvement!

Are you compensating for tire size in your mpg calcs?

This calculator is real helpful: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Well, after over 2 months of waiting for some sort of confirmation from Nitro on the gears and LSD I placed an order for, I was getting nothing back communication wise. Finally tracked someone down through their parent company, DPI Offroad, and when the couldnt provide an order status, I went ahead and cancelled the order.

Just spent 10 mins on the phone w ECGS, and have the gears and install set on the way, as well as a Grip Pro helical gear driven LSD instead of the Auburn. I ran True-tracs in my old XJ front and rear and LOVED the performance, so hopefully this does the same. Best part is ECGS had everything in stock and the price differential wasnt horrible. So, should have them by the end of the week and then on to the installer!

Take away from all of this is just call ECGS first off and avoid dealing w Nitro/DPI directly.

dstefan

Took me 8 months to get Nitro gears installed through SDHQ here. Major shipping delays at the time — from S. Korea I believe. Guess it hasn’t changed at all. Worth the wait though.

What did you go with 4.88 or 5.29?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles