Big bikes back in the Dakar

Capt Sport

Adventurer
So, after watching the Dakar rally for several days now. Combined with attending the Cycle World Motorcycle show in Novi Mi recently. A thought has popped into my head. (I know miracles never cease)

With Yamaha's Super Tenure, BMW 1200 and 800GS' Honda's Transalp and obviously the KTM 990. Do you think with the added interest in such bikes (at least here in the States. That they'll ever bring big bikes back to the Dakar?

Not that I mind the 450's but it'd be nice to see the big bikes make a come back.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
The reason its limited to 450 is to keep competition up and deaths down,

Bigger is not better in sand and technical areas, the only place big is good is the flat open trails.........enough people get injured as it was with the last limit, the KTM 690 being the usual weapon of choice.

The lower limit at 450 with a modern engine gives you way sufficient power to get up to scary speeds on the sand.

This year in the Desert challenge in UAE the team riders had the 690's but most of the individuals had 450's

Mostly limited to cost rather than choice, performance wise the big bikes got better speeds on the pistes, but the same on the desert sections.

Power to weight ratio is whats required in sand.........

a fully loaded BMW GS1200...............you'll need a back up crew to lift it for you every time you have a technical laydown

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I think the decision was based as much on the desire to break up the dominance of a certain manufacturer as it was about safety or trying to level the playing field.

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
I think the decision was based as much on the desire to break up the dominance of a certain manufacturer as it was about safety or trying to level the playing field.

No other manufacturers had interest in supporting the big inch bikes. Any form of motorsport suffers when there is a lack of factory involvement. The race organizers polled bike mfgrs to see what class limit would garner the most involvement, a 450cc cap won out. The romantic in me likes the idea of an open class but I enjoy an event that's competitive on several levels even more.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
No other manufacturers had interest in supporting the big inch bikes. Any form of motorsport suffers when there is a lack of factory involvement. The race organizers polled bike mfgrs to see what class limit would garner the most involvement, a 450cc cap won out. The romantic in me likes the idea of an open class but I enjoy an event that's competitive on several levels even more.

That just begs the question: Why not break it into classes based on displacement? I haven't followed the rally at all since the big bikes were given the boot -- even though the vast majority of them were orange.

deminimis

Explorer
Folks would have to be nuts to want to ride anything bigger than a 450!

I seem to be the Father Flanagan of orphaned bikes (450cc+). I would love to see a return to the big bore bikes in the desert (and on the showroom floor).

Capt Sport

Adventurer
That just begs the question: Why not break it into classes based on displacement?

That's my thoughts exactly, I don't see why you can't have both. So, what if the only big bikes where orange. Seems to me that running a big bike against em would be a great way to establish a name for one of the other manufactures. Beat the big bad orange machine on it own turf so to speak.

I for one would like to see the big bikes come back, it'd be nice to see how the Super Tenure stacks up etc.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i really think the big bikes were part of an era that has past,,, i would like to see them return but i just dont think it would be as good as it was. with all the manufacturers in the 450 cc race, and rightly so, who would enter a big bike if it was brought back? prolly only KTM and BMW.

Last edited:

HelaJames

Observer
The main reason the big bikes are gone is safety, first they made it single cylinders only, then they put a speed limit on them, think it is 70 or 75 mph. Then they went to 450s to get some more support for the event.

I understand not wanting riders to die, but I feel some of the magic is lost limiting the machines size and speed. I want see an open class as well but it will never happen. I also want it back in Africa, or change the name.

I lost interest in the daytona 200 for the same reason when they went to 600cc bikes. The 600s are fast but I want to see the big bikes!

The only unlimited racing is score/bitd, and it rocks.

Jim

deadly99

Explorer
The main reason the big bikes are gone is safety, first they made it single cylinders only, then they put a speed limit on them, think it is 70 or 75 mph. Then they went to 450s to get some more support for the event.

I understand not wanting riders to die, but I feel some of the magic is lost limiting the machines size and speed. I want see an open class as well but it will never happen. I also want it back in Africa, or change the name.

I lost interest in the daytona 200 for the same reason when they went to 600cc bikes. The 600s are fast but I want to see the big bikes!

The only unlimited racing is score/bitd, and it rocks.

Jim

Not quite true. There is no speed limits in the Dakar, during the timed special sections. The liasons (non timed sections) have speed limits and have for some time.

The new 450's were reaching speeds in excess of 150-160 km/h this year, which isnt much off what the -700cc bikes were getting.

The organizors also have altered the terrain to better suit a smaller/lighter bike. More often than not the route for the bikes diverges from the route the trucks and cars use. From the video's of this past rally the terrain was wild and I couldnt imagine a big bike plowing through it. In fact alot of riders were quoting that this years Dakar was the hardest ever. Crazy lonh transit sections and very tough terrain.

I followed it very closely and was also dissappointed that the bigger bikes were removed but after seeing the carnage this year my perception has chnaged. I would like to see privateers still be able to use larger bikes just due to less maintanence required.

deadly99

Explorer
A few pictures from the last few weeks for your viewing pleasure

d21_26579357.jpg

d28_26588045.jpg

d32_26543613.jpg

d42_26542683.jpg

Tech_Junkie__Dakar_Rally_01.14.11_wIIRLcK7_dakarjunkie127.standalone.prod_affiliate.156.JPG

Tech_Junkie__Dakar_Rally_01.14.11_wIIRLcK7_dakarjunkie146.standalone.prod_affiliate.156.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior