Big Bend National Park 2/28-3/2 2008

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I'm looking for another 2-3 vehicles to attend (permits allow 2 per camp site).

Trip will consist of backcountry roads. The goal would be to camp at a different site each night to allow for more exploration of the various places in the park. Photography will be a big part of this trip too, as the wildflowers should just be starting to show up.

See additional park info here. Maps

Thursday (2/28) 10am:
Meet at Panther Junction main park headquarters; get backcountry permits.

Locations of campsites for the trip will be determined based on permit availability (reservations not possible ahead of time).

Thursday-Saturday: camp at various places

Sunday 3/2: depart early for the long drive home.

Additional notes:
· I will be arriving late Wednesday night and camping somewhere in the park to allow for the early meet time on Thursday.

· Anyone in the Dallas area who wants to caravan, I will be leaving early, early Wed morning.

Attendees:

1. tdesanto (organizer)
2. Preacherman
3. open
4. open

Last edited:

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I feel bad I'm not making BiBe 2008 but whoever goes is bound to see some beautiful sights. Won't be quite as cold either.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Ursidae69 said:
Great trip, wish I lived closer to Big Bend. I look forward to the wildflower shots. :lurk:

Come on down, Chuck...you're not that far. In fact, you're not any farther away than I am.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
tdesanto said:
Come on down, Chuck...you're not that far. In fact, you're not any farther away than I am.

Yeah, I did consider it. :bike_rider: I have some stuff to do in Albuquerque though the 28th for work and on the 1st I have tickets to Linkin Park in Abq. You guys will have an awesome time. :sombrero:

DarinM

Explorer
Dang. I've been talking with Chuck, some guys in Tucson, and a few other people about doing a Big Bend trip. Unfortunately I'm going to be heading up to Wichita, KS that weekend. I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing pictures and getting some good info about the area from you. Have a great time.

snipecatcher

Adventurer
hey

akphotobob said:
I would love to meet but I will be there about March 7-17 (no firm times but around then).

Ditto. I'll be using my spring break for a trip there, if I can get off of work, of course. Scratch that. I'm going either way, they will have to fire me if they can't work with my schedule. :eek:
-Dan

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Bump.

sure would be great to meet a few more ExPo folks. If you've never been, you're missin' out...this is a really special place.

akphotobob

Observer
snipecatcher said:
Ditto. I'll be using my spring break for a trip there, if I can get off of work, of course. Scratch that. I'm going either way, they will have to fire me if they can't work with my schedule. :eek:
-Dan
What kind of spring break will you be on? I understand that spring break is one of the busier times in the park and a good time to avoid it. I am somewhat flexible in times but plan to be there around March 7-12. So I would be very interested in which spring break you mean. I am planning on meeting some buddies in Death Valley April 1 so I can't spend as much time in BBNP as I would like.

snipecatcher

Adventurer
hey

I'll probably be there the 16 through the 19th. I read that it is super busy for spring break, and I know all of the "campgrounds" are already booked, but I'm hoping we can still find some primitive back country places where I can park and camp. The nice thing about those is that you cannot book them in advance and you have to be there to get a pass for the primitive camping, so I won't be at a disadvantage to those people who planned a trip 900 years ago and reserved a place. I'm just hoping there are a few open, if not, we will be sleeping on the side of the highway somewhere. Anyone have any input on the matter?
-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online