BFGoodrich KO3 coming soon!

I bought KO2's in July for a trip to Ouray, Co from the Southern CA San Gabriel Mountains.
Bought them at Discount Tire, and they had NO problem balancing them in July, and after the trip to CO, one to AZ, and a few trips to Cleghorn here no vibes.
Trails they do very well so far.
We will see in another month how well they do in the snow here at home????

I have been running KO's for a long long time on my Jeeps, and when I needed new tires for my XJ I had heard all these stories about the KO2's that honestly....................... Just are not true so far!

Attachments

• IMG_4886.JPG
    IMG_4886.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 45

Grassland

I mean I'm honestly happy if people are having excellent results with them.
I don't want people to spend that kind of money and be unhappy that's for sure, especially when it usually means you have to run them 2-3 years minimum.
In my case they have been underwhelming, and if they were 15% cheaper my opinion wouldn't be as harsh.
They are indeed quiet for such an aggressive looking tread compared to two other ATs I've ran. And the load D have been stout for puncture resistance, and not falling apart on gravel roads. They also look good.

The KO3s would have to be a large amount better to justify what the going rate for BFG KO2 tires are currently.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Not at all impressed with my KO2s in winter.
Suck on ice. To be expected. Suck on hard pack snow.
Good on fresh sort of wet snow (the good snowman making kind) and ok in the powdery ice crystal snow IF there is something solid not too deep under as they will toss it up and out of the way ie dig down.
For a tire so expensive they really aren't particularly good at anything.

Cooper AT3 when the large sales are on, or something similar to that a little milder and with more siping is what I'd try next time.
Yes, winter performance is def something that is high on my list. Icy and snow packed roads. I'm guessing same conditions in Manitoba... Ideally winter tires are best but, I want to try and find a tire I can run year round.

Grassland

Yes, winter performance is def something that is high on my list. Icy and snow packed roads. I'm guessing same conditions in Manitoba... Ideally winter tires are best but, I want to try and find a tire I can run year round.
Yeah it's cold AF a couple months of the year and any non WT turns into a steel disc.
WT aren't mandated here so the roads become nice and glazed at all the intersections from the 40-50 series all seasons.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I'll be looking for tires within the next month.
So far it's between:

Toyo AT3
Falken AT3W
Nokian Outpost A/T

Depending on if the KO3's have the 3 peak mountain rating, I would have considered them depending on pricing.
But it sounds like they won't be available in the timeframe I need.

Read KO2's aren't great in winter. Had good luck with last two sets of Duratracs. Only complaint is they got loud with wear.
Hoping for something a little quieter this time round.
I'm loving my Nokian Outposts

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Have you had them through a winter season yet? (If there is a winter season where you are) If so, what where your impressions on icy and packed snow covered roads?

The Nokian's are actually at the top of my list based on how well their winter tires perform.

aknightinak

Word.

I'll be looking for tires within the next month.
So far it's between:

Toyo AT3
Falken AT3W
Nokian Outpost A/T

Depending on if the KO3's have the 3 peak mountain rating, I would have considered them depending on pricing.
But it sounds like they won't be available in the timeframe I need.

Read KO2's aren't great in winter. Had good luck with last two sets of Duratracs. Only complaint is they got loud with wear.
Hoping for something a little quieter this time round.

I'll still run my winters, just because why wouldn't I if I already have studded Hakkas, but we've had our first sessions of black ice, and the Outposts are the least scary AT I've driven on that stuff. They break loose a little here and again but hook right back up. Given, they only have 5k miles by now, but at 5-10 under posted and being gentle off the line, I haven't gotten an audible traction control alarm, and not too many blinks out of it over a 20 mile commute made up of about 15 of winding 2-lane and 5 of city roads where the place suddenly got roundabout-happy with its intersections. They stop well, but I also haven't put myself into an emergency braking situation yet. I haven't felt the need to bump it into 4wd at any point, either.

Prior, the Michelin LTXs I briefly had were probably the most winter-worthy AT I've tried. I hated my KO2s in the slick stuff. It's just a dirt road tire imo, and not a real comfortable one at that. Still, another cheechako pulled in last week from the Lower 48, to winter over in the seasonal rental next door, drving a Tacoma on K02s, so they've obviously got something that keeps people convinced.

Last edited:

Alloy

Not at all impressed with my KO2s in winter.
Suck on ice. To be expected. Suck on hard pack snow.
Good on fresh sort of wet snow (the good snowman making kind) and ok in the powdery ice crystal snow IF there is something solid not too deep under as they will toss it up and out of the way ie dig down.
For a tire so expensive they really aren't particularly good at anything.

Cooper AT3 when the large sales are on, or something similar to that a little milder and with more siping is what I'd try next time.

I've found them to be good on snow and offroad but they aren't an ice tire. They are horrible on snow/ice after 3-4 years old when the compond is hard.

mekcanix

Camper
I came from Duratrac to the K02 and I found them way better then my duratracs Interesting thing is I have had 3 sets of duratracs. My first set I was over the moon with thought they had gobs of winter traction. Second set right out of the gate were like I had different tires completely. I was all over the road and they had crappy winter grip unless I was bombing through snow. These 2 sets were on my Sierra. My Rebel came with a set of very low mileage Duratracs and again I felt they were less the desirable for me. last winter picked up the K02's and what a difference but to be honest I am not a fan of BFG as I had the MT's on my jeep after MTR's (original mtr's) and I thought they were crap, no comparison to the MTR. Maybe I am lucky, so far....knock on wood. But good god these things have gotten expensive. I am running 285/75 R17 just for reference.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I hope that BFG will start sizing the new tires correctly; they're some of the most under-sized tires on the market. If you want a 35 you have to buy a 37.

The other disappointment with the KO2 was the big drop in tread depth compared to its predecessor the KO. The KO had some of the deepest tread amongst A/T tires but now the KO2 is one of the shallowest. For example, the KO2 has only 15/32" tread depth, whereas Falken Wildpeak A/T3W has up to 19/32". That's an increase of 26% more tread than the BFG has.

The KO2 has been a real disappointment. Hopefully that's why BFG is introducing the KO3.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I hope that BFG will start sizing the new tires correctly; they're some of the most under-sized tires on the market. If you want a 35 you have to buy a 37.

The other disappointment with the KO2 was the big drop in tread depth compared to its predecessor the KO. The KO had some of the deepest tread amongst A/T tires but now the KO2 is one of the shallowest. For example, the KO2 has only 15/32" tread depth, whereas Falken Wildpeak A/T3W has up to 19/32". That's an increase of 26% more tread than the BFG has.

The KO2 has been a real disappointment. Hopefully that's why BFG is introducing the KO3.
Still haven't heard anything about them. Thinking I'm going to go with Wildpeak AT3W's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles