BFG T/A KO2 vs Cooper STT PRO?

I'm on my fourth set of Toyo AT's (Land Cruisers & Ram 1500). I'm mainly on the road but spend some time in dirt, mud, hills, sand, etc. Never one problem. Quiet on the pavement and a great life span - I love these tires. I had a set of KO2's for a spell and they do balance like crap as Tex68w pointed out - I replaced them with STT Pro's. Problem solved. I still would choose the Toyo AT's over everything for mixed use.

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
I've been running 31/10.5 and later 33/10.5 KO2 for 7 years on my Jeep TJ.
After the first couple of years started to go sleepery on the lightly wet road but this is normal for an A/T ,M/T .
It's just that my wife scared to death and wouldn't drive it any more (not bad).
Curious to try KO3....

MOguy

Explorer
After the first couple of years started to go sleepery on the lightly wet road but this is normal for an A/T ,M/T .
It's just that my wife scared to death and wouldn't drive it any more (not bad).
Curious to try KO3....
ATs should not get slippery on wet roads. ATs should be decent on all terrian. I have even had MTs that did great on rain covered and winter roads, my TrXus MTs. Other then wearing fast They were great tires but probably more aggressive then the OP wants.

My Flaken ATs are very good winter / rain tires.

What maybe happening is ATs wearing and lacking any siping. Siping is very important to wet or snow road grip. If the tires are wearing down to where there is little to no siping you can restore original grip by siping the tires yourself or having a good tire shop sipe them for you. Speedway Motors carries all kinds of siping tools.

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
I guess it's more of a Greek back road quality thing.
Tarmac is as slick as a 400 grit sand paper and as the dust sits on it all the 5 months long summer all it takes is a few drops of rain before it turns it into a soup...then it;s just a matter of steping on the gas pedal (2wd) on a 90 degrees turn before you start making funny(sceary) lines...No AT would perform safe on this situation...
Speaking about autumn...About winter and aquaplaning is another (equally) scary thing...
I like to drive with an ''egg under my right foot'' (both gas and brake pedal).

Can’t speak about the Coopers but I had a set of the KO2s on the Dodge, 285/75R16. Fanatastic tire in all respects except one: they didn’t wear well for me. I didn’t get the mileage out of them I expected. As mentioned in an earlier post, I’m trying out the Toyo AT2s on the Chevy, one size taller than stock 265/75R16.

chasespeed

Explorer
Curious to try KO3....
Just saying, you must be thinking of the KO.
The KO2 wasn't even released until Nov, 2014 according to BFG.
The old KO was whhh I'd sworn I'd never run BFGs again... yeah, wore like iron, but, that was the only good thing about it. Slick, etc.

The new KO2 is a much better tire. Though, seems to wear a bit faster. But that comes with traction.

Just my 2 pennies...

Chase

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Just saying, you must be thinking of the KO.
The KO2 wasn't even released until Nov, 2014 according to BFG.
The old KO was whhh I'd sworn I'd never run BFGs again... yeah, wore like iron, but, that was the only good thing about it. Slick, etc.

The new KO2 is a much better tire. Though, seems to wear a bit faster. But that comes with traction.

Just my 2 pennies...

Chase

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
You are so right...I was thinking KM2........My bad......Sorry.
Zoom in in the pic of the quote #59.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/odyssey-jeep-trailer.22846/page-4
This pic is already two years old and it's with my second set (33/10.5) of KM2.
My first set of KM2 (31/10.5) was in the first batch that was imported here.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I've had both. The Cooper STT and ST Maxx are far better at everything in Ohio. My truck will be getting a set of 285/75r17 ST Maxx's on the stock 17" wheels, and a set of 37x13.5r18 STT's (or Maxxis Trepadors) on 18x9 +18 Raceline Defenders for local use.

It's not fair to compare a sand tire like the BFG to the above Coopers.

Rotate them often, 5000m, to keep noise down. Cross rotate maybe as well.

aaen

Adventurer
I've had both on my 2016 Tacoma in a 17" wheel size.

BFG K02 - Great tyre, quiet, handles great, long tread life (>90,000kms, typically), works exceptionally well in a lot of terrain.

STT Pros- Fantastic traction off road,, on road characteristics, very noisy, short tread life( I'm currently at about 35,000kms on them and have gone through 60-70% of the tread life on them with constant rotations).

I am debating going back to the BFG Ko2's or possibly Duratracs, for my next set of tyres. sadly this will be within 8 months of purchasing the STT pros. I would not buy then again, based solely on the longevity of the tyre.

AutoXSS

Adventurer
I'm surprised nobody on here has at least tried these or heard of these?

These are about $27 cheaper per tire in my size(285/65-16) than the k02's. I currently have the duratracs and have crazy noise from them

1stDeuce

Explorer
Kuhmo tires had a reputation for using a fairly hard compound when I had experience with them 8 or so years ago. Good for wear, but absolutely horrible wet or winter traction. Perhaps they have changed the formulation since then... Let us know what you learn if you go that route.

I'll add that one more reason to buy Cooper tires is that their LT tires are designed, tested, and made in the good ol' USA... Same can be said for their off brands, Hercules and Mastercraft, as well as ******** Cepek... All made by Cooper, and I have yet to find a factory code that isn't Findlay Ohio on any of them... :)

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had KO2 in 34x10.5-17 and ST Maxx in 295/70-17 and 285/75-17 (2 sets) all on Jeep wranglers and for me the only way I would do the KO2 over the ST Maxx is if I spent all my time on icy roads. That is the only place I have found the KO2 to have any advantage over the ST Maxx's and then it is only a slight advantage. Every thing else I will give the edge to the ST Maxx's. I lik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles