BFG T/A KO2 in 275/55/20 on LR4

shedlock2000

Observer
Thanks guys! Late response, but after reading your thoughts and experiences as well as reviews on YouTube and several tire pages I’ve ordered a set of 275/55r20 KO2’s. Got them local, $1020 out the door mounted and balanced w/ my TPMS swapped over.

As stated I was thinking of going Toyo route, but I measured and there would be zero chance of them fitting without at least 3/4” spacers. My Stormer wheels have ET53(pulled them of the truck to clean and read info). The Duratracs were VERY close to the control arm. The section width of the KO2 is slightly smaller than the MT, and slightly smaller in diameter which will allow fitment without issue.

I found another LR4 owner with the same size on his; only had “minor” rub on frame horn at full lock. I too experienced this with my Duratracs when they were new. It wasn’t anything dangerous so to speak.

As much as I wanted to go to 18” Compo’s, I didn’t want to fork out $1350 plus another $1k or so for tires. My rack is on the way and I just installed Voyager sliders and GMRS radio.

I’ll post pics once fitted this week.

Look forward to the photos!

I find that tapatalk on any mobile device takes the pain out of photo uploading. I’m not quite sure why the full version of the forums makes posting photos so complex. The downside to hosting sites is that sometimes the photos disappear from forums when the person deletes them for space. This is problematic when people go to old threads for advice and all the photos have gone!

d0c43a9f1cc6f6a4cb46fae06e2b7ca6.jpg
ac6363f2d6c51877babf4e3e96697700.jpg
d3d43c897aab3f7ef1b6d029c5c1e41b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ncburch91

Wow, solid setup! I wasn't sure how I would like the k02's in a 20". Not a single complaint. When I do any off roading I'll just air down when needed. What lamps are you using up front on the bumper? My ProSpeed grill backets are on the way now; should be here this week. Planning on going with a round LED. Just now sure which one yet.

shedlock2000

Observer
Wow, solid setup! I wasn't sure how I would like the k02's in a 20". Not a single complaint. When I do any off roading I'll just air down when needed. What lamps are you using up front on the bumper? My ProSpeed grill backets are on the way now; should be here this week. Planning on going with a round LED. Just now sure which one yet.

Thanks! I am pretty happy with them too. Now the snow is melting (and freezing) a bit, I can confirm that the KO2s are not quite as responsive in corners in the snow and ice as are the Duratracs. Having said that, we tiptoe a difficult line where by dedicated winter tyres are the way forwards. The KOs are likely to be much less useful offroad, but I don't actually do that much mud work, so I dont care too much; for me, its all about road manners (the KO2s are a bit noisier than Duratracs), and snow and ice work (I could actually care less about their '10 ply' sidewalls either -- if anything, it makes them ride harder!)

The lamps are basic Britpart 8" 4x4 lamps (DA4088) -- I think they were $20 for the pair! I retro fitted 9600 lumen LED bulbs to them which cost $50 for the pair from my local Cap-It (https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-9600lm-Flexible-Adjustable-Plug-n-Play/dp/B01KNXNMHQ). The hard part was mounting them. I have, if you are interested, a proper Land Rover LR3 mounting kit for them; I ordered two by mistake and have one left over. They're yours for $150 -- though it sounds like you have grill brackets (I have not seen them, can you pop a photo up?). My money is on buying a simple lamp and then picking the bulb to retro-fit. There are thousands of bulb options now and you can have better colour temperature/lumen options if you buy separately.

Where I made my mistake was with going with a curved LED bar underneath the roof rack. I should have bought an Expedition Rack (OEM) instead, as I really am losing patience with the FR.

JerryRobertson

I have 3/4 spacers installed and can confirm the abuse on the driveline. Avoid them if you can but sometimes we need them if we chose a specific set up. I’ll be removing mine for the 17” wheel install.

Just my opinion, go BFG and you’ll never regret it. I have been on Toyo and Nitto and they just don’t compare all around to BFG.

I have Nitto on my 18” now and can’t wait to get BFG on them now that my front suspension is rebuilt. They wear horrible and cup badly IMO. great on the road, soft on the trail and the sidewalls are weak (three punctures).

Toyo MT I hear is a good tire so I can’t say much about it. I did have the AT years back on a full size and they were okay for daily use but didn’t perform like my BFG did off the tarmac. I do know that the reviews for the BFG KM2 are much better and proven. Cost of course is a factor for BFG but I figure after all the puncture problems on other brands, BFGs pay for themselves in confidence and reliability.

My 17” MT will be BFGs for sure.

Hope that helps.

Victory i've notices you have mentioned a few times using 17 inch rims on the LR3. Conventional wisdom has been that 18 inch rims have been the smallest size we can go due to caliper diameter. Is it possible to use 17 inch rims, and what mods need to be done? The thought of being able to use 255/70 R17 or 267/70 R17 sure
here would be nice.

Ray_G

Explorer
Victory i've notices you have mentioned a few times using 17 inch rims on the LR3. Conventional wisdom has been that 18 inch rims have been the smallest size we can go due to caliper diameter. Is it possible to use 17 inch rims, and what mods need to be done? The thought of being able to use 255/70 R17 or 267/70 R17 sure
here would be nice.

Take a look at his build thread.

V6 brakes + 17" wheels (sourced from the U.K.)

here would be nice.

Jerry, yes check out my build thread. It’s an easy mod to do, sourcing the Wheels is another story but AJM made that happen for me. There are other 17” steel wheel set ups as well from Europe that will work.

JWestPro is another member who did the mod. He is using an EBC brake set up that is really nice. All parts and procedures are detailed on my thread. PM me direct if you want.

Cheers

E

4349EE0E-138C-4ABD-8E47-A03E37B3B5BC.jpg

bezzita

I just go my Discovery 4 SDV6 2 days ago and thank you for this Thread..., I took the chance and ordered n fit the 275/55R20 on my 20" OEM Tyres. So far so good..., I have not really try lock to lock turn or full compression.

Managed to get the local Tyre retailer to match the online price but their price are fitted price.... couldn't be happier, they charged AU$430 each balanced and fitted.

Picking up the car 2 days ago:
Picking up the car Discovery 4.jpg

Buying and fitting BFG KO2 275/55R20
Discovery 4 fitting 275 55 R20 tyres.JPG

I like the looks... no mods on the height as yet..., this is on normal height.
Discovery 4 275 55 R20 fitted.jpg

Mr~K

Hi guys

This is my 2005 LR3/Discovery 3 HSE.

It's on 20" RRS Stormers fitted with 285/50/R20 Cooper Discoverer AT3s. I had no issues with rubbing at stock height. But the tyre is very close to the upper control arm. 3mm I would say.

I've since fitted adjustable lift rods. They are adjustable from stock to lifted. I've also invested in a Easi Lift control module by Land Rover Passion in Italy.

https://www.landroverpassion.com/en/product/suspensions-module-easy-lift-discovery-4/

This gives you a range of options for height selection. Easy to instal and use. It is a really well thought out system. You can control your suspension on the go using an application on your phone, off road of course.

Will most likely fit BFG AT when I next purchase tyres. My dad has run them on his 2003 Defender 110 pick up for years. They just last and last and never a puncture.

A very impressive tyre.

Cheers
Tom
9b2b1ef5173621b122c187383d5ff114.jpg
f35dee4a2fa27042b961d5048f78d07e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mavriks

Hi guys

This is my 2005 LR3/Discovery 3 HSE.

It's on 20" RRS Stormers fitted with 285/50/R20 Cooper Discoverer AT3s. I had no issues with rubbing at stock height. But the tyre is very close to the upper control arm. 3mm I would say.

I've since fitted adjustable lift rods. They are adjustable from stock to lifted. I've also invested in a Easi Lift control module by Land Rover Passion in Italy.

https://www.landroverpassion.com/en/product/suspensions-module-easy-lift-discovery-4/

This gives you a range of options for height selection. Easy to instal and use. It is a really well thought out system. You can control your suspension on the go using an application on your phone, off road of course.

Will most likely fit BFG AT when I next purchase tyres. My dad has run them on his 2003 Defender 110 pick up for years. They just last and last and never a puncture.

A very impressive tyre.

Cheers
Tom
9b2b1ef5173621b122c187383d5ff114.jpg
f35dee4a2fa27042b961d5048f78d07e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mavriks

Mr~K: I'm looking at the Easy Lift EAS tool: https://www.landroverpassion.com/en/product/suspensions-module-easy-lift-discovery-4/
Have you had a chance to use it; report back? Anyone tried the GAP EAS tool? I'm leaning to the GAP because it allows sensor calibration: https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/eascontrol/

but I like the alignment option of the Easy Lift!

I'm looking at the
BFG T/A KO2
265 60 18 because they are only 30.5" in diameter:
https://tiresize.com/tires/BFGoodrich/All-Terrain-TA-KO2.htm

BikePilot

I'm looking at the
BFG T/A KO2

I just installed Cooper ST Maxx tires in that size. Cooper runs 1/4* larger than bfg in the same size. Fits great with no rubbing on my 40mm offset wheels on my LR4. Seems to be the perfect size if you want to avoid rubbing without mods and retain approximately oem road charactistics.

Attachments

• IMG_20181113_082925.jpg
    IMG_20181113_082925.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20181113_082814.jpg
    IMG_20181113_082814.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 59
Mr~K: I'm looking at the Easy Lift EAS tool: https://www.landroverpassion.com/en/product/suspensions-module-easy-lift-discovery-4/
Have you had a chance to use it; report back? Anyone tried the GAP EAS tool? I'm leaning to the GAP because it allows sensor calibration: https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/eascontrol/

but I like the alignment option of the Easy Lift!

I'm looking at the
BFG T/A KO2

I have no experience with the Easy Lift, but I can highly recommend +1 million votes that the GAP Tool (get Bluetooth) will be the best and most practical money-saving piece of NECESSITY for anyone owning a modern Rover.

Any questions hit up GAP directly or any of us users direct! GAP customer and tech service are top notch! There is nothing you really can't do with a GAP Tool and its first use pays for itself!

stuartr

I have the GAP tool and have been very happy with it, though I am not using it so often, to be honest. I sometimes raise my height if I am on a longer off road journey, as the speed warning can be very annoying. I do not recommend raising your height for normal roads if you do not need to, however, especially if you traveling on gravel roads and using larger tires. I did a number on the paint on my doors and wheel arch covers, as the gravel kicks up and sprays the side of the car. This is more pronounced if you are a little over-zealous in your driving. I was more or less in a rally driver's mood over some gravel roads here and managed to get quite a few marks on my car, even though I have the standard mud flaps and the prospeed rock sliders (no steps, however).

As for tires, I have had both Cooper Discoverer AT3 and BFG KO2's on my D4 in Iceland. I had them in 265/65/18 on Compomotive wheels. Neither required any mods, and I have not noticed any issues with rubbing, other than a tiny bit at full lock in the BFG's when new. The Cooper were a minor disaster for me....I had multiple flats....at least four, though one was certainly my fault. I simply do not think they are strong enough for the D4. The BFG's on the other hand have been brilliant. They are louder and a bit harsher in the ride, but they have great traction off-road and I feel much more confident with them. Be aware that as heavier duty tires they are supposed to be run at higher pressures. I talked to BFG directly and gave them the vehicle specs and they told me to run them at 50 front and 56 psi rear, and to deflate by 7 or 8 psi off road. These pressures are extremely hard...I honestly bring them down to 30 or so for off road and feel like I could easily go lower, but just so you are aware that they are not the same as the handbook PSI ratings...

I should also say that I have one Cooper still in place as a spare, but it is a minor nightmare to get it into the spare slot while at normal pressure. Better to deflate. Mine got stuck once (not as much the tire as the winch), which of course you only find out in a situation where you need the tire. It happened to be 9pm on Iceland's version of Independence day and I still had two hour's drive home. Once I got it on the car, another tire got a flat just a few kilometers down the road (on a regular asphalt road). Needless to say, I was out of commission and I had to embarassingly ask my friend's daughter to come pick me up in her subaru station wagon. Never again...I will stick with the BFG's.

Last edited:
GAP = Suspension play, but most importantly maintenance, troubleshooting, and trend analysis. I guess that was my point on the plug for GAP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles