BFG KO2 pressure for snow and ice

iowalr4

Adventurer
For normal conditions, abs is fantastic for helping retain steering in heavy braking... In snow and ice... It is my Montana experience that the driver needs to get involved by pumping and managing the big brush strokes ...
Well true, I was thinking straight line stopping. If you need to turn then yes, the tires have to roll more and what you suggest makes sense.

Have just installed new BFG KO2 have gone up and down on pressures. Getting a ton of plowing on turns in light snow/slush P38. My old Mich M/S were unstopable even at 70k miles on them. These BFG suck. Any thoughts???

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Unlike mud, skinny is better in snow. Don't air down for snow. You want to bite in and cut through for traction. Your tire choice isn't ideal, do what everyone else said and slow down. In mud, you want velocity to maintain speed and forward motion. In snow, you want control and just enough headway to maintain that control.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
See, threads like these really make me want some duratracs for winter tires.

I had toyo AT2s last year and ran 40 front 42 rear. Worked fine. The weight on hills is what scares me, if you don't play it just right you'll slide like a 3 ton brick. I did once, thankfully right into a gentle ditch full of soft snow.

I thought the K02s were an improvement in snow over the last gen?

colb45

Observer
I thought the K02s were an improvement in snow over the last gen?

I would say they are a huge improvement over the last ones, had them on my vehicle and where brutal swore i would never guy another BF all terrain but saw the reviews on the new KO2s and jumped on them.

Jeff0093

I had KO2 on my old Rover P38 this last winter and they were amazing in the snow. To be honest they are great at everything so far. I really use it just for the winter and before I had some Michelin snows they were great also. The KO2 were just as good.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 6

jschmidt

Adventurer
In snow and ice, traction is maintained by those tiny lateral slices in your tire (called sipes). If you under air your tires these sipes won't deform as they are designed to do. Run your tires at stock pressure.

By the way, I know lots of people now refer to grooves as sipes. That's not actually correct, but even some magazine reviewers do it. They're named after John Sipe, who invented the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior