BFG KO2 pressure for snow and ice

harbinger808

Adventurer
Aloha Everyone,
I'll be driving in a few days with my family into areas with snow and ice :/ Not going to lie but I've never done this in all 39yrs of my life.
LR4 has at least an additional +150lb gear, RTT and awning are permanently attached. We aren't going off road just driving around and seeing some sites and friends. So here's the question, what pressure should I be running?...
Mahalo

PhulesAU

Explorer
This will be determined by Direct Experimentation. There is NO standard answer. IF you have on board air, you can start by dropping 10 psi and testing. front and rear might be different due to weight distribution.

kmlacroix

Explorer
I run my KO2's at normal pressure on my truck.

If you need better control, slow down. More Traction use sand and/or chains or cables.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
4WD does NOT allow you to go faster. Only faster to the nearest ditch. Slow down and when you can't hear the tires, be concerned.

Mack73

Adventurer
Overthinking it. Set the pressure to OEM specs on the door, put it in Snow mode and keep your speed down. Be smooth - only 1 action at a time - if you are braking don't turn and if you are turning don't brake. And if you start to slide don't jump on the brakes or make sudden movements.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I'd probably go with whatever the door says. Also I'd find an abandoned snowy parking lot to test snow driving theory might give you some experiance.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Also when on snow and ice, ignore the speed of others and slow down. There are many idiots on the roads who are clueless and driving vehicles not equipped for winter driving.

iowalr4

Adventurer
IMG_20161210_171159_zpsvas1pbpn.jpg

It's slick out there folks, take it easy. Remember how much land rovers weigh and slow down. (image is tonight in a 2013 LR4, snow mode with blizzaks DM-V2 and HD pack)

ColoDisco

Explorer
Tire pressures are not as big a factor with your terrain response. Your vehicle will not operate in terms of a jeep or Toyota because of the terrain response.

Slow down is the best advice. Only caveat I will add is your BFG are not snow tires and thus will not have as good of traction. My Duratracs are IMO better on snow and ice but also have a softer rubber compound. What I did when I got my LR3 was drive into a large open parking lot with snow and ice and test out the vehicles reactions to braking, under and over steer. I feel this had helped me the most when driving in traffic.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Thanks for all the advise everyone!!!
I'm a bit worried since I'll have my wife and kids with me but definitely going to try and find a big open space to "practice" once we get to the areas with snow. I trust my driving skills and my LR4 and remember all your advise.
Much Mahalo :)

iowalr4

Adventurer
If you find yourself needing to slow down and you are skidding, pump the brakes and keep pumping until you slow down enough to regain safe traction...... that is a life saver....

If you don't have ABS, sure pumping might be ok, but smooth easy braking is probably better advise. In emergency braking, laying on the brakes and letting ABS do the work is probably better than manual pumping. Especially modern 4 wheel ABS. It *is* pumping, and a lot faster than you could do it manually.

colb45

Observer
Slow down is the best advice. Only caveat I will add is your BFG are not snow tires and thus will not have as good of traction. My Duratracs are IMO better on snow and ice but also have a softer rubber compound.

FYI the new BFG KO2s are winter rated and is a "Snow Tire", have been tested in Canadian winter conditions. The old BFG KOs were an absolute disappointment..

I ran 44 psi front, 42 psi rear

iowalr4

Adventurer
KO2 is not a snow tire, winter rated is not the same thing as an actual snow tire.

I do think the sipping on the KO2 is pretty decent, better than a lot of options. I am sure it works ok in snow, but the rubber compound and tread is nowhere near as ideal for snow and especially ice as the purpose built snow tires. I plan on replacing my goodyear A/T's with KO2 this next year, but I still will swap wheels for my Blizzak DM-V2 during winter. I used to use my Goodyear wrangler silent armours in winter and they do just "ok". They are also 'snowflake winter rated'... Compared to the snows, they suck though.

I generally have this discussion with people who have never owned snow tires. But once they have owned snows, people tend to agree that its amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles