BFG KM3's or.....

Mack73

Adventurer
Need a new set of MT's for the LR3 - Size is 265/70/17, so there is a good amount of choices.

I work from home so on road performance isn't a huge priority but I do plan to run them all year round. Being in Seattle means plenty of rain/ice and 1 or 2 days a year or snow. I will have them siped to regain some traction.

I currently have KM2's (also siped) on it and they have performed well for me - never had an issue offroad and onroad performance is acceptable. Since the KM3's are essentially the same thing they will be a safe choice - but I wonder if there is something better?

Anyone with KM3's care to share how they like them? There are not a lot of reviews out. Or anything else I should be looking at? Cooper STT Pro? ******** Cepek Extreme Country? Kumho KL71?

I personally am running 265/70R17 TreadWright Mt Claws. They have performed excellent for me. Right now they have 65,000+ miles on them and are still wearing very even. They perform great on the highway, in rain, sleet, snow and mud. I will be buying another set again when these are done.

Sent from my WJ

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
From what I have been reading the STT Pro is tough to beat in the mud terrain category, also take a look at the new General Grabber X3. But FWIW I'm about to replace my old km2's with ko2's, they just seem to work best for Utah's undecided weather and terrain.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
On my first set of STTs and am loving them so far- surprisingly quiet! Another less aggressive option is the Falken A/T- have them on my 150 in 35’s and could not be happier!

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
I have the KM3's on my Tacoma, only been on for a few months but so far I like them. I had the KM2's on my Jeep JK and thought they were great. These seem a little beefier for the same size compared to the KM2 and, IMHO, look better. I haven't had a lot of snow runs yet, but so far they perform as expected and they are obviously great at mud and rock. If I keep the pressure on the upper end, they aren't too loud for me, but if the pressure is on the lower end (on road), they can be quite loud due to sidewall "biters". I would recommend them to someone wanting a solid MT that can do a lot of things pretty well. I was considering the KO2, but went the way of beefier. So far, I don't regret that decision. Good luck!

Swede.

If you liked the KM2's the KM3's should be all the same but a little better. The tests I've seen all say that. They all also however say that they both are borderline suicidal on ice... But we all know only studded tires work on actual ice right!

karlmagnum

Observer
The Kumho KL71 is a decent choice. I was satisfied with their on and off road performance. The treadwear of these kumho tires was substantially even until towards the end of their life. They were just louder than I've expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94