BFG KDR2+ 35x10.50x15 Dakar

doug720

Expedition Leader
The side shoot has "Not For Highway Use" dead center on sidewall. At least this model is not DOT!

Interesting tire though.

doug720

Expedition Leader
No way that is DOT when sidewall has molded "Not For Highway Use" and "For Racing Purposes Only!"

Will you get a ticket...maybe, but have an accident and see what happens. There is a reason BFG molded those words into the tire.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
There is a reason trucks don't come with lift kits, bigger tires that over power breaks, non pedestrian safe bumpers and blinding headlights but we use them. What happens in an accident? The rubber in these tires is expensive and limited in supply is why they are not marketed to consumers. The whole carcas is different as well. They also can't have the adverage Joe on a tire that blows away and lasts loner than everthing else they sell. These tires will pound thru the sharpest rocks and stick like glue on everthing else. If your in need of an extream tire or wanted to drive across the world this would be the tire that will handle it. Buff the side wall with a scotch bright if your worried and keep a tire sticker in your glove compartment. My last tire from BFG racing tires lasted 13 years. Now I'm on new Maxxis consumer tires and they feel like paper bags under the jeep. No comparison. Two won't hold air after 6 months. The best thing about race tires is that they don't bounce. They hit like a sack of flower and you can't kill them if you do hit hard. If that's what you want then they are available.

No way that is DOT when sidewall has molded "Not For Highway Use" and "For Racing Purposes Only!"

Will you get a ticket...maybe, but have an accident and see what happens. There is a reason BFG molded those words into the tire.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
Depends on the officer pulling you over. Many have no clue about sticky tires. if they can’t visually see the dot stamp some will just cite you and let the courts sort it out. You know, guilty till proven innocent.

My wife got pulled over one day coming home from an autox and the cop gave her hell about the tires because he couldn’t find the dot approval stamp. Some tire manfs only put the stamp on the side that’s supposed to be on the outside and since that edge was spent, I had swapped the tire on the wheel to keep even wear. Fortunately I’d been hassled before and had all the specs in the glovebox for that exact tire so she wasn’t cited, but he was planning on it till she called me asking what to do.

Scrubbing off the off-road use only stamp is a good idea though. Hadn’t thought of that. Will come in handy here soon once I finally source some rally tires.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I don't care what tire people run, I wanted to point out that the statement "Tires are DOT" was incorrect.

lugueto

Adventurer
There is a reason trucks don't come with lift kits, bigger tires that over power breaks, non pedestrian safe bumpers and blinding headlights but we use them. What happens in an accident? The rubber in these tires is expensive and limited in supply is why they are not marketed to consumers. The whole carcas is different as well. They also can't have the adverage Joe on a tire that blows away and lasts loner than everthing else they sell. These tires will pound thru the sharpest rocks and stick like glue on everthing else. If your in need of an extream tire or wanted to drive across the world this would be the tire that will handle it. Buff the side wall with a scotch bright if your worried and keep a tire sticker in your glove compartment. My last tire from BFG racing tires lasted 13 years. Now I'm on new Maxxis consumer tires and they feel like paper bags under the jeep. No comparison. Two won't hold air after 6 months. The best thing about race tires is that they don't bounce. They hit like a sack of flower and you can't kill them if you do hit hard. If that's what you want then they are available

So you're saying these tires last longer and are stickier than regular tires? I've always taken these as mutually exclusive. Do they really last longer? I figure they perform better, but off road, not on it.

I've only seen a few people use racing tires before. Mainly the BFG Baja tires. I thought they were crazy using super expensive racing tires that won't last a lot of miles. I still haven't changed my mind though, but your post struck my curiousity.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
"Crawler" and "Stickie" tires don't last long on gravel, and especially ice covered gravel. Where 90% of my off road time is spent. I doubt these race tires are a good choice for me. Especially on a 6900# truck with 2000# of cargo.

Aren't these thousands of dollars, a piece?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I would think your insurance company would abandon you in the event of a crash.
one look at the non-DOT tire on there.

Westy

Adventurer
It would be great if BFG manufacturered this size for 16" wheels in readily available All Terrain or MT treads. It makes a lot more sense versus the 12.5 or larger versions currently in 315 or 35" sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles