BFG K02s with rock damage

Brav

What do you think.. looks like it went through the first layer, barely into the second? Trash, or OK to run? these are 6-ply sidewall, load range D

Attachments

• IMG_4416.jpg
    IMG_4416.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4417.jpg
    IMG_4417.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4418.jpg
    IMG_4418.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 146

dreadlocks

no full size spare to swap it out with? If not id replace em, those sidewalls look like they been through hell even w/out the rock damage.. if your airing down, you may be going a bit too far.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm not worried. My work trucks duratracs look even worse.

Looks like you have enough wear, that a couple fresh tires won't be a waste, at least.

jadmt

ignore button user
most tire manufacturers will tell you if the cords are showing they are trash. I would use that as a spare tho no problem. if you have road hazard they for sure 100% replace that tire.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I would only run long term if the sidewall fabric is not cut. That thick rubber provides protection for the cords/plies. It does look like you may have been running with tire pressures too low for the conditions.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
being an autoxer cheapass, I run tires till the nylon shows too much that a sharpie wont get me through tech. so id run those myself, but never at a high speed where I could lose control from a blowout and risk hurting someone else besides myself.

im with dreadlocks though. I didn't think ko2's had been out long enough to look that dry rotted. is that what happens when you run super low pressures for extended periods of time?

hemifoot

Observer
i'd run them if were just me,but not with my family in it.i won't even carry my camper if my tires have a patch.they get relegated to winter tires.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
That isn't dry rot. That is rubber erosion from driving on sharp rocks (small or large). The KO2 has some serious resistant rubber, a on-road tire would have most of the sidewall exposed.

Some granite like materials will do that. Even when in "sand" like breakdown state. That is because the solid rock, and each grain is a cube with sharp edges. Hurts just to walk on it...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
What do you think.. looks like it went through the first layer, barely into the second? Trash, or OK to run? these are 6-ply sidewall, load range D
Not a lot of sidewall exposed with low profile tires. I'd chuck them.

Brav

Yea I had to run 20psi on some aggressive rocky and steep terrain, and had to pull an old RR Classic up and down a mountain that broke down. I usually run 45+ psi under normal conditions. no cords are cut, just barely exposed. I have a full spare on roof, can swap.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
20psi was probably fine, especially on a light rig. Some of that terrain just eats tires.

Brav

20psi was probably fine, especially on a light rig. Some of that terrain just eats tires.

She def is not light at 5800 lbs. Pain in the ass in some snow. Also, cant go lower than 20" with the Brembos, tried to fit 18s.. These tires have taken a beating with small sidewall and heavy load. I also tow our Airstream with this rig. Overall great tires

luthj

Engineer In Residence
It depends on width, but at 8800lbs on 245/75s I can run 22f 30r for bad rocks. My KO2s survived some 50k miles, including Australia's outback dirt "roads". Despite all the high pressure (65psi) rock strikes, they did great. Finally had the internal belts break at the end. They still held air! Very tough tire.

Brav

It depends on width, but at 8800lbs on 245/75s I can run 22f 30r for bad rocks. My KO2s survived some 50k miles, including Australia's outback dirt "roads". Despite all the high pressure (65psi) rock strikes, they did great. Finally had the internal belts break at the end. They still held air! Very tough tire.
OK cool, good to know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles