BFG All Terrains vs Rugged trail life

ripperj

Explorer
Anyone have a feel for how BFG ATs in 33" or 35" will wear compared to stock BFG Rugged trails on a 2500 HD? The stock tires have about 35k on them with just over 50% tread life left.
My use is 90% road.i have not had the ATs in over 20 years
Thanks
Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
if the rugged trails are lt, they should wear better. If they are the P series RT, then you will be very disappointed with them, being they are on a 2500 HD heavyweight.

ripperj

Explorer
My original post was not too clear, the Rugged Trails are the stock tires and I am pleased with the wear so far. Not near the truck, but I know they are load range E

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Oh, the all terrain is a better tire, im not sure of the wear but they sell a bajillion of them every year so im sure they are awesome.

cactusjk

Explorer
BFG AT KOs wear great, are quiet on the road and are awesome off road in dry conditions. The only tire I use.

camper357

Observer
bfg tires

I've ran both on F150's. The two sets of LT rugged trails I had were worthless on anything except dry pavement after 20k miles. They were oem Ford takeoffs. The at's were LT with a D load rating. They were on a different F150 when I got it. They were half worn and I put another 50k miles on them trying to wear them out.

fortel

Adventurer
Never had the Rugged Trails but I did run a set of the ATs on my 2001 F150 Supercrew. I had 68,000 miles on them when I traded the truck and several of those years I was pulling a travel trailer around. Never had a problem with balancing, uneven wear, excessive noise, or any other negative issues. I know some say its an old design but look at how many people still buy and run them - that speaks volumes in my opinion. They don't like mud but neither do many of the true AT tires. They were great in the snow. I'll be hard pressed not to put a set on my 2012 Frontier when I wear out the BFG Long Trails that came on it.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Sorry, but my Toyota Quad-Cab came with BFG AT's and I found them to be a huge disappointment. They load up easily with mud and won't shed it, wear horrible, especially in rocky conditions, and don't really have very good traction. The chucks out of the tread were frighteningly large. There is truth the saying, the harder you try to be master of all conditions, the easier it is to fail.

kayadog

Adventurer
New BFG All Terrains

If you can, I would wait to check out the redesigned All Terrain KO2 coming out in a couple of months.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-120286.html

I ran BFG AT KO's in the past and was satisfied with them but have since run General Grabber AT2's, Hankook ATM's, and Cooper AT3's and like them just as much or more and with rebates through Discount Tire Direct got them all for a lot cheaper than the BFG's.

enzo

Explorer
Sorry, but my Toyota Quad-Cab came with BFG AT's and I found them to be a huge disappointment. They load up easily with mud and won't shed it, wear horrible, especially in rocky conditions, and don't really have very good traction. The chucks out of the tread were frighteningly large. There is truth the saying, the harder you try to be master of all conditions, the easier it is to fail.

My last 2 Tacoma TRD ORs came with Rugged Fails. Those tires were horrible and don't last. I replace all tires with BFG AT KOs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles