BF Goodrich KM2 question for you South Western desert types

goin camping

Explorer
Jeep needs new shoes and I'm liking the BF Goodrich KM2.

Any of you western desert types like them or is there another tire that's better overall for our sandy, hardpack, deep sand and rocky deserts. If it matters I'm running 30x9.5 sized tires.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Can't argue the durability/performance of the BFG KM2s, but

Don't forget the Hankook Dynapro MT-load range "D"--they're on top of the off-road tires records

Sanddriving013.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Had a set of KM2 255/85-17's on Miss Rubi - Discount Tire warrentied them out for being unbalanceable after less than two months and repeated (like 6) attempts to get them to ride right.

Had a set of KM2 35/12.5-17's on my Power Wagon, found the traction lacking for a mud tire. For a D rated tire, they were too soft was well, and I was always concerned about cutting a side wall if aired down below 25 PSI. At 18 PSI, they were almost flat. Then again, the truck is right at 8200 lbs with me in it.

Personally, I've not been happy with BFG's for many years, both the AT, old style MT, and the new KM2's have not met my expectations. The stock AT's on the Power Wagon shreaded in under a 1000 miles - the tread chunked out very easily with the 404 ft/lbs of torque on tap. The old MT were too hard and chunked quickly, but had good traction. The new KM's wouldn't clean out in AZ mesa top clay, and didn't get a real good bite in snow either.

There is a fairly decent selection of tires in that size. If you need a mud tire, the Hankook recommended above is available. The tire we're currently using on the JKUR is the Falken Wild Peak (AKA Rocky Mountain at Discount Tire). It's been real good in everything but mud. It also offers better MPG than a MT, is quieter, and does much better in snow, ice, sand, and most other dry conditions than an MT will. We're also using a set of the 30/9.50-15's on our StarCraft 10RT, so I know what the Falken's look like in that size, and I'd recommend you take a look at'm.

Mark

KJP

I don't live in the Southwest, but I've wheeled a lot down there, so thought I'd chime in. Thing about KM2s is that you have to air them down quite a bit to make them work well. Most folks only take their 33's or 35's to 15 pounds - for the KM2 you have to take them down to much less. I found 11 pounds in the front and 9 pounds in the rear (for 35's) made a huge difference - that's where they start to shine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles