BEWARE OF RTIC COOLERS

Honu

lost on the mainland
good summary :)

I hope to think a few on the making side are good but it seems rare and often then are smaller companies not huge ones and when it gets big there will be those neck breakers in charge at some point sadly

Americans value integrity. Particularly if they're at the losing end of a lack of it. American commercial enterprise? That's different story. The pursuit of money making in America will lead you to break a kitty cat's neck if it wins you the money you want. Signed, your's truly, a former Wells Fargo commercial banker. LOL :)

perterra

Adventurer
Americans value integrity. Particularly if they're at the losing end of a lack of it. American commercial enterprise? That's different story. The pursuit of money making in America will lead you to break a kitty cat's neck if it wins you the money you want. Signed, your's truly, a former Wells Fargo commercial banker. LOL :)

I think they used to value integrity more than they do now. Most I know these days seem to value a 4000 sq ft home with 3 a/c units and a BMW in the garage as much as integrity. But get out in the country and it seems integrity means something, but still it mostly seems integrity is less important than a good deal. I think it's there in many places, just got to scratch deep to find it.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The Yeti/RTIC settlement seems to be based upon look and feel considerations. There is nothing magical or revolutionary about rotomolded coolers with decent insulation and features. Change a few product details and the issues go away. See Pelican, Orca, Bison, Canyon, Ozark Trail, etc. They all accomplish the same objectives, but in a different form factor.

2.ooohhh

I bought an RTIC 45 over the weekend at the sale price, showed up Wednesday and I couldn't be happier for what it cost.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
And the RTIC statement:

RTIC IS VERY PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE AN AGREEMENT REACHED WITH YETI

RTIC, the leading direct to consumer online retailer of premium coolers and drinkware announces that it has entered into a settlement agreement with YETI today for the purpose of avoiding the additional costs and uncertainty of continued litigation. The dispute has been amicably resolved and as part of the agreement, RTIC has agreed to redesign only those products involved in the dispute.

As part of the Agreement, RTIC is precluded from commenting further, but RTIC is very pleased with the settlement and considers it a win.

RTIC had previously announced last month changes to its 2017 product lines and expects to rollout new products and updated existing products starting in early Spring. RTIC will continue to operate as normal selling all the RTIC brand of products as provided on the www.RTICcoolers.com website keeping true to its promise to deliver "Over Built – Not Over Priced" products to all its RTIC fans & customers.

About RTIC

RTIC is the leading direct to consumer online retailer of premium coolers and drinkware. It was founded by twin brothers John and Jim Jacobsen and has generated almost 1.5 million followers on Facebook since shipping its first cooler in September 2015 and now employs over 100 people. RTIC is based in the Houston suburb of Cypress and owns fulfilment centers in Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Harrisburg & Fresno occupying over 300,000 square feet of space.

Honu

lost on the mainland
awesome :)

And the RTIC statement:

RTIC, the leading direct to consumer online retailer of premium coolers and drinkware announces that it has entered into a settlement agreement with YETI today for the purpose of avoiding the additional costs and uncertainty of continued litigation. The dispute has been amicably resolved and as part of the agreement, RTIC has agreed to redesign only those products involved in the dispute.

As part of the Agreement, RTIC is precluded from commenting further, but RTIC is very pleased with the settlement and considers it a win.

RTIC had previously announced last month changes to its 2017 product lines and expects to rollout new products and updated existing products starting in early Spring. RTIC will continue to operate as normal selling all the RTIC brand of products as provided on the www.RTICcoolers.com website keeping true to its promise to deliver "Over Built – Not Over Priced" products to all its RTIC fans & customers.

About RTIC

RTIC is the leading direct to consumer online retailer of premium coolers and drinkware. It was founded by twin brothers John and Jim Jacobsen and has generated almost 1.5 million followers on Facebook since shipping its first cooler in September 2015 and now employs over 100 people. RTIC is based in the Houston suburb of Cypress and owns fulfilment centers in Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Harrisburg & Fresno occupying over 300,000 square feet of space.

steelhd

Observer
Search for rotomolded coolers on Alibaba. The Chinese are in the game making coolers identical to Yeti's competitors. Probably in the same factories. Rotomolding isn't rocket science, coolers don't have many moving parts, and there are few performance critical quality failure points. It won't be long until Yeti equivalents are are as common and inexpensive as standard Colemans.

Honu

lost on the mainland
hmmmmmm

And the RTIC statement:

About RTIC

jschmidt

Adventurer
Dueling press releases. Rtic appears to have conceded on every point, paying money and cease and desist. Thats a shame because they proved that Yeti pricing was completely unrelated to cost of goods.

Anyway, we'll see if Rtic can mount a new product line. Supply chain has never been their forte.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Wow. Im late to the party as usual, but man you cooler fanatics are an intense bunch. Me? Im not a Yeti consumer, nor RTIC, but Id only heard good things about them before this thread. In fact, I watched a review/test where the RTIC kept ice longer than the yeti. No, I dont have a link, nor the details, but it seemed like a solid test from what I remember.

Im using an OLD Coleman I got for $3.00 at a garage sale. Its in great shape and does the job I grew up knowing a cooler was supposed to do. I usually check out the Yetis and other models at stores when I see them, but $400+ is a lot of Jeep parts for me. Maybe Ill check out the Ozark ones Im hearing more about in this thread. If I was an equipment salesman, out in my truck everyday wtih customers and meeting them in the field, then yeah, Id pony up and bolt a Yeti to the truck bed for daily use and the ability to offer a cold beverage to anyone while we stand in the field. Or if I was an outfitter guide. But Im not; Im just a guy with a Jeep and a little adventure trailer who likes to travel. So $3 coleman for me.

TXBK

I own products from both, and enjoy both. It doesn't make a lot of sense for me to say Yeti is over-priced, after investing so much. But, RTIC makes a pretty strong case that Yeti is over-priced.

Neither press release from either company provide any fact. It is possible that both parties are satisfied with the outcome and both companies feel that they won. The available information does not present a black & white case. The majority of Yeti is, after all, owned by a New York-based private equity firm. Yeti may have the funds to bankrupt RTIC in court, and by getting out of court, RTIC has succeeded. Who knows? Surely, no one here.

Here is what I can find of the case docket if anyone is interested. https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/txwd/762663/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne