Better roof rack using factory mounting holes?

twocommas

Observer
I am looking to upgrade from my factory roof rack on a 1998 Montero. I see a lot of good looking racks on this forum, but most are gutter mounted. Does anyone have a roof rack that uses the existing mounting holes? Have you made it yourself, or is it off the shelf?

Thanks!

rock_shoes

Observer
Bump. I would be very interested in the same thing for a SWB Gen 2 if anybody knows of a good one.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Typically, gutter mounts are stronger than where the "luggage rack" mounts. On most vehicles, Monteros included, the gutter/drip rail is actually where the roof and sides of the vehicle are joined together, a lot like the lid of a soup can. On newer vehicles, that joint has moved up onto the roof- usually covered by some black trim. If you just prefer the looks of it mounting up top, then you can always look for an unfinished rack and have any decent fabricator make feet for it.

rock_shoes

Observer
Any chance the spacing on a gen 1's gutters are the same as a gen 2's? That would open up a world of possibilities for the SWB Gen 2 crowd (I know we're probably a pretty small group in north america).

twocommas

Observer
Typically, gutter mounts are stronger than where the "luggage rack" mounts. On most vehicles, Monteros included, the gutter/drip rail is actually where the roof and sides of the vehicle are joined together, a lot like the lid of a soup can. On newer vehicles, that joint has moved up onto the roof- usually covered by some black trim. If you just prefer the looks of it mounting up top, then you can always look for an unfinished rack and have any decent fabricator make feet for it.

Thanks for this info. I will reevaluate gutter mounted racks

raysobi

Adventurer
de14dd50fca9a35a8568b7dbf1467af5.jpg

For those of you that fabbed the hinges to the drainer in the pic a above.

When the door is closed, does it leave any gap? I'm just curious how it will look when the door is closed on Montero since it has a door reveal rubber around it.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
de14dd50fca9a35a8568b7dbf1467af5.jpg

For those of you that fabbed the hinges to the drainer in the pic a above.

When the door is closed, does it leave any gap? I'm just curious how it will look when the door is closed on Montero since it has a door reveal rubber around it.

That depends on how far down the hooks go- if they're designed properly, the material doesn't need to be tremendously thick or wrap underneath too far. Most home-grown racks are probably overbuilt in that sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier