better fabric-design for flippac????

kpherzog

Flippac canvas replacement

Does anyone know who actually made the original Flippac tent? I am pretty sure that FRP (now defunct) contracted that out, just as they did the torsion bar manufacture. It seems to me that the original supplier of the tent may be interested in selling replacements directly to Flippac owners, especially if they happen to be stuck with some inventory that FRP never used.

. . Kurt

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I should start making them...its not very difficult and the material I used in the second top design is 100% waterproof and no roof seams to leak...but I do have condensation to deal with...so I crack open a window...

who is interested to get a top made that doesnt need a rain fly if the price is around $800? your choice of colors from ripstopbytheroll.com lol...

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i would say to everyone save the $400+ on a leaky non waterproof slo sails fly and just get in on wanderer if its really waterproof.

lillustra

Wanderer this sounds very exiting . Would the tent have the same design? 6 windows? The mesh portions will have zippers and would they be on the inside or outside? Logistically, I assume, I would have to drive my Flippac to you. Where are you? And how long would it take you to install the tent? Finally we see some light. :)))

austintaco

Explorer
i would say to everyone save the $400+ on a leaky non waterproof slo sails fly and just get in on wanderer if its really waterproof.

We bought a SLO fly and had zero issues. We did seam seal the heck out of it. Maybe that's why?

austintaco

Explorer
If you sold replacement tents for that amount, it would seem that used Flippacs would have a market. With a Sway Away bar and a new tent, you could have a refurbished and better Flippac for a few thousand. Owners would still have to worry about the inner tubes being rusted, but that's not as common as the T bar failure. I'll be following this thread.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Wanderer this sounds very exiting . Would the tent have the same design? 6 windows? The mesh portions will have zippers and would they be on the inside or outside? Logistically, I assume, I would have to drive my Flippac to you. Where are you? And how long would it take you to install the tent? Finally we see some light. :)))
I would say the design is up to you as long as its based on the original measurements. I would need to have you get me quite a few point to point measurements and I will need a few pictures to get the attachment points done correctly..my nemo style top didn't take long to stitch..

I would imagine if I do it correctly anyone could replace their own top or be able to take it to a local shop that does boat awnings to have it installed like the jeep wrangler guys sometimes have done.

I'm in Columbus Ohio (close enough) and know a shop near cincinatti I'm sure wouldn't mind us working out of for a couple hours.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Doc187

Observer
I'll buy one. Can give measurements but can't make it to OH. If someone is close enough to make the trip that would be great because I'm sure in person measurements would be best.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
There are a few running around here..iirc there are 2 different sizes. Full-size and mid size.

If I can get one of my local owners to let me measure one for about an hour I would be set.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

RHINO

Expedition Leader
its been seam sealed,,, it drips from the material, and btw slo doesnt say its waterproof, only water resistent. maybe i just wore it out using it too much

ive had $100 tents that didnt leak. i figure since i wont make it worse i might have a go at silicone dipping it.

austintaco

Explorer
its been seam sealed,,, it drips from the material, and btw slo doesnt say its waterproof, only water resistent. maybe i just wore it out using it too much

ive had $100 tents that didnt leak. i figure since i wont make it worse i might have a go at silicone dipping it.

Just curious about the age of your fly. Did you get one of the first ones? Was there a material change?

Doc187

Observer
I'll buy one. Can give measurements but can't make it to OH. If someone is close enough to make the trip that would be great because I'm sure in person measurements would be best.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer

Im working on at least one local guy for measurements next week!!

then to see how fun this will be!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles