better fabric-design for flippac????

RHINO

Expedition Leader
woulda bought the rain fly several times, but the thought of putting it on and off and carrying it with me is just silly for a tent that shoulda been water tight to begin with

dirtpro06

I'm a ways out from making a vehicle tent purchase but an updated Flippac tent would definitely make the choice easier! Very much looking forward to what comes out of this.

Frostymug

Observer
I'm a ways out from making a vehicle tent purchase but an updated Flippac tent would definitely make the choice easier! Very much looking forward to what comes out of this.

Don't hold your breath. The AT replacement tent has been talked about for three or four years now. As stated before, it's just not a priority for AT. My guess is a quality replacement tent is not financially feasible to produce.

dirtpro06

Roger, just tossing in my name in as an interested party. I know when developing a new product the size of the market is very important.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Don't hold your breath. The AT replacement tent has been talked about for three or four years now. As stated before, it's just not a priority for AT. My guess is a quality replacement tent is not financially feasible to produce.

Truth of the matter is I had arrangements to have a prototype tent made, shell, hoops, and original tent material were all ready to go. Then the person doing the work dropped off the face of the earth.

I recently heard where he might be now and I'm once again pursuing the matter.

I would like a good tent on my own Flippac as much as you guys do.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
certainly that person is not the only one who can produce the goods,,, why not find another more eager participant?

nemo already makes a tent for the "other" project,,, why not have them simply widen it a bit for the flip pac?

Clutch

<---Pass
Truth of the matter is I had arrangements to have a prototype tent made, shell, hoops, and original tent material were all ready to go. Then the person doing the work dropped off the face of the earth.

I recently heard where he might be now and I'm once again pursuing the matter.

I would like a good tent on my own Flippac as much as you guys do.

Bummer... shame to side line a project over one person. Seems any sail or boat cover manufacture could handle it.

I am looking for a Flippac myself...(keep on missing them though, dang it!), I would be interested in a new tent material too. Even thought of buying the material myself and take it to a boat cover maker, there are a few in AZ.

Last edited:

austintaco

Explorer
Bummer... shame to side line a project over one person. Seems any sail or boat cover manufacture could handle it.

I am looking for a Flippac myself...(keep on missing them though, dang it!), I would be interested in a new tent material too. Even thought of buying the material myself and take it to a boat cover maker, there are a few in AZ.

Honestly, the tent and fly don't bother me at all. If I were to put money into upgrading the flippac, it would be replacing the torsion bar and the metal arms with something that won't rust. It's on my list, just haven't got to it yet.

billy bee

Adventurer
Seems any sail or boat cover manufacture could handle it.

Not it you want a good-fitting tent. I worked with a very good sailmaker to produce the FlipPac fly. It is a good-fitting product but a sailmaker or canvas shop does not build to the exacting standards of a tent manufacturer. Making a tent is also way more expensive than making a cover or a fly.

We had thought about making some modifications to existing tents to make them better. Seems we all got off onto other tangents. Not sure we'll have an opportunity to do much with this until after this summer.

bb

Clutch

<---Pass
Honestly, the tent and fly don't bother me at all. If I were to put money into upgrading the flippac, it would be replacing the torsion bar and the metal arms with something that won't rust. It's on my list, just haven't got to it yet.

So the existing flys AT sells is good enough then? What is available now, wouldn't keep me from buying a FP...(well a used one). Buy an AT fly and call it good.

What would you do for the hinge and torsion bar?

Perhaps regular hinges, with gas strut assist, then a cable cantilever system to support the lid while open...similar to the Wildernest?

Saw a similar type camper on TacoDocs forum...it was automated opening. Which I wouldn't want...but they had "normal" hinges.

attachment.php

Not it you want a good-fitting tent. I worked with a very good sailmaker to produce the FlipPac fly. It is a good-fitting product but a sailmaker or canvas shop does not build to the exacting standards of a tent manufacturer. Making a tent is also way more expensive than making a cover or a fly.

We had thought about making some modifications to existing tents to make them better. Seems we all got off onto other tangents. Not sure we'll have an opportunity to do much with this until after this summer.

bb

Good to know...I have gotten to, is researching the fabric [which I have no idea what I am doing!] :p

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018

I'm sorry but that is just not the case. Building a tent out of a heavier weight material is a skill that is almost lost in North America. There are a few people who can still do it but not many.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior