Better 6p tent than an REI basecamp? Need stormproof and good ventilation.

zimm17

Observer
I'm already invested into an REI basecamp 6 which was $500 w/ footprint. However I'm not happy with it. The full coverage rain fly (which I need in south florida) has no option to be partially open for ventilation yet keep out rain. It's either fully rolled up, in which case the back window lets all the rain in during a suprise shower. The only way to release the rolled up toggle loops is to fully unzip the door on both sides in order to reach out and unfasten them. Terrible design.

New tent has to be storm proof. We got hit by a squall while beach camping in the keys and were the only tent to survive in the campground, but that's only because my wife and I were inside physically holding the walls from collapsing while we had full on storm winds hitting us for 20 minutes. The roof vents leaked even when closed so everything got a little wet. Several of my pole sections are permanently bent now too.

We need to sleep 2 adults, 2 kids, and dog. Size wize the basecamp 6 is just fine. We could even do with a lower roof height for more wind resistance. I don't need to stand in it.

I don't want to worry about the tent the time the sky looks like this (the other tent was totaled).503291

dcg141

Adventurer
Its hard to defend against southern thunder storms. The amount of rain and wind can be brutal. A 6 person makes it more difficult because of the height. Probably a Springbar is going to be your best bet.

tatanka48

i had an Alaskan Guide Tent from Cabelas at one time that took on some stout windage

they're somewhat of a PITA to erect butt their geodesic configuration adds a huge amount of strength

zimm17

Observer
I’m thinking springbar or oz. I have a 5.5’ pickup bed so springbar might fit better. I have 2 cub scouts so I’ll be tent camping for years to come. Awning for shade would be nice for Miami.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
The base camp has pop up vents at the top, works fine for my family of four. We have a 9 year old base camp 4 that’s been bomber in storms.

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
Perhaps the 2019 REI Kingdom 6? REI added some vents on the rainfly this year. I have the Kingdom 8 for my family of 6 and with the rainfly vestibule on and the optional “garage” I can open windows at both ends while still remaining sheltered. Run some battery operated fans to move the air and you should be good to go.

I haven’t really had to deal with rain or humidity in SoCal, so I have no idea if this will work for you. Also, not very easy to put up that tent alone if doable at all.

jd1zzle

I second the Cabela’s Alaskan guide. My wife used to work there and bar none best tent they carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoutn79

Adventurer
If you want the strongest tents look into mountaineering base camp tents such as those by The North Face and the like. Quality is going to cost you but pay once cry once. $500 for a tent that size isn't much for quality.
I have seen the Alaskan Guide by Cabelas and it looks like it should withstand some serious wind and snow load (not that snow is your concern in Florida).
A tent with vertical walls is going to act like a sail and capture much of the wind, low and sloped walls with poles that cross each other in many locations will be better for bucking the wind.
In 1986 I paid $760 ($1760 in today's money) for a tent I still use it today. It was the best Everest tested quality tent on the market at the time and rated to hold 4 people....4 SMALL people maybe. My point is a GOOD tent is going to cost money.
Finding a tent with "true" full coverage rain-fly (not what passes for supposed full coverage from most tent makers these days) with good ventilation might be impossible.

Darrell

CCH

Adventurer
Mountaineering tents are meant for four season use with the emphasis on the fourth. They are not going to help with ventilation problems.

bruceposey

I'm already invested into an REI basecamp 6 which was $500 w/ footprint. However I'm not happy with it. The full coverage rain fly (which I need in south florida) has no option to be partially open for ventilation yet keep out rain. It's either fully rolled up, in which case the back window lets all the rain in during a suprise shower. The only way to release the rolled up toggle loops is to fully unzip the door on both sides in order to reach out and unfasten them. Terrible design.

New tent has to be storm proof. We got hit by a squall while beach camping in the keys and were the only tent to survive in the campground, but that's only because my wife and I were inside physically holding the walls from collapsing while we had full on storm winds hitting us for 20 minutes. The roof vents leaked even when closed so everything got a little wet. Several of my pole sections are permanently bent now too.

We need to sleep 2 adults, 2 kids, and dog. Size wize the basecamp 6 is just fine. We could even do with a lower roof height for more wind resistance. I don't need to stand in it.

I don't want to worry about the tent the time the sky looks like this (the other tent was totaled).View attachment 503291
Have you checked out Hilleberg tents? I bought this one.

Attachments

• 156DC46B-DFE1-4FD3-B4FB-1834E2C51537.jpeg
    156DC46B-DFE1-4FD3-B4FB-1834E2C51537.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier