best year ford 6.0 power stroke

Betarocker

Adventurer
I like when someone chimes in with opinions based on information gathered second hand. I have the topic engine in my truck. I have also dealt with the common issues. Would I buy another? Yep.

As to the might CumminGs... Hasn't there been a run of 53 blocks that crack? Hasn't there been a run of 12Vs that have been destroyed internally by a $1.99 part? Hasn't there been a run of injection failures because of lift pump failure? Hasn't there been many #6 (and to a lesser degree #5) pistons melting?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
All the diesels of that era were pretty much crap. As long as people were willing to hand over $60k in a hurry with out even caring about durability of the truck. Consumers do have the power to insist on quality, but we don't see the average truck buyer putting much thought into that anymore. A good friend got his 6.7L Dodge Lemon Lawed it was so bad. They all have issues. And they're all kinda poor back then.
-
That being said, the 6.0L's sell cheaper than the 6.8L gasoline trucks for a reason. Keep in mind that one major repair on a diesel costs more than the gasoline I buy for the next 5 years. So don't buy a diesel based in fuel economy. If you need the power, go for it.
-
Me, I'd wait for a 2008+ Superduty, and get a spare radiator. Or see if anyone has turned in a mighty 2011+ Ford. The 6.0L can be fixed, but not as easy as the 6.4L. ARP headstuds, EGR delete blah blah blah. I don't care about the turbo, that's an easy repair without major engine damage. That's a lot of work any way you cut it. You could take that cost and apply it to a newer truck.
-
The older 7.3L trucks are still my favorite, just rebuild the 4r100.

SilverBullet

Explorer
If you read a lot of the forums and the videos from BPD, you can see the later years were better. For instance, the 2006's had less problems with turbos than the 2004.5and earlier. My 06 has been great. The 6.0 was a god running motor, just know it has to be used, not tuned. Everyone I know with one that has blown head gaskets or turbos either tuned (chiped) it or never drove it for its intended purpose. This i smy personal experience, but I would not be afraid of the 6.0, just know how to treat it and it will treat you well.

jluck

Adventurer
TO THE OP. If you have some free time, Google Ford/Navistar law suits or 6.0L law suits and do some reading. That will pretty much put to bed the very few boasting how wonderful the 6.0 is (Er...Can Be). Somewhere you can also find TSB's (Technical service bulletin) on each year of vehicle your looking at. Warning though if you find TSB's for the 6.0 all the data could crash your computer. I worked for a decade in a Ford/Dodge dealer and first hand got to see the amount of TSB's for each brand/engine. I DONT HAVE A DOG IN THIS FIGHT! I DONT EVEN HAVE A DIESEL TRUCK RIGHT NOW, JUST TRYING TO OFFER GINUINE HELP. :bigbossHL:

Flys Lo

Adventurer
I personally wouldn't be put off, yes the 6.0l has some (well documented) issues, but they are all known quantities, and can be fixed with a few $$$. I administrate the largest ford forum (ford-trucks.com) and was a service engineer at Ford, so have a reasonable amount of experience with them. Not to mention, their reputation is so wide known that they typically can be found cheaper than an equivalent 7.3.
The number of 3/4 ton + diesel Ford Trucks in general on the road means that parts are usually easily come by and cheap. I know back in the early 6.0l days when I was with Ford, they were selling 2 PSD trucks, for every one of the other 2 makes of diesel trucks combined.

If you find an 05+ they have less issues, and the truck around them is better (coil sprung front, bigger brakes, bigger chassis etc.), removing the EGR, fitting head studs and you have a strong truck.
I personally would take a 6.0l over the 6.4, stock for stock, the 6.4 doesn't make much more noticeable power, but drinks fuel, has similar problems to the 6.0l plus the addition of radiator problems.

Last edited:

ATXzombie

Observer
who wants to spend 15k on a 6.0 and then have to egr delete and head studs, if u don't do it yourself that's gonna cost you at least 5500.00 and down time.
I work for gmc and I think id rather deal with the injector issues of the dmax. since I get employee pricing on parts. 05-06 dmax

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
who wants to spend 15k on a 6.0 and then have to egr delete and head studs, if u don't do it yourself that's gonna cost you at least 5500.00 and down time.
I work for gmc and I think id rather deal with the injector issues of the dmax. since I get employee pricing on parts. 05-06 dmax

Exactly. $20,500 can buy a decent 6.4L Ford or a Dodge.
-
Just keep in mind: There's a reason why the cowboys who tow something once a year 20 feet or so, are the ones with most of the Diesel problems. Make sure you need the diesel and use it as intended. It ain't a commuter car, or a Ford Mustang.

Kaisen

Explorer
Almost everything has been covered in this thread, but just to pile on, I had a 2007 Crew 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke and never had any issues whatsoever in well over 100K miles. Great truck! I'd prefer a 2005-2007 Super Duty over the earlier trucks (coil springs turn tighter, better brakes, nicer interiors, integrated trailer brakes, etc), and prefer the pre-emissions Powerstroke to the 2008-up. Just my preference.

I prefer my 2007 'Classic' Duramax (really, think of it as a 2006) which has also been trouble-free in the last six years (but fewer miles).

Both are/were used to tow, not as daily drivers.

gun45boat

Adventurer
I guess I could chime in. (KEEP IN MIND ALL WERE FLEET MAINTAINED) As an owner of an engineering firm, and MANY trucks that we run, I will say this.... Due to many years of hauling huge loads in our fords, from the 7.3L diesels to the 6.0L diesels, and the GMC's that we ran, the 6.6L diesels, and the dodges 5.9 diesels. We (as a company) have owned and maintained HUGE amounts of trucks (Over 50) and I will say this.... Every truck in our Fleet to this day, 1 tonner's (over 50 in our FLEET right now) are running the V-10 ford gassers.

***Due to the Engine problems of the 7.3L (YES the 7.3L that famously need there fuel injectors done at around 120k at a $2300 bill, and the turbos redone at around 175K at a tune of $1300) Good trucks I will say, but we never got one to make it over 300k

*** The 6.0l were trash from 03 to late 05. HPOP's /EGR's/head gaskets/ (did I mention head gaskets) **** those trucks, We had more down time than ANY time in our history waiting for these trucks to get fixed. As soon as one got out of the dealer, another 2 or 3 would go in. biggest mistake I have EVER made as a company. I think I had 1 truck that had ZERO issues, and that one was babied.

**The GMC's were good trucks, the Durmax was a good engine, (the transmission was unbeatable) BUT seriously lost power after 100k, and always needed injector work, or new injectors at random times.. ALWAYS a check engine light would be on... and the Brakes SUCK!!!!! ALways needed front end work on the steering/suspension/tie rods/ball joints.

*** The dodges (03-05) All 5.9's were Stellar trucks. The Engines were great, the RFE transmissions were Tough!!!! Had very little issues with these trucks!!!! ***EXCEPT the ************* trucks had 0 payload***** they couldnt carry **** in the bed and not be on the ground....., and we always had issues with the front wheel bearing assemblies. If I had my way, I would stick with Dodge, but they never improved the payload of these trucks. FORD ALWAYS WON THE PAYLOAD BATTLE...

After many years of diesel issues of all the trucks mentioned above, and the down time of all the above trucks (or the guys just not driving the dodges because the couldnt load much in the back before the bumper was on the ground) we decided to go with the ford (for the massive payload) and decided to go with the V-10 gasser. THIS WAS THE BEST DECISION WE HAVE EEEVVVEEERRR MADE AS A COMPANY...

HERE is WHY!!!!!!

The V-10 is a monster... (not to mention its $5-6k cheaper than a diesel) Yes it gets a little less fuel economy than a diesel (but not much difference) the oil changes are $29.00 (as compared to a diesel oil change at over $100) NO DOWNTIME!!!!!! The damn V-10 start everytime, and go ALL DAY LONG, all over the state of Florida. the fuel is cheap ($3.39 a gallon as compared to $4.00) The difference of the fuel economy makes up the difference. We hook up 15k trailers ALL THE TIME to these trucks, and the go like hell,, booking stupid amounts of pulling time. Spark plugs changed out at around 120k at a tune of about $300 (way cheaper than a HPOP, or injectors, or a P-PUMP) I have over 20 V-10's in our fleet RIGHT NOW, that have over 300K on them and STUPID amounts of idle time on the engines, and they run just as good as the day I got them. and here is the biggest reason we own a V-10 gasser. We JUST had 1 truck blow a V-10 engine (@ 388K, and this bastard was driven like a slut on a street corner) and it cost me $3800 for a fresh engine INSTALLED, and I had the truck back in less than 5 days. I am willing to bet most of these trucks will top the 450k mark with ease( BUT I know better, as We are getting ready to trade our ENTIRE fleet in for a new fleet of V-10 trucks, AND the knowledge that this new fleet, could be as reliable, if not better than the prior fleet.

***Trust me,,,, I love Diesels,,,, I love everything about them.... If it weren't for the EPA ************* everything up with their "rules" I bet those Diesels would be Stupid Reliable, and SUPER efficient. But right now, I have to run a company, that has NO down time, and NO employees standing around waiting for a truck to be fixed. Thank you FORD for producing a KILLER V-10 gasser engine, and a killer payload...

But to answer your question: I would say that the 06-07 6.0L diesel would be your best best, if you wanted to gamble on a diesel. BUT my honest opinion, would be to go with a 03-05 cummins (if you dont carry too much weight in the bed LOL) OR go get a V-10 gasser, and have a good, CHEAP to maintain, go like hell, engine/truck that you dont have to worry about.

Jesus, I didnt expect to write a ************* story......

Sorry..

plumber mike

Adventurer
Well written story. Lol

I traded off my 6.7 CTD on a used v10 ford. before I deleted the dodge I got 12 mpg.....deleted up to 15 mpg. The tired old v10....12 mpg.

Dodge to ford was an increase in payload but the ford does ride like a brick. The super cab doors rattle so bad it feels just like a diesel:smiley_drive:

The v10 has been an answer to prayer for me. I would also consider a 6.0......they are great motors........in a chevy:ylsmoke:

plumber mike

Adventurer
I think simple air bag addition would fix the pay load issue with dodge, no?

I would say yes. I had just hoped a one ton drw would take some weight without looking like a sagging suburban. Ford IMO went the exact opposite direction, as that needs a ton of weight to keep my fillings in.

Sadly no matter what the vehicle choice it will need something to make it perfect for me. I was disappointed in the diesel mileage and the amount of dollars needed to make the truck run as reliable and efficient as prior model years. I'll blame the EPA for ruining the modern Diesel engine. A custom leaf pack or airbags is still cheaper than an egr delete, head studs, a programmer and the other supporting mods required to make the Diesel engine as reliable as the gasser. And that is assuming you are willing to break federal laws to have a truck that runs properly. Not worth the hassle to me. I'm glad I got out of the dodge money ahead. That truck held its value better than any vehicle I have ever owned. For what I have invested in the v10 ford, it could take a dump tomorrow and I would still be money ahead

jluck

Adventurer
I absolutely agree with EPA and every other nanny state agency ruining diesels and gas rigs alike.

Urea fluid. ...******, really?
Ethanol ruining fuel systems costing millions to the consumer, proven combustible energy loss high prices at pump for crappy fuel etc.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles