Best Weld Through Bumper Clevis Mount for 9,000 lbs + Truck?

BajaSurfRig

I just picked up an older Ruenel front winch bumper for my 96 F350 off of craigslist for $350 (score!!)

I would like to add two clevis mounts to the front (My truck with the FWC in the back is pushing 9,000 lbs).

What is the most heavy duty weld through mount on the market?

Everything I am finding only accommodates a 3 3/4" ton screw pin D-ring (rated for 7,500 lbs).

Any recommendations?

BajaSurfRig

This is what I am finding right now:

The ballistic fab is rated for a 7/8" shackle (6.5 ton or 13,000 lbs) and seems like the most solid option.

Also what are the strongest shackles (3/4" and 7/8") available?

The Ballistic Fab ones are nice and 5.5 inches long. There is some conflicting information on their page though. Description says for 7/8" shackle. Hmmm a 7/8" shackle has a 1 inch diameter pin, the hole in the mount is only 0.922 not big enough for a 7/8" shackle. These are for 3/4 inch shackle which has a 7/8 inch pin.

I prefer the ones from Comp4x4 same one inch thick but 4 inches tall, not 2 inches like BF. Also they have a 1.125 hole perfect for a 7/8 inch shackle. They are available in 5.350 and 6.350 long. Sad but they are sold out.

I would just find a local fab shop and have them cut you out some. Simple design easily cut with a plasma or laser table.

I prefer the ones from Comp4x4 same one inch thick but 4 inches tall, not 2 inches like BF. Also they have a 1.125 hole perfect for a 7/8 inch shackle. They are available in 5.350 and 6.350 long. Sad but they are sold out.

I would just find a local fab shop and have them cut you out some. Simple design easily cut with a plasma or laser table.

Highly recommend staying clear of Comp4x4. I just finished my dispute with Paypal over their business practices. Comp4x4 acknowledged my order, took my money and never shipped the items. They dont respond to emails and their phone number goes straight to voicemail. If you do a quick Google search, you will find pages upon pages of folks having similar issues stretching back several years with them. Shady business to say the least. Shame, because their products look perfect for my applications and older reviews are nothing but favorable.

Adventurous

Explorer
This is what I am finding right now:

The ballistic fab is rated for a 7/8" shackle (6.5 ton or 13,000 lbs) and seems like the most solid option.

Also what are the strongest shackles (3/4" and 7/8") available?

Strongest shackles I recall seeing are Skookum, but you'll pay. Campbell, Crosby, and Columbus McKinnon don't carry the same rating, but are also a fraction of the cost. Just tread carefully as they often offer alloy shackles and carbon steel shackles, with tangible differences in rated load, but with similar part numbers.

Don't forget about soft shackles too. They are plenty strong and can make a nice addition to or replacement for metal shackles.

lilkia

The bigger limiting factor is going to be the bumper unless where youre mounting it to is 1/2" steel. The bumper is going to bend or deform before the clevis will.

That is the reason for weld thru design. They should be long enough and properly placed to attach directly to the vehicle frame. Very little of the pull force is applied to the bumper itself.

lilkia

Again what youre mounting it to is going to be the limiting factor. 96 f350 frame is what 3/16" steel? Again with any of those clevis's youll bend whatever its attached to before youll bend even the lighter duty one. With them only being roughly 6 inches long and sticking out through the bumper theyll rip the small amount of welded area on the frame before you bend em.

BajaSurfRig

All good points thanks for sharing guys. I plan on tying the clevis mounts back to the frame rails, installing a front tow hitch in the bumper in between them and boxing it all in (in hopes of strengthening it and tying it together as one system).

bas157

I wouldn't think it would be hard to find someone local with plasma cutter or plasma table who can make you some that are long and fat enough for you. Actually if you found a chunk of steel, it shouldn't be hard to just cut it to length and find a buddy with a drill press and buy a drill bit for the hole. Could always use a grinder to smooth out the corners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles