Best way to secure a Max Coupler hitch when leaving the trailer in camp for the day

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
We've towed our trailer for 30,000 miles. 10000 this year alone. We've left the trailer hitched and unhitched in various gas stations, parking lots, campgrounds, and dispersed sites. We'll set up a game camera at campsites, but no one has yet been caught walking up to it after 8 years of travel

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
My method is a little different and may take a little explaining. My setup is such that I can use the traditional ball & cup or the Max Coupler and it takes, maybe 15 min. to switch from one to the other. Of course I have separate receivers for my tow rig. My reasoning is that for highway and Forest Service type roads the ball is entirely adequate. I will switch to the Max when I know the terrain is such that the Max is preferred or required. My reasoning is to avoid unnecessary wear on it. Plus it gives me a backup. So, most places I use the Max are difficult to reach. Where I camp is relatively secluded and that helps keep most thieves away and risk at a minimum. I end up not using any discouragement with the Max when it's connected to my tow rig. With the ball, however, just to discourage theft, I'll use a padlock instead of the normal pin on the cup latch since I'm towing through a higher risk environment.

Under most conditions, all you can do is discourage theft. In the wrong areas and conditions, if the thief wants it bad enough, they'll figure a way. If the area where I camped or the trailer is parked is high risk, I'll remove and store both sides in the locked tongue box. I have a long shanked padlock to install through an empty hitch hole on the frame to give a little additional discouragement.

I start with this:
IMG_1346a.JPG

And choose this most of the time:
IMG_1345a.JPG

Or the Max for the rough stuff (bolts have washers and nuts not shown):
IMG_1344a.JPG

And the padlock instead of the pin:
IMG_1645a.JPG

gspitale

I got three locking pins with matching keys (so I only have to have 1), put one on the trailer side, one through the coupling, and one on the vehicle side and leave the whole assembly on the trailer. Like everyone said, you do what you can do to make it a little bit of work and then don't worry about it.

journey unknown

I got three locking pins with matching keys (so I only have to have 1), put one on the trailer side, one through the coupling, and one on the vehicle side and leave the whole assembly on the trailer. Like everyone said, you do what you can do to make it a little bit of work and then don't worry about it.
Hello, can you confirm if three of these would work? If not, what are you using? Thanks I have a Turtleback Getaway on order and just prepping things in advance. Also, do you remove the chains or keep them on? I am guessing with a setup camp, a few locks and music playing it should be enough to deter an opportunist thief. I am also going to keep an Apple AirTag in the trailer. They work amazingly well, have a 1 year battery life and no subscription fees.

TomP

Observer
Leave an empty shotgun case and a box of 00 buckshot with one shell in it on the trailer tongue.

billiebob

Denver Boot.... is the best answer

we lost an equipment trailer with a bobcat
the thieves just wrapped the safety chains around their bumper and hit the highway
200 miles later a cop pulled them over for driving at night without trailer lights....
he arrested them when he saw they never even had a hitch.

If a thief wants it..... its as good as gone
Add a GPS tracker so you can find it

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles