Best way to order a 2021 GMC 3500HD that will have a flatbed

I am considering purchasing a 2021 GMC 3500HD that will be fitted with a flatbed. My goal at this time is to have a pop-up like an Overland Explorer HBE and still be able to use it on the farm. Has anyone gone through this process. If I select a configuration that allows for the bed to be deleted, the options are limited. If I select the bells and whistles the factory bed is required. Is it a better choice to go simple and order a configuration that allows for the factory bed to be deleted?

Thanks,
Pat

fitt

Check on the GMC build it now site and I believe you can order it how you want then there's a box to check for Bed Delete like a $1200 credit. I work at the GM Flint Truck Asm Plant so we would be building your truck for you!! I'm jealous we can't even order a truck right now trying to build all we can for customers not employees!

1000arms

I suggest you order the pickup truck with the regular truck bed to get the options you want. This will come as a "complete" truck rather than as an "incomplete" truck.

You might want to look at Duramag flatbeds:

jeep364

The factory bed delete is a $1200 credit but as you mentioned, you miss out on a number of options if you choose that route. Furthermore, if you're not planning on upgrading tires/wheels (the 18s are already 33") you miss out on the 'free spare' with optioning the standard bed.

A flatbed upfitter won't charge you more to remove the normal pick up bed.

D

Deleted member 9101

1. Order the truck you want
2. Remove the bed
3. Sell the bed

Great suggestions. I thank all.

So far I might have a contact with a nearby business that sells the "new" but removed beds and possibly will pay me more than the delete option as well as remove the bed.

I am waiting for feedback from the flatbed supplier to confirm if the bumper remains. If not, I just skip any extra that requires the bumper for sensor mounting.

The GMC upfitter site has good info on the backup camera so that it can be relocated from the upper tailgate to elsewhere.

I will keep posting as I move forward.

jeep364

Great suggestions. I thank all.

So far I might have a contact with a nearby business that sells the "new" but removed beds and possibly will pay me more than the delete option as well as remove the bed.

I am waiting for feedback from the flatbed supplier to confirm if the bumper remains. If not, I just skip any extra that requires the bumper for sensor mounting.

The GMC upfitter site has good info on the backup camera so that it can be relocated from the upper tailgate to elsewhere.

I will keep posting as I move forward.
Interested in following along your build.

Won't happen for some time, but am looking at GM 2500/3500 with short vs long bed double cab for a flatbed build. Shame the double cab short bed is not offered with the 3500.

60beforetruck

Order it with the bed.
I know if you use to order a Ford with out a bed it had about 50 less hp because it was a incomplete truck.

After considering several options, I ended up going long bed that I will not remove. So that means I will have a slide-in. Less room inside camper but greater uses for the truck. Truck is a 2022 3500 gasser with most of the tech packages. Been waiting for a build date from GMC for a few months and crossing my fingers that it will have what I ordered.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94