Best way to fill holes in a canopy roof?

Pilotamis

Observer
I went to install my Rhino Rack rails today and I... ugh... well, let’s just say I now have 7- 1/4” holes in the roof that I don’t need. The 2 closest to the truck cab are right on the edge of the thick center section of the shell and I’ve read to not tighten anything there as it’ll crush it. So I guess that means I need to move the rail 2” outward and drill new holes. Problem is, obviously one of many, is how do I fill the holes and ensure it remains water tight? Living in the PNW and camping back there pretty much year round, I really need to make sure it stays sealed up.

Trestle

Some ideas to look at.

1 - Temporary and removable, thus replaceable if they fail - I think they are called bulb tite fasters. Basically a rubber sleeve that has a brass thread it its base, and a wider top. The screw goes into it. You slip the assembly into the hole, tighten the screw (which expands the rubber sleeve), and it is water tight. Auto supply stores or Ace hardware type stores. Often used as attachment points that have to be water tight and have a lower strength than rivnuts.

2 - non-silicone sealants - Dicor Lap Sealant is used in the RV industry, is self levelling, etc. Airstream community uses Tremco 635 which is a gray urethane based and has held up on my Airstream well for close to 50 years, there are others.

3 - You could install rivnuts, then seal them with screws and some of the above sealant.

4 - sand, plug weld, clean up, repaint - permanent but expensive.

robert

Expedition Leader
How thick is the section? If it's a single layer of fiberglass you can tape the inside and fill it with epoxy to create a plug or use the putty, 1/4" isn't very big. If it's more than a single layer thick I'd consider putting some epoxy in it and inserting a hardwood dowel plug. I filled holes in several VW Westy tops that way since they are a vertical surface and epoxy would have run out.

yeos

Observer
I'd fill it with 3M Marine 5200 adhesive. Use a dowel or something that will keep the adhesive from dripping out at the bottom. I had good results when I still owned a fiberglass boat. You could also use Evercoat Marine fiberglass filler, but I think the 3M will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94