Best way to align & hang multiple frames?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Spent the better part of a couple of a few hours framing 10 of my favorite pictures last night (4x 16x20", 3x 8x10", 3x 6x6"). This included framing the pictures and installing hanging wire to the back of each frame. I got a little anal taking extra care to try to make them all the same length in back which helped ensure the center of the wire would be almost in the same location on each frame.

I then carefully measured & nailed each hook onto the wall for each frame hanging them one by one. During this process I found the even after being careful setting up each frame, once hung, they were still not cleanly aligned and I ended up having to move the hook around for each frame.

Is there a better way of doing this? Are there tools / techniques to help with this?

TIA.

ThomD

Explorer
check out "gallery hanging systems". It is a great way to have maximum flexibility in aligning pictures of many sizes.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
check out "gallery hanging systems". It is a great way to have maximum flexibility in aligning pictures of many sizes.
Thom,

I think I'll wait to get to that level. Besides, I think those are best where you've got one picture every several feet like in a normal gallery. In my case this is what I ended up with...
2718302850104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Interesting. After looking into this further via google search for 'how to align picture frames' I came up with a link suggesting the same kind of tool but simply made with a piece of wood with a nail at the end of it. Guess this is the easiest way to do this kind of alignment. Thanks!

Chili

Explorer
Seems like the easiest way to get everything to line up would be to use sawtooth hangers instead of wires, provided your frames would support their use. You don't have to worry about the flex of the wires.

So as long as the hangers are attached to the frames uniformly, and you align the nails in the wall with a level, you should be good to go.

05-sawtooth_hangers-l.jpg

photoman

Explorer
Use the saw tooth hangars like Chili posted or use two nails instead of just one.

To line picture up you need to mark a line where you want the top of the frame to be and then measure from the top of the frame to your hanging cable. Draw another line this same distance from your first and then drive your nails or screws on this line. Do this for each picture as your cable may be slightly different in terms of distance from the top and slack of the cable.

If you divide the width of the frame by 3 and then use a nail or screw at each 1/3 it will give you a level picture that will not slide either direction.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks again for all the ideas.

Here's where I currently am with my little project...
2960457870104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Yeah the shot is crooked but fortunately the pictures aren't. :ylsmoke:

It's just too bad about that the light switch on the far wall prevents me from hanging a frame where it ought to be. Couldn't figure out a better way to fit the frames though.

I wish I had more wall space. If I did, they would all be printed large.

TheGuyJones

Observer
My wife and I will lay out the frames on the floor to visually see how we like things spaced and placed. On top of this, you can use butcher paper as a template. Lay frames on the butcher paper on the floor, trace around the frames to designate where you want them. Then you can determine where the nail (or screw or hook, etc) should be, mark it in the square for each frame, tape the template on the wall, mark the holes for your nails. Biggest thing is checking for alignment for level when they are laying on the floor.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the tip. I also put them on the floor to decide the layout I would use for the frames I was hanging but I didn't think to use butcher paper (not that I had any handy)

Once I knew the layout I wanted, I simply eyeballed :Wow1: it and started by hanging the frame that I could best use to line up the others.

Yes, on most frames I ended up having to re-adjust the hook but that was easy enough and the holes made by the nail weren't that big. I simply put some white putty/filler material into the hole. Since the walls are also white, it easily hides the holes.

In the past, I did the full on engineer thing and drew out a scale illustration of the wall and frames noting the distance between the hanging wire and top of the frame for each one. I did that process for a wall exactly once & ultimately decided I didn't want to have to do that again.

Oh and if it helps others, I highly recommend these hooks/nails made by OOK. I bought them at the local Home Depot.
213.jpg
214.png
215.jpg

Wander

Expedition Leader
I've got a lazer level I picked up on sale at Lowes, attact it to the first nail and shoot the beam along eachside-mark your other locations. You'll still need to measure the stretch of the wire but it helps a lot alignement.

Looks good in the pics!

Ludedude

Adventurer
That does look nice. It's inspiring me to get off my *** and do something with a bunch of my prints that have been languishing in a binder.

grimbo

Explorer
I tend to use the repositional 3M picture tabs. Measure your top level, blob of blutac with a piece if string, stretch it across, make it level and another blob of blutac. It's simple and works

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles