Best warm weather desert tent?

Edmond H

The locals sleep in their LC200s nowadays :) But the bedu traditionally have canvas tents, and they wrap the shemagh around their head to protect from dust and sand. The missus and I got caught in two separate sand storms last season in a low cost tent, was not pleasant at all. Since then I’ve been on the lookout for something more suitable. I’m really liking the look of the Kodiak 2 man tent, will see if I can find some more information and reviews on it.

Thank you all for your input, it’s been really helpful. Here's a short video of us driving out of the desert after a night of blowing sand.

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
I was thinking canvas as well but one with a fly? Like an OzTent maybe? In full disclosure I've never used an OzTent so shouldnt offer it as a suggestion but I know a fly can help keep the main tent cool which you can get with the Oztent. Plus I think theres plenty of places in Australia that have similar weather conditions. Might be worth checking out.

We have an OzTent RV5 and have used it in both Namibia and Botswana. Daytime temperatures were in the low 40 deg C and not much lower at night. We also slept through a sand storm in the Namib desert. I cannot recommend it highly enough for desert conditions. It is made from a ripstop polycotton canvas which remains amazingly cool with big openings for ventilation and a mesh screen that keeps all midges, miggies and mosquitoes out. The windows zip closed from the inside making it easy to regulate light and air flow. We don’t have the flysheet and although it could aid in cooling we haven't found it necessary. We have used the tent in heavy rain without any leaks and together with the quick set up time makes it a no brainer. It is 2m long so won’t fit inside most vehicles but at 24kgs it is easy enough to load onto a roof rack

Edmond H

We have an OzTent RV5 and have used it in both Namibia and Botswana. Daytime temperatures were in the low 40 deg C and not much lower at night. We also slept through a sand storm in the Namib desert. I cannot recommend it highly enough for desert conditions. It is made from a ripstop polycotton canvas which remains amazingly cool with big openings for ventilation and a mesh screen that keeps all midges, miggies and mosquitoes out. The windows zip closed from the inside making it easy to regulate light and air flow. We don’t have the flysheet and although it could aid in cooling we haven't found it necessary. We have used the tent in heavy rain without any leaks and together with the quick set up time makes it a no brainer. It is 2m long so won’t fit inside most vehicles but at 24kgs it is easy enough to load onto a roof rack

Thank you, that sounds like a great suggestion! I’ll check out their website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94