Best warm weather desert tent?

Edmond H

Hi ExPo community, I was hoping that some of you could help me out a little with some tent recommendations.

I’m looking for a 2/3 person ground tent for use in the warm weather desert conditions of the Arabian Gulf. It will be used for car camping so keeping the weight down isn’t a priority.

My key considerations are that it needs to be well ventilated for the warm temps we have here. I also need to be able to close up any mesh windows/panels to prevent sand and dust blowing into the tent when the desert winds pick up.

Finally, I would really like it to block out enough sunlight so that I’m not woken up at the crack of dawn.

I’ve been doing a lot of research and it’s been surprisingly difficult to find something that hits all of these checkboxes.

I currently have a Eureka Mountain Pass 3P tent... it’s a well built, lightweight backpacking tent and has mesh panels that can be closed off for dust and sand ingress. However, it’s super bright in the mornings (basically see-through) and when the sun comes out it starts cooking.

Those of you that have spent time sleeping in the desert, what would you recommend?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Ed

MCX

TalesFromTheDesert.com
I have never found a tent that didnt heat up like an oven once the sun pops up in the desert and I've never had one that was dark on the inside .
Same thing, but I've been curious to try some of the dark tents to see if they truly help keep the heat down (I'm somewhat skeptical).

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I dont the answer, but i wonder if anyone with a current edition of the “ Vehicle-Dependent Expedition Guide” by Tom Sheppard and updated by Jonathan Hanson could chime in. There are probably several good recommendations in it.

GB_Willys_2014

Hi ExPo community, I was hoping that some of you could help me out a little with some tent recommendations.

I’m looking for a 2/3 person ground tent for use in the warm weather desert conditions of the Arabian Gulf. It will be used for car camping so keeping the weight down isn’t a priority.

My key considerations are that it needs to be well ventilated for the warm temps we have here. I also need to be able to close up any mesh windows/panels to prevent sand and dust blowing into the tent when the desert winds pick up.

Finally, I would really like it to block out enough sunlight so that I’m not woken up at the crack of dawn.

I’ve been doing a lot of research and it’s been surprisingly difficult to find something that hits all of these checkboxes.

I currently have a Eureka Mountain Pass 3P tent... it’s a well built, lightweight backpacking tent and has mesh panels that can be closed off for dust and sand ingress. However, it’s super bright in the mornings (basically see-through) and when the sun comes out it starts cooking.

Those of you that have spent time sleeping in the desert, what would you recommend?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Ed

Since you are car camping and weight is not an issue, have you considered a canvas tent.

I think you maybe seeking something unobtanium: dust/sun sealing = no ventilation = heat sink.

My vote canvas, with closeable vents.

Good luck.

Driftwood77

I have a Howling Moon dome tent. Dark as a cave, mesh ‘windows ‘ with zip flaps over them. Also high level ventilation with mesh and overflaps.

Edmond H

Since you are car camping and weight is not an issue, have you considered a canvas tent.

I think you maybe seeking something unobtanium: dust/sun sealing = no ventilation = heat sink.

My vote canvas, with closeable vents.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, yes I've been taking a look at some canvas tents recently and they seem like they could be a good option. Kodiak has a nice little 2P tent that's a useful size for car camping... I'd use it with all the vents open for max ventilation and then just close them up if the winds pick up and the sand starts blowing.

I wonder how bright they are on the inside, never really been inside one at sunrise.

shade

Thanks for the suggestion, yes I've been taking a look at some canvas tents recently and they seem like they could be a good option. Kodiak has a nice little 2P tent that's a useful size for car camping... I'd use it with all the vents open for max ventilation and then just close them up if the winds pick up and the sand starts blowing.

I wonder how bright they are on the inside, never really been inside one at sunrise.
I have a 10' x 10' Kodiak tent, and I've used it in warm desert conditions. As was mentioned, with the vents closed, it warms up. Sunlight does penetrate the canvas; it's not as heavy as a military canvas tent. I think you'd find that if the canvas is thick enough to block sunlight, it'll breathe poorly. Springbar & Kodiak tents are very similar, and both can stand significant wind loads.

What do the locals use? There may be some features unique to the area worth having, such as window mesh that's optimized for air flow while keeping sand out. Some more modern military options may also work for you.

GB_Willys_2014

I have a 10' x 10' Kodiak tent, and I've used it in warm desert conditions. As was mentioned, with the vents closed, it warms up. Sunlight does penetrate the canvas; it's not as heavy as a military canvas tent. I think you'd find that if the canvas is thick enough to block sunlight, it'll breathe poorly. Springbar & Kodiak tents are very similar, and both can stand significant wind loads.

What do the locals use? There may be some features unique to the area worth having, such as window mesh that's optimized for air flow while keeping sand out. Some more modern military options may also work for you.
This and ditto.

I am also a fan of Kodiak. Anyhow, @shade saved me some typing.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Also wondering what locals use? It seems like tents have been used on the Arabian peninsula for thousands of years. Maybe they just deal with dust?

shade

Also wondering what locals use? It seems like tents have been used on the Arabian peninsula for thousands of years. Maybe they just deal with dust?
I haven't had serious dust & sand inside my Kodiak, but I've had it with other tents. The easiest way for me to live with it was to drape a flat sheet over my cot & sleeping bag during the day, and sweep up the worst of it when I returned for the night. I didn't go for clean, just good enough.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
These Shiftpods are interesting. Do you have one? Do they ventilate well? The windows seem small to me and are high up... interesting design though.

Yes I have one.

By far the best ground tent I have ever had.

Easy to keep warm in the Winter due the layered construction. Stays much cooler in the summer due to the reflectivity of the sun and the great ventilation.

Very easy/quick setup and not to heavy to carry on a roof rack if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94