Best value these days: 4Runner or GX460?

JakeH

Adventurer
I love my GX460 and expect to put another 200k on it. I've driven 4runners and land cruisers but the only trade I would make is that new sequoia TRD pro or capstone. Super dope

Rotorwash109

Just bought a new GX. I’m not a new car guy at all but had a friend that is a manager at Lexus offered one up at a bargain.

A GX was my next car regardless, there is just no comparison to a 4runner besides looks. I just had to get one of the last V8’s toyota is putting out.

I work in the auto industry and the future is….bleak regarding longevity and reliability with all the small displacement and turbo motors.

Last edited:
I'm 95% sure the GX has a higher GVWR. The payload should be pretty similar but the GX will handle it better.
GX’s gross is higher, but its curb is even higher. Edmunds has a 2016 GX at 6500 GVWR/1400 max payload with the 4Runner at 6300 GVWR/1625 max payload. Door jambs will vary, but generally speaking the GX has less room to gross rating because it has a much higher curb weight.

GX is rated to tow 6500 lb, while 5th gen 4Runners with the 4.0 are rated to tow 5000 lb.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
GX all day, every day. I've owned three 5th Gen 4Runners and two GX460's and soon to add a third. The GX wins in every single way except for the lack of a roll down rear window and looks.

MotoDave

Explorer
I picked up a 2010 GX460 late last year for less than what similar year & mileage (<100k) 4runners were going for, for many of the reasons posted in this thread.

Its done what I wanted it for, mild trail and dirt road exploring and being the family truckster for getting my kids out there. Its very comfortable for the long highway miles required to get to where I want to go to explore. It handles surprisingly good for what it is - I credit the chonky sway bars that come with the KDSS system, they work great for keeping the car under control on curvy mountain roads, and yet with KDSS active don't seem to limit off road performance. The third row is genuinely useful with my younger kids (3 and 7), its great to be able to put up the back row and put the kids back there when we have family in town and be able to take one car. I'm guessing when the kids are in their teens it'll be too small, but I doubt I'll have this car that long. I also like that its less common than the 4runners, especially the earlier non-spindle grille version.

Some downsides I'm not seeing presented here. Not deal breakers for me, but something to be aware of when choosing the platform:
  • Tire clearance is limited compared to 4runners. They come with 30.5" tires. A 32" (265/70R17) seems to be the limit for the stock spare location, and on my truck had a surprising amount of rubbing on the fender liners with that size. 33's are doable. A few people have done 35's with major trimming of body mounts, fenders, running boards, etc.
  • Fuel economy isn't as good as most forum dwellers pretend it is, but its probably not much worse than a loaded 4runner. I've seen 18 on a mostly slow highway trip, generally loaded for camping and heading to the mountains is 14-16. Fuel tank is 23 gallons, and larger tanks are very expensive but probably worth it if its mostly a long trip vehicle.
  • The side opening back door is dumb. I cant think of any reason its better than a hatch unless you have a tire mounted to it ... which we don't in the US. Luckily I don't live where I need to frequently parallel park. The saving grace is the rear window opens separate from the back door.
  • Approach angles are bad for the 2014+ spindle grille facelift. The 2010-2013 body style has a 7+ degree better approach angle. Aftermarket bumpers solve that issue but for what I do are totally unnecessary.
  • The engine really sucks to work on. Its clear to me after changing the alternator myself that this chassis wasn't really designed for a V8. There's not much room to get to anything under the hood, the rest of it (suspension, driveline) is OK. My steering rack is starting to leak so I looked at the factory service manual to see what the replacement procedure is. Step 3: Remove the Engine. F that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online