Best value Suburban as an all arounder

I'm extremely happy with it. Very clean interior, some little body dings here and there rides very well. Very solid feel too.

What code am. I looking for on the glove box list? I saw the list there but not sure what to look for. Also, it has the boxier rear diff casting so I'm guessing full float. Where do I find the gear ratio? I couldn't find any trip listing unless it too is a code on the list. Would there be a diff tag on a cover bolt?

I wish my iPhone 4 could keep pace with the app updates. It would he nice to post photos.

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=159697770713381

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Troop the full floater dif has a large axel protusion that sticks out of the center of the rear wheel. It also has a bunch of bolts holding it on. I look forward to seeing pics of your new rig. Cheers, Chilli...:)

a63eb035d8adde34c67815ad5d72a2f6.jpg

a6e9231cdd9c6b49113fbbf6e106ecf2.jpg
50fca6940981a1515fc8cc9effa3c437.jpg

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC

justcuz

Explorer
Yes that's a semi-float. With 4.10 gears and a gov-lock it should last a long time.
Good looking truck. I like it too!
You can do a "GM RPO code" search and decifer all those codes on the glove box tag.
Looks well optioned.

Last edited:
Thanks for checking it out. I'm not sure a full float was even available in a suburban that late.

I'm very happy with it. I may add a back up camera after I do trailer mirrors and see if I need it. It's mamas new daily and thogh she had no problems with a ram1500 quad cab the rear visibility on that with a short bed and trailer mirrors is light years ahead of this monster.

It'll get a Rooftop basket (likely a Rage 63x48 since it's the cheapest full size basket). If anyone knows a good one to recommend fire away!

For trailer mirrors I'm looking at the power adjust heated ones at around $110 on eBay. I find the built in turn signals on the factory small mirrors distracting so I don't care to have that feature anymore. It also saves about $200 off the price.

As soon as these wonderful northern California showers are done here I'll crank my torsion bars up 2".

I've got nitto terra grappler 295/75r16 on the way from WalMart, due in first week of December. I've never owned a set but I can't stop hearing about how many of my pals love them. Might have to call a friend to get them mounted on the factory wheels, a buddy said Walmart would not do them since they're too oversized for the 6.5" width rims.

It's got full leather (in superb shape) xm radio, heated power front seats, dual zone and rear climate, "easy out" seat eject, trans cooler, auto ride, electronic trailer brake, Bluetooth phone setup (going to upgrade Bluetooth receiver to music capable).

It's got husky slush mats front and center rows, but need rear footwell and cargo mats too.

Some small dings and dents all around the exterior, but this motor/tranny just pulls!

Next year (after tax season) going on the hunt for a good used toy hauler for my growing fleet of kids vintage dirt bikes and really put it to work.

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
I don't know if that's expected or what we are supposed to do.

If you have an individual thread for your Suburban and folks want to look specifically at your modifications, no matter how minimal, they can go directly to your thread to view it instead of searching through pages of general info.

Since there is not a Suburban specific category for vehicles or modifications, having an individual thread about your vehicle helps folks key in on their favorites.

Just my humble opinion.

I looked at a few. They command prices around $15k with mileage at 250k and above. A coworker of mine bought one three months ago and is replacing the transmission and the turbo now. Of the ones I've seen the interiors are shot besides ring a bit dated. They are getting older and while I absolutely love them they command too big a price for what they are. I believe the suburban I got will serve me well despite being a gas motor.

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC

justcuz

Explorer
The gas Excursions I have seen are worth half of a diesel or less. You could buy a gasser and put a diesel in it cheaper than buying a used diesel vehicle. Plus you could install a better diesel than the factory one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier