Best tablets for navigation?

I like it. It was simple to install...BUT... I am already planning on replacing it with the new Nexus 7(2) that should be out in June.

good luck

Thanks guys. The Nexus 7 has been recommended multiple times. I might just wait till June to get the newer version. I don't really need the extra nav capabilities until late July (AZ, UT, ID, WY, CO, NM tour on the schedule)

Scott Brady

Founder
I just completed a pretty remote trip and relied heavily on the iPad for navigation, primarily displaying topo maps. I was kind of against such a huge device for nav, but given how remote we were, the larger screen and available detail was super valuable.

904620_10151872576383275_942921244_o.jpg
My dad came along on my latest trip. Pretty cool.

I am leaning towards an iPad mini nav solution now. I was made a believer in the tablet option.

To save Scott a bit of effort, he responded to a similar question I posted elsewhere:

I was using a HEMA Navigator HN6 with all of the HEMA Map Patrol maps and tracks uploaded, along with Australia 1:250,000 Topos. I ran the HEMA Australia app for the iPad and ran the 1:250,000 topos on that unit. The HN6 runs Ozi Explorer, which actively tracks our progress. I exported those track logs and saved them as GPX files.

And got this answer from the director of HEMA maps:
It's our Hema Navigator HN6 on and off road GPS and our 4WD Maps iOS app loaded onto a RAM mounted iPad. Both are preloaded with the full set of Hema's 4WD, Touring and topo maps.

Rob Boegheim
Managing Director
Hema Maps

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Ordered, received and put the brakes on a Samsung 7" tablet and RAM mount.

Have an Asus Transformer TF300 at home; was going to keep out of the dirt. Decided to try it out first.

May not even open the Samsung, before returning it. :D

CUMMINSDIESELPWR

i have a le pan tc970(wifi) built in stand alone gps and it has a microsd slot up to 32gig. (will get a 32gig card soon)

i currently have RMAPS on it, testing maps with me and mapdroyd. RMAPS is nice as it "caches" usgs terrain tiles for offline use. it is "cracked" so i can do with it as i please, you can also hook it to a blue tooth capable phone so you can download tiles on the fly via your data plan.

it is a 10" screen, very user friendly and it was free from my mom!

*updated*
just did the software update on RMAPS and the creator has finally built a good downloader that will sit there and automatically cache the tiles you select with an area selector box. up to 16 levels. Just for the state of colorado there are 446,253 tiles down to 50m increments. Its about 1 gig of data but very very well worth the wait.!

Last edited:

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Can anyone comment on the Asus Transformer tablets 700 and 300? They seem to be in the upper price range and sort of combine the features I'd like of a tablet and a laptop. They have better onboard cameras, SD card expandable, USB, etc etc.

http://www.asus.com/us/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_Infinity_TF700T

I have the tf700 and it's ok...I've been surprised at how slow it runs with barely any apps running. My Nexus 7 is significantly faster using the same apps. I bought it for the screen mostly - and it truly is sunlight readable - SUPER BRIGHT, more than any other tablet I've seen (even iPad).

With BCN and a bunch of offline maps saved to the SD card, it's proven to be a solid navigation tablet (even with the speed issues)...

Of course, when I am out in the middle of nowhere, I take my windows-based 10" tablet...I love BCN but nothing compares to a combination of Microsoft MapPoint, Delorme Topo and National Geographic Topo (throw in an old copy of Garmin XT)...realistically nothing is even close, I paid $250 for my used tablet, $20 for streets & trips, $60 for delorme, $30 for the annual delorme download subscription, and I can easily use USGS GIS PDF files, using Ozi Explorer I can load just about any map I want in any format and using Mobile Atlas Creator I can download and store massive amounts of data and different types of maps (USGS topo, google terrain, international topo maps, etc)...

When Windows tablet prices come down to the $300-500 range, I would be willing to say that nothing will touch a Windows tablet-based navigation system...won't even be close :) Too much info for too little $$ for anyone else to touch... (my 2 cents)...

Dave, which tablet were you referring to when you mentioned the screen?

Which windows tablet do you have/ would recommend? I'm pretty techno dumb and like ease of use. I'm concerned about trying to download and figure out all the other mapsets like oziexplorer and even BCN.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Evldave, thank you for the Transformer input. :beer:

I used it for offline GPS, plugging in various random points of interest; works great.

Setting up BCN next.

Returning the Samsung and RAM mount for it. Sweet!!!!! $$$ back in pocket :D

Last edited:

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Dave, which tablet were you referring to when you mentioned the screen?

Which windows tablet do you have/ would recommend? I'm pretty techno dumb and like ease of use. I'm concerned about trying to download and figure out all the other mapsets like oziexplorer and even BCN.

I'm talking about the TF700...but that's a large tablet... But BRIGHT! For a smaller tablet I'd recommend either the nexus 7 or the Tab2 depending on whether you want SD card or not... My setup is 7" for normal days, 10" for exploring and long trips...

BCN is pretty easy to use, and downloading lots of maps is pretty simple, ozi can be a pain, and MOBAC can be hard to use if you're looking for an older version... If you are on Android, my recommendation is 7" + BCN and see what it has...

For the 7", if you are okay with managing all the data then the nexus, otherwise I'd recommend the Tab2 :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

86tuning

Adventurer
when I am out in the middle of nowhere, I take my windows-based 10" tablet...I love BCN but nothing compares to a combination of Microsoft MapPoint, Delorme Topo and National Geographic Topo (throw in an old copy of Garmin XT)...realistically nothing is even close, I paid $250 for my used tablet, $20 for streets & trips, $60 for delorme, $30 for the annual delorme download subscription, and I can easily use USGS GIS PDF files, using Ozi Explorer I can load just about any map I want in any format and using Mobile Atlas Creator I can download and store massive amounts of data and different types of maps (USGS topo, google terrain, international topo maps, etc)...

Nice. This is good info, I have a windows tablet and will be shopping for a GPS puck soon, along with a car charger.

Also want to do the 7" tab thing, but that may be a bit big for daily driver duties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles