Best tablets for navigation?

Hey guys,

I really hate to ask this question, but with the way technology changes so rapidly the information found on here is already pretty out of date. I'm trying to find the best tablet, whether it be Android or Apple based, with the primary emphasis on stand alone GPS navigation, photo review and basic editing, light internet surfing, etc.

I've got a budget of $500 or less with accessories.

Any suggestions, guys?

Ramjet

Explorer
I use an iPad that is mounted using a PadHoldr thats mounted by the radio. I use the following Apps - GPS Kit HD installed and GPS Track Editor. I've also recently installed a Topo Map app, but have not used it yet.

I use an iPad that is mounted using a PadHoldr thats mounted by the radio. I use the following Apps - GPS Kit HD installed and GPS Track Editor. I've also recently installed a Topo Map app, but have not used it yet.

Which version of the Ipad? Is the GPS system accurate and built in or is there an adapter for the GPS? Thanks

Ziv

Observer
I'm using an original iPad. I suspect these can be found pretty cheap on the second-hand market.
For maps, I'm using pdf maps via Avenza. It's free. Forest Service and BLM geo coded pdf maps are also free via the Avenza map library. I use this about 95% of the time for offline maps. I like it a lot. Forest roads in the Deschutes NF can be like a corn maze. These simple maps have saved my bacon more than a few times.

I also have Scenic Maps - Western States. It is not free. I find it has too many features.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
A new Lenovo ideapad 7" at $129 has built in GPS, has micro-SD expandability and is well built. A 3g version is available for $199. Not nearly as nice as an iPad, but cheap enough you could make it a dedicated car unit.

Scrib

Observer
I just went with the cheapest thing (with decent storage, for map data) I could find, figuring it would be obsolete within a few years anyway (and would probably get banged-up!). Ended-up with a 32GB Nexus 7 for $260, delivered.

AK Allen

2012 TTSE FJ Cruiser
I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with Backcountry Navigator Pro ($9.99 for offroad) and Sygic (Free I think, but you have to buy maps for on-road) the built in gps is great and the tablet is only $199 I added a 32GB MocroSD card for $40. It has been a great set-up for me.

RobRed

Explorer
Check my sig for links to my blog related to iPad as nav.

Apple has many software vendors with quality nav apps. Android really only has one, BCN.

I use an iPad mini with the topo maps app and the PDF maps app. Colorado has all their OHV roads on the PDF maps app. Pretty nice. For road navigation I use motion x GPS drive

Yudda

Adventurer
Last year i did the whole Ipad for navigation route....

Ipad 2/ Bluetooth Dual GPS / RAM mount

I like it. It was simple to install...BUT... I am already planning on replacing it with the new Nexus 7(2) that should be out in June.

Like its mentioned above.... the idea of using a cheaper unit at $200 vs the $500+ iPad has merit......but more important for me, is the size.

I thought a 10" or so size screen would be the best thing for a navigation tool.
Now every time i leave the truck i have to take it with me etc....or lock it up/hide it.

My biggest problem is that it takes up alot of room up front...so much so that for day to day use...i just use my iphone.

photo (1).jpg

I believe a 7" inch screen for my vehicle would be perfect.

Anyway...Mobile OS (iOS/Android) navigation is the way to go.....you just have to figure what type and size will suit your truck.

good luck

Yudda

Adventurer
iPad mini ;)

Not to side track the thread.....but im about ready to jump ship.

Ive owned Apple products since my Apple IIc. I use an iphone and have since the beginning.

I own a Macbook Pro, Imac, apple TV, ipad and a mac mini.

But I think its time for me to move on. I am sick of the restrictive iOS ecosystem.

anyway...a 7" tablet ...is for me...just the right size.

Ipad mini included. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles