Best tablets for navigation?

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Thanks very much for the clarification guys!!

For me, I'm fortunate to still be on a Verizon unlimited data plan. The thought is that in the event of no wifi but cellular network is available, then have Android Tablet connect that way. Otherwise plan ahead with saved data...right? I just don't want to add a cellular device. Using only WiFi is just sufficient for me.

I'm also glad to see that redundancy is possible with a 3rd party GPS antenna.

Currently, I use backcountry navigator, however, not enough to be able to qualify it as in the realm of a GoTo app. I do a fair bit of pre-planning to compensate, maybe.

I am attracted to the Ipad 1 for its 64Gb available storage. I really am glad to know that Ipad/wifi only is NON-GPS chipset (thanks RobRed). So as can be seen I'm an Android-based moderate user (and windows PCs). Adding the subject Ipad 1 to my repertoire means obtaining GPS antenna and access to Apple Apps. It can't be that simple is it? Other considerations for me and others to consume on weighing the options?

Thanks!

Cole

Expedition Leader
There are a couple of advantages to having a cellular based iPad.

First, if you are in an area with cell towers then the GPS location should be faster. It's my understanding that the cellular assisted GPS chips can help determine your location faster than a non-assisted GPS. (?Not sure how quickly they work if you have the data turned off)

You can also just buy a single month of data service for $20 at a time when you travel, straight from the device.....or......if emergency communications were needed and your cell phone is not available for use (broken, wet, etc)l simply activate the cellular data on the iPad and text/email/FaceTime/skype/post to a forum/whatever. (I haven't seen Android service plans like this from any carrier, they all seem to want you to sign up forever instead of a month at a time, If you know of one post it)

Would also give you the ability to download new maps or apps on the fly. I've used a cellular iPad since they were first introduced. Traveled extensively with one on a motorcycle. MUCH easier to jut pull out the iPad to look at maps and such without having to also find the phone and share data.

java

Expedition Leader
There are a couple of advantages to having a cellular based iPad.

First, if you are in an area with cell towers then the GPS location should be faster. It's my understanding that the cellular assisted GPS chips can help determine your location faster than a non-assisted GPS. (?Not sure how quickly they work if you have the data turned off)

You can also just buy a single month of data service for $20 at a time when you travel, straight from the device.....or......if emergency communications were needed and your cell phone is not available for use (broken, wet, etc)l simply activate the cellular data on the iPad and text/email/FaceTime/skype/post to a forum/whatever. (I haven't seen Android service plans like this from any carrier, they all seem to want you to sign up forever instead of a month at a time, If you know of one post it)

Would also give you the ability to download new maps or apps on the fly. I've used a cellular iPad since they were first introduced. Traveled extensively with one on a motorcycle. MUCH easier to jut pull out the iPad to look at maps and such without having to also find the phone and share data.

Cell assisted chips don't work when the data is off... They have to ping the towers to get an approximate location for the GPS to search from.

I do think the month to month data makes sense. But I made the choice not to need it. I can tether to my phone easily enough, and I havent need it. I just DL the maps to the location im going (topo for the tablet) or use my phone. But quite often there is no service where Im at anyway.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Cell assisted chips don't work when the data is off... They have to ping the towers to get an approximate location for the GPS to search from.

Not usually true. Systems set up for assisted-GPS will still work without the data component, but will usually take MUCH longer to acquire the initial lock. Those of us who did GPS back in the early days aren't phased by a device taking 5+ minutes to get initial lock, but it makes most modern users think "its not working" if it doesn't lock up right away. Give it a try, and be patient, and I think you'll find that even aGPS devices will eventually lock up if you ensure a clear view of the sky.

Cole

Expedition Leader

Not arguing here. But do you have a link for more info?

I have two cellular ipads sitting here, one with and one without a service plan on it. With the cellular antenna turned on and the wifi turned off, both ipads locate and finds the Verizon network and displays the current signal strength. They also both find my location at about the same speed.

So even without paying for data, its locating the towers. The question is whether its doing anything with that information? From my totally non scientific test here in my kitchen they are working the same.(no clear view of the sky for a good gps signal)

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
aGPS uses cell towers for quick acquisition.

In the real world aGPS chips that are out of cell tower range acquire bird lock like any GPS chip.

aGPS was designed to allow fast lock when stuck between office towers. In wide open spaces it works the same as any GPS chip.

I wish the aGPS misinformation about requiring cell service to work or being inaccurate without cell service would just die. It's so 2010.

Cole

Expedition Leader
aGPS uses cell towers for quick acquisition.

In the real world aGPS chips that are out of cell tower range acquire bird lock like any GPS chip.

aGPS was designed to allow fast lock when stuck between office towers. In wide open spaces it works the same as any GPS chip.

I wish the aGPS misinformation about requiring cell service to work or being inaccurate without cell service would just die. It's so 2010.

I agree, but we are talking about a slight variation of it. NOT what you are talking about there with basic gps signal. That was not in debate.

Does an aGPS device get a location faster because it can use the cell towers, even though you haven't paid for a data plan?!

From my basic test in my kitchen (no clear view of sky, no wifi on) a cellular ipad without a data plan gets a location lock just as fast as a cellular ipad with a data plan. Both show a Verizon signal with the cellular antenna turned on.

So it would seem that the aGPS is still getting its cellular assistance even though no data plan is being used.

java

Expedition Leader
It sounds like I have old information....

But my understanding of not using data would be cell signal off. IE not reading anyones service. I stand corrected on the cell assisted GPS!

Cole

Expedition Leader
I can experiment with it a bit more. I always have both iPads with me. (long but pointless story why, its for my daughter)

Both are Verizon versions. You can turn the cellular antenna on/off without activating a cellular data plan.

Wonder if its a bit app dependant?

Cole

Expedition Leader
An iPad with the ability to use cellular data has a built-in GPS. Cellular data doesn't have to be activated, the GPS still works. An iPad without the ability to use cellular data must rely on WiFi to determine its location. I tend to recommend iPads with the ability to use cellular data for this reason, even if the cellular data plan is never used, it's nice to have the GPS.

Hope that helps.

Obviously you didn't even read the thread or my posts before quoting me. :smilies27. Doesn't even look like you read the text you quoted.

Annoying as hell honestly! No, you didn't help anyone by regurgitating an answer to something we weren't even talking about.

fishEH

Explorer
I just picked up a Samsung Tab3 8" WiFi only specifically for GPS navigation. I'll be using the Alpine Quest Pro app, $10. It has about 12-15 base maps to choose from. Plus you can pick multiple layers and vary their transparency. And of course I'll be caching maps for use offline since there had better not be WiFi where I'm going! :) I've already loaded about 120 different GPS trail tracks into it. I bought a RAM suction cup mount. Still have to figure out exactly where to put it once the mount comes.

robgendreau

Explorer
Is the earl out yet?

As of beginning of April not even in production. I'm not an adopter of the product, but it is sort of fascinating to read about their progress, or lack thereof. I wasn't a fan of the all-in-one aspects of it, and now I can see why some designers and manufacturers shy away from that. The FCC certification gets much more complicated, for example. I believe they originally were gonna do amateur radio, but had to back off to use FRS/GMRS/MURS. Hope the FCC looks kindly on them.

Douglas

Observer
I just picked up a Samsung Tab3 8" WiFi only specifically for GPS navigation. I'll be using the Alpine Quest Pro app, $10. It has about 12-15 base maps to choose from. Plus you can pick multiple layers and vary their transparency. And of course I'll be caching maps for use offline since there had better not be WiFi where I'm going! :) I've already loaded about 120 different GPS trail tracks into it. I bought a RAM suction cup mount. Still have to figure out exactly where to put it once the mount comes.

I just bought the same device for dedicated nav, but plan on using Gaia on it. The 8 inch screen seems to be the sweet spot in size for me. I chose the Galaxy Tab 3 8 inch for the size, ability to accept memory cards and the GPS, of course. I wasn't planning on getting it quite yet, but Woot had a great deal on them.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Does an aGPS device get a location faster because it can use the cell towers, even though you haven't paid for a data plan?!

Not in my experience. For a long time I was using an old cellphone to play music and run an "augmented reality" game while jogging. (Game plays story audio and uses GPS to track your speed and prompt you to react to imaginary threats while running). When used with data plan, the app would lock and begin the "mission" within 30 seconds. When I transferred the SIM card (and thus the data plan) out of that device and into a new phone, the device and app would take several MINUTES to lock the GPS.

The workaround I found was to use Wi-Fi to get a data connection for the device until GPS locked, then start my running. This worked because my workplace had a strong WiFi bubble outside the building. Once locked, I could run for miles outside of WiFi and the GPS would track reliably. Lockup without a data connection was also reliable, but just took much longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94