Best tablets for navigation?

DrMoab

Explorer
I'm curious which mapping program works best for turn by turn direction and route plotting in the boonies. I'd like something that will give me actual distances on smaller dirt roads and trails. Similar to garmins topo 24k programs will.

jCubed

Adventurer
I'm curious which mapping program works best for turn by turn direction and route plotting in the boonies. I'd like something that will give me actual distances on smaller dirt roads and trails. Similar to garmins topo 24k programs will.

I've started to play with GaiaGPS on the iPad and it seems pretty awesome. It allows route planning from the app where most won't. I think I officially have every halfway decent off road nav app now. :-(

DrMoab

Explorer
You know if they make an android version? I'm an apple guy however I think for a tablet based navigation tool I'm going android for a few reasons. Cost, better OBDII compatibility and a few other small reasons.

robgendreau

Explorer
I like Gaia GPS for route planning mostly because of the number of map types available and the ease of using them. And it's great for recording a route. I don't love it when following a route as much; it sort of has a turn by turn thing going (remember that offroad you're not gonna get audio turn by turn like on a TomTom on the highway, eg) but I like a more traditional GPS interface, like the one in Motion X. In Motion X it's more of a pain to customize types of maps, but I like it otherwise. In Trimble's scheme (they have a few apps) you can plan the route online, and your route snaps to roads on the map, which is convenient, and then download to the handheld.

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
I'm considering using a laptop, netbook or "pad" of some kind in conjunction with my Delorme PN-60. Ideally I would like to use the Delorme laptop GPS puck and the off-road maps. I have little need for street mapping. My big question is this: my exploring and adventure trips take me off-road, usually rough and dusty traveling with the windows down, the sunroof opened up ... you get the picture. I'm am concerned with the dust and jarring a laptop, netbook or pad would undergo. I would like the larger screen, but I'm thinking that one of the larger GPS units are my only option (usually out of my price range). Comments, ideas?

RobRed

Explorer
I'm considering using a laptop, netbook or "pad" of some kind in conjunction with my Delorme PN-60. Ideally I would like to use the Delorme laptop GPS puck and the off-road maps. I have little need for street mapping. My big question is this: my exploring and adventure trips take me off-road, usually rough and dusty traveling with the windows down, the sunroof opened up ... you get the picture. I'm am concerned with the dust and jarring a laptop, netbook or pad would undergo. I would like the larger screen, but I'm thinking that one of the larger GPS units are my only option (usually out of my price range). Comments, ideas?

I've been using an iPad for almost 4 years without incident or failure in your described scenario. iPad 1 for 3 years and iPad Mini for about 1 year. An iPad 1 with Cellular/GPS can be had for less than 200 used. The necessary apps are about 3-10 dollars. You wont be using your delorme in any capacity with this solution.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
I have not put my hands on any tablets...yet. I've been consuming all you people's experience from this thread. :) So it's very much appreciated. There is something I'm not making a connection on when I review specs of some hardware. For example many people are using the Nexus 7, which is appealing to me for it's size, and how is GPS being done? Same question for the iPad 1 (above ^). Specifically, I'm interested in WiFi only hardware. Hope that makes sense as I must have missed the explanation of this. :(

Thanks in advance

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Yup....missed it on the previous page. Probably 1 of many redundant pieces of info.

That might be stretching it on the 'low cost' side of things. I didn't see any built-in GPS or bluetooth, which means you may not be able to connect to an external GPS. I have quite a few of these 'cheap' Android tablets, and most get to that cost by using lower cost wireless components, which usually means no GPS or Bluetooth.

If this model did have Bluetooth, you could always get an external bluetooth GPS and use that, however the screen resolution is very 2009, so you might be disappointed by the quality. Of course, it's a cheap tablet, so there are tradeoffs :)

Also, it only has 512MB of memory...not a big problem for running basic applications, but I have found that it can cause quite a lot of screen (actually map tile) refresh issues...lots of chunky scrolling when you are driving and the tablet has to update the screen.

It does have Google Play, which would allow you to get some solid mapping software.

Looking in your price range, I would keep an eye out for a refurbished or lightly used Nexus 7 (first generation). I've seen those for as little as $90 on extreme sale (usually $120 or so) and they have built-in GPS (works well) and have a nice screen and processor. It's a little more expensive than the $60 for this tablet, but you have everything built into the unit and don't have to buy anything else.

Cole

Expedition Leader
? Same question for the iPad 1 (above ^). Specifically, I'm interested in WiFi only hardware. Hope that makes sense as I must have missed the explanation of this. :(

Thanks in advance

Why would you be interested in wifi only stuff if you want to use it as a GPS?

Almost all tablets, iPad and Android come in both flavors! Usually get GPS packaged with cellular capability. iPads don't require a contract for data. Just turn data on/off as needed (on a monthly basis). Many of the androids sold through carriers have contracts attached for data.

Maverick1701

Adventurer
For example many people are using the Nexus 7, which is appealing to me for it's size, and how is GPS being done? Same question for the iPad 1 (above ^). Specifically, I'm interested in WiFi only hardware. Hope that makes sense as I must have missed the explanation of this. :(

Thanks in advance

I have the wifi only nexus 7. GPS is internal. I have also run it off of an external GPS puck for $hits and grins...it worked equally well as the internal GPS setup.

RobRed

Explorer
IN the Apple universe iPad's that are wifi only models, of any and all generations, do not contain a GPS chipset. As a stand alone solution wifi only models are not appropriate for navigation UNLESS used with a third party GPS device like Bad Elf etc.

iPads that are wifi + Cellular DO have GPS chipsets in them are are capable stand alone navigation devices. A VERY common misconception is a requirement to pay for and activate data services on these models to make GPS work - It's untrue, you DO NOT NEED A DATA PLAN. You can use the wifi functionality and still access the GPS chipset.

Many Android "wifi only" models have the GPS chipset and can be used as stand alone navigation units. The downside with Android is lack of software choices to do said navigation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior