Best tablets for navigation?

java

Expedition Leader
Well i ended up with a nexus 10. Used it this past weekend with BCN and it was awesome, great to be able to see the details on a large screen vs being on my phone! The 10" was because i use it at work a fair bit and need the larger screen for plan viewing.

zukrider

Explorer
has anyone any preference on Adobe Flash not working on Android? how have you gotten around it, and are you happy with the results?

im between a Tab3/Note 8", Nexus 7, or an Asus Transformer.

does anyone know if the Transformer key board works while not docked? meaning, if i have the tablet mounted on dash, can i get out the key board and wirelessly use it? also with that question, is the tablet chargable with out the base, and vice-versa?

thanx for any help provided.

java

Expedition Leader
agree on Dolphin working, but I find it clunky as a browser. I use chrome when not wanting to use flash.

Yudda

Adventurer
Yep, I use Dolphin exclusively for Flash.

Since my tablet is a 2013 nexus 7... Chrome for everything else.

Also... I can wholeheartedly reccomend a 7" tablet for the dash.. I originally bought a full size iPad
and on my truck it was way too big. It blocked buttons and controls as well as a much needed ac vent.
I wasn't happy. The nexus 7 works perfect.

Yudda

Adventurer
My pleasure Zuk.

If there is a negative to the nexus 7 its that there is no micro SD card slot.
There is a OTG port though....its just a bit ungainly to use. On the plus side...I use the OTG
Port to connect my 1terra portable hard drive. Basically on every trip I carry my entire music collection as well a ton of HD
Movies and every map of the country. With those two devices its an incredibly capable setup.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I have both the Nexus 7 and the Transformer. I like the screen on the transformer better (much better sunlight visibility), speedwise they are about the same.

The transformer will charge without the base, but it's not that fast (there is a special 15V car charger you can buy that makes it much faster). I don't know about the kayboard being wireless, I think you need to have it docked (don't quote me on that, I don't have the keyboard).

I agree on the size difference, the 7" is a much better fit if you have space issues on your dash...but having that 10" screen is nice! I have to sacrifice some of my dash vents when I run the transformer in the truck. 90% of the time I use the Nexus, it's just more convenient.

If I had to choose one tablet, I'd go Nexus.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I just got my Tab 3 8". Loading apps as I surf on the laptop. Can't wait to try it out in a couple days venturing to the local deserts.

Maverick1701

Adventurer
I use my nexus 7 and love it. I have several downloadable mapping programs on it. I mainly use it on the motorcycle (it fits perfectly in the see-through top of my tank bag) for on and off-road routing/position tracking/etc.

I have not tried it in a "real" vehicle yet.

As for other general use I have no complaints. Internet, music, vids....it does everything well.

zukrider

Explorer
thank you all for the input.

any takers on whether or not the keyboard portion of an Asus Transformer can operate while separated?

zukrider

Explorer
Well! my girlfriend bought me my early Xmas present. 8" Note, 16g. looking forward to working out the specifics of mounting in the Xterra, and then playing with software!

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Independend what for an App or Device you use for Navigation, if you have the ability to add satellite view - Custom Tile Servers for downloading (like MotionX on iPad/iPhone) this may be helpful:

Also when you compare the Image quality of the different Satellite-View Providers you will see extreme differences.

Bing-Maps-Cameroon.JPG
Ovi-Maps-Cameroon.JPG

Link: Compare satellitenview Qualität between: Bing vs Google vs Ovi (Here.com)

At sample in Cameroon Google shows a better Road-Overlay - but it loose against Bing in kind of available resolution where you can scan to. You really have to look where you plan to travel - and compare there some spots by yourself! In the sample above you still can zoom nearer with Bing, whilst Ovi and Google don't provide a better resolution...

Last edited:

bnoland

Observer
I have a Samsung Note 8 I use with a ram mount tablet mount. I use back country navigator and Syria with it. It works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94