Best soft shackles made in the USA?

WSS

Rock Stacker
Hey, I just looked at your etsy listing with the 3/4", I suppose I should have asked how much first LOL. I'm going to do 2 for now. color does not matter to me. What ever you have on hand. Merry Christmas!

WSS

Rock Stacker
Ok, I was not expecting it to be so huge! WOW, I am keeping one in my truck just to show off. Great quality too. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
It took me a while to figure out all that stuff you mentioned. I was a die hard steel rope and clevis guy. I shed 35lbs swapping over. I kept 2) 3/4" shackles just in case. I have had synthetic winch line for years, but steel hooks, shackles, blocks, etc. My wife is a fiair rigger and can get me out a situation now without fighting it. No threading, no whiskers, very light recovery bag, etc..

View attachment 698500

One of our tasks here at my shop is unloading 53' LTL trailers that have the load on the nose and no dock. For 25yrs we used chain and hooks. to pull the load. This last year we are using kinetic ropes and soft shackles, my soul is at ease!! I would cringe if I had to send a guy to the deck to guide the pallets while using chain.

0CF1ECC4-BFE9-4DFE-B26D-77F47145C71F.jpeg

That's one heck of a sexy Recovery Bag!

Another source for tested/certified synthetic recovery gear used by the Pros is:

Cheers!

BTW, we're in field testing now of a line of "Technical" recovery bags for the working professional! Should change how people carry and deploy their gear!

Last edited:

WSS

Rock Stacker
View attachment 759769

That's one heck of a sexy Recovery Bag!

Another source for tested/certified synthetic recovery gear used by the Pros is:

Cheers!

BTW, we're in field testing now of a line of "Technical" recovery bags for the working professional! Should change how people carry and deploy their gear!

Can you give a few hints? Sounds interesting. That bag has been oogled by many pros. A Snowcat recovery crew from San Bernadino NF loved it.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Can you give a few hints? Sounds interesting. That bag has been oogled by many pros. A Snowcat recovery crew from San Bernadino NF loved it.

No problem. (I just try not to show too much gear on here unless asked).

I designed the ATC Recovery Bag about 15 years ago for my CP vehicle and Land Cruiser based on what I normally dealt with and the tools I needed to carry. It's made in Colorado using all USA textiles and hardware. (paraffin waxed canvas from Iowa, 1000D Cordura from NC, Nylon from California and #10 YKK zippers from Kentucky and sewn in Colorado).
We've also produced the orginal ATC designed Recovery Bag for Factor 55/Warn, Rivian EAV, Earthroamer, Sprinter Camper Vans, etc......and a number of Gov/Military organizations, Race Teams and Companies.

Cheers and lmk if you have any questions or if your pros need any custom work done (I specialized doing one-off ($$$$) and custom design production work ($$) for a number of 3 letter agencies, LE, SAR's and small military units.

As mentioned, I have a number of "technical" bags that I've developed for the working Pro's (SAR's, LE, Clubs, TL's, Commercial and Military) but, they're currently getting the crap beat out of them in testing. Planning on doing our normal new product release at OE West 2023!

DE1CBEDA-32A5-47E7-9425-366B9A3E2817.jpeg2D75E392-34DE-4452-9799-A57D73A7DA65.jpeg41C8DFB2-0496-4616-894E-2F918E859459.jpeg

Last edited:

WSS

Rock Stacker
I should start a "where is Waldo" type of thread with ATC gear. Over the Christmas vacation, we took 6 teenagers snowboarding. Did not take the jeep though, took the wife's FX4 Expedition. I grabbed a tire repair kit (an ATC zipper pouch) and the same recovery bag from the Jeep and put in with the chains and other defcon 2 gear. Loaded on the bumper rack were two large gear bags and inside were 3 dopp bags. I was going to take pics about half way through the trip as I noticed how much the logo popped. My wife uses an orange dopp bag as a first aid kit, it was ALWAYS out LOL. You sewed a velcro strip on a pack of 6 dopp bags for me once, those were confiscated by my wife. I have the lowly un-velcro style for myself.

My new challenge is to fit the huge ChanMadeGear shackle in the bag. It is "show stopper" big.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've started using reclaimed wildland firehose as guard material on my soft shackles ( and other recovery products )

signal-2023-01-10-141700.jpeg

This material, with its Polyurethane liner bonded to the stout Polyester outer guard material, is providing a 10:1 increase in life for the abrasion guards versus the typical nylon tubular webbing. This guard material is a perfect fit snug fit over the legs of a 7/16" dual leg shackle and others of similar size. Another big bonus is that the polyurethane liner is also slightly 'sticky' on the UHMWPE so it doesn't move around, but is also a completely separate part that can be easily replaced to increase the life of the soft shackle. Since it is removeable, it also makes it possible to inspect the load bearing fibers of the soft shackle if you end up in a situation where you had to rig to something with a smaller than ideal corner radius. The TPU inner also helps keep the ends from fraying.

I have this guard material available in 3' lengths also if you would like to retrofit some of your existing gear.

Note: I do not recommend this material for a 'traveling' line such as a winch, where the guard needs to stay static and the line is moving through it. I have something new coming to address that specific issue and give a few more options than the traditional options we have currently on the market.

WSS

Rock Stacker
I've started using reclaimed wildland firehose as guard material on my soft shackles ( and other recovery products )

View attachment 760246

This material, with its Polyurethane liner bonded to the stout Polyester outer guard material, is providing a 10:1 increase in life for the abrasion guards versus the typical nylon tubular webbing. This guard material is a perfect fit snug fit over the legs of a 7/16" dual leg shackle and others of similar size. Another big bonus is that the polyurethane liner is also slightly 'sticky' on the UHMWPE so it doesn't move around, but is also a completely separate part that can be easily replaced to increase the life of the soft shackle. Since it is removeable, it also makes it possible to inspect the load bearing fibers of the soft shackle if you end up in a situation where you had to rig to something with a smaller than ideal corner radius. The TPU inner also helps keep the ends from fraying.

I have this guard material available in 3' lengths also if you would like to retrofit some of your existing gear.

Note: I do not recommend this material for a 'traveling' line such as a winch, where the guard needs to stay static and the line is moving through it. I have something new coming to address that specific issue and give a few more options than the traditional options we have currently on the market.

Good (re) use of old hose. What size is the hose?

Some venues that needed lock down security (from active shooters) would use 2" lined hose in very short 3" pieces to slip around door closer arms. The lining gripped the arms and was used to keep the closer arm from opening, making the door essentially handcuffed. It was clever to watch it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94