Best soft shackles made in the USA?

WSS

Rock Stacker
We aren't talking about industrial propane cutting torches. Not every hardware store carries those. Think simpler.

The small cylinder type found at hardware stores produce 3600F, 10 times what is needed to start an annealing of moderately hard martensitic or austenitic alloys. If you completly soak a shackle at 1100f, it will be the equivalent hardness of A36 (mild) steel. If you heat only part of it to 600f, you have a part that has both tight and loose molecules, the edge of where these meet (HAZ) will fail before the WLL is reached.

I test alloys to destruction, I have seen the grain structure failure at the HAZ. I test mostly hardened alloys, AR plate, ground engaging tools and hard alloys coated with Chromium and Tungsten carbides. Some of the items are so sensitive, even a cool breeze on a hot part will create a HAZ (heat affected zone)

The British Thermal Unit (BTU) value of acetylene is 1470 per cubic feet, whereas propane has a BTU value of 2498 per cubic feet.

Alloy

Yikes! How much WLL do you think you loose when you put heat to a steel pin or shackle? You should probably mention this to a supervisor or safety officer at your company. Any steel that you annealed has been comproemised and lost hardness and strength. BE SAFE!

You're turning something as simple as warming a shackle to remove ice into a saftey risk? I've heated shackles for years. If I heat the metal up to the point of annealing it then it is useless because I can't hold in my hand.

WSS

Rock Stacker
You're turning something as simple as warming a shackle to remove ice into a saftey risk? I've heated shackles for years. If I heat the metal up to the point of annealing it then it is useless because I can't hold in my hand.

You refer to the term "soaked", which, yes you could not hold even 200f, which is safe. All good, just thought I would share real info. If you are skilled enough to warm a shackle evenly, then you have no reason to consider the result a risk. I know I am not that skilled.

To me and a lot of other "non-experts", using steel rope or steel shackles in a recovery is a safety risk, leave "warming" out of it and it is still a risk.

That is just my opinion based on research. I am not qualified to recommend one or the other.

Ragnarok Overland

I need rigging that works year round, frozen soft shackles are useless. Frozen steel, fire up a torch.

Dyneema based ropes (Plasma, Amsteel, UHMWPE, etc) has a working temperature of almost -200 F (negative 200 degrees). I'm not sure why you are so hell bent against "soft" recovery equipment. In so many industries, including overlanding, it's just better in every conceivable way except maybe price. The "being careful of sharp stuff" yea, a little bit, but then again, it's such a minor aspect it's barely even worth mentioning. And as was mentioned, keep a bow shackle or two just in case, i still do. And the amount of gear i carry for recovery now weighs maybe 1/4 of what the equivalent in steel would weigh.

Ragnarok Overland

I've never had a soft shackle freeze

And even if this did happen, instead of breaking out the propane torch to thaw your steel shackle (which im actually surprised that was even a thing), just put the soft shackle in your pocket for a few minutes. The idea of carrying gear to fix or correct gear, very odd.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
And even if this did happen, instead of breaking out the propane torch to thaw your steel shackle (which im actually surprised that was even a thing), just put the soft shackle in your pocket for a few minutes. The idea of carrying gear to fix or correct gear, very odd.

Totally agree.

People like what they like. Most people won't take the time ( or spend the money ) to try new things. I can understand that to a degree in a commercial setting, but I continue to see synthetic rigging becoming more and more in demand ( and even required ) for safety reasons. I work in the oil/gas/water/mining pipeline industry. I have friends that have worked in mining for 15+ years and they are sending me pictures of more and more synthetic gear all the time.

My personal focus lately has been developing gear and techniques that will better bridge between the two. There are a lot of hard edge vehicle recovery points out there that just don't play nice with most synthetic rigging. On the other side of that is encouraging people to build vehicles that are more compatible with synthetic rigging.

Ragnarok Overland

Totally agree.

People like what they like. Most people won't take the time ( or spend the money ) to try new things. I can understand that to a degree in a commercial setting, but I continue to see synthetic rigging becoming more and more in demand ( and even required ) for safety reasons. I work in the oil/gas/water/mining pipeline industry. I have friends that have worked in mining for 15+ years and they are sending me pictures of more and more synthetic gear all the time.

My personal focus lately has been developing gear and techniques that will better bridge between the two. There are a lot of hard edge vehicle recovery points out there that just don't play nice with most synthetic rigging. On the other side of that is encouraging people to build vehicles that are more compatible with synthetic rigging.

Couldn't agree more, i have seen lately companies that make vehicle bumpers and such starting to make attachment points with rounded edges, winch fairleads specifically for use with synthetic line with only a loop at the end (as opposed to a link or bridle), and so on.

Softshackleguy

Hi Everybody,

I came across this post just googling and I'd Iike to say that Samson AmSteel-Blue is some strong stuff that has many benefits. It is Dyneema HPME fiber. Samson is the #1 leader in rope for all industries since 1870s. MADE IN USA. YALE Cordage, New England Rope, and Marlow, to name other reputable companies, are also highly regarded. They all work with Dyneema and have their own line. Look for the SK75, SK78, SK99, and heat set vs non heat set ratings for more detailed information.

Dyneema, used in AmSteel-Blue, and Spectra, used in Plasma, are the two top makers of HPME fiber. Those are the names I would look for when buying synthetic rope. Anything else I would be skeptical and say it's unbranded UHMWPE rope. Even if it has a name tagged to it, it can be a company that finds a maker and just 'makes it their' brand.

One nice things I like about soft shackles is they connect to so many different parts without marring.

Everyone is talking about finding affordable MADE IN USA with USA material and I can't help but mention my ChanMadeGear Etsy and Instagram account. I only use AmSteel-Blue. I focus on 7/64 (3mm), 3/16 (5mm), 5/16 (8mm), and 7/16 (11mm). Currently selling 8" diameter 7/16 shackle for $31 + $6 shipping. I use the strong button knot, taper, and bury the ends.

I'm a one man splicing operation. I work directly with my customers and make to their spec.

If you don't want to make your own, check out my Instagram and etsy. I don't think you will find lower price for Made in USA, with USA material. Below are some of the orders I fulfilled, and pics of ones I made for inventory. Sold (2) 7/16 on etsy already. If I get more interest for 7/16 I'll stock up on more of that diameter. Right now I am out but will order if I get orders/interest. I can stick with the bury style or leave 2 strands out. Up to customers.
20211219_190033.jpg20211220_021934.jpg20211220_154301.jpg20211224_024127.jpg20211228_193806.jpg20211227_031133.jpg20211229_015436.jpg20211229_011353.jpg 20211229_021141.jpg

Last edited:

Softshackleguy

Thanks! Throughout my creations and feedback from others in the sailing community, some do not like milking the bury to close the eye because over time the milking gets tougher to close from debris/ wear. Mine do not require milking to close, it only needs slight tension to close the loop. The gray 2 strand style is also popular. That is 5/16. Red it 3/16
20220117_164343.jpg20220117_165019.jpg

frans

Adventurer
Hi Everybody,

I came across this post just googling and I'd Iike to say that Samson AmSteel-Blue is some strong stuff that has many benefits. It is Dyneema HPME fiber. Samson is the #1 leader in rope for all industries since 1870s. MADE IN USA. YALE Cordage, New England Rope, and Marlow, to name other reputable companies, are also highly regarded. They all work with Dyneema and have their own line. Look for the SK75, SK78, SK99, and heat set vs non heat set ratings for more detailed information.

Dyneema, used in AmSteel-Blue, and Spectra, used in Plasma, are the two top makers of HPME fiber. Those are the names I would look for when buying synthetic rope. Anything else I would be skeptical and say it's unbranded UHMWPE rope. Even if it has a name tagged to it, it can be a company that finds a maker and just 'makes it their' brand.

One nice things I like about soft shackles is they connect to so many different parts without marring.

Everyone is talking about finding affordable MADE IN USA with USA material and I can't help but mention my ChanMadeGear Etsy and Instagram account. I only use AmSteel-Blue. I focus on 7/64 (3mm), 3/16 (5mm), 5/16 (8mm), and 7/16 (11mm). Currently selling 8" diameter 7/16 shackle for $31 + $6 shipping. I use the strong button knot, taper, and bury the ends.

I'm a one man splicing operation. I work directly with my customers and make to their spec.

If you don't want to make your own, check out my Instagram and etsy. I don't think you will find lower price for Made in USA, with USA material. Below are some of the orders I fulfilled, and pics of ones I made for inventory. Sold (2) 7/16 on etsy already. If I get more interest for 7/16 I'll stock up on more of that diameter. Right now I am out but will order if I get orders/interest. I can stick with the bury style or leave 2 strands out. Up to customers.
View attachment 702118View attachment 702119View attachment 702120View attachment 702121View attachment 702122View attachment 702123View attachment 702124View attachment 702125 View attachment 702117
Wow nice work!
Splicing is such a satisfying thing to do! Often it’s just very easy. I’m in the tree industry and I just made this rigging sling. But I kind of screwed up the final end bury. But no worries it’s mostly aesthetic it’s not loadbearing.

Attachments

• BB70A3A3-A685-4460-B54E-B7646DE60DAC.jpeg
    BB70A3A3-A685-4460-B54E-B7646DE60DAC.jpeg
    799.5 KB · Views: 42

Softshackleguy

Thanks! Yup get easier as you make more, and satisfy indeed. I love when people buy/comment on my items. Pushes me to grow. Main reason I bought 5/16, so I can cater to more people.

Trying to be 'that soft shackle guy' everyone can go and work with for custom AmSteel-Blue products. :) so far I've worked with sailors, campers, arborist and offroaders!

Is that a daisy chain? Been seeing those

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles