Best sleeping pad

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
What makes the Exped Mega Mat so comfy is in my opinion, two fold. Firstly, it has those lovely lateral corrugations that give the mat a little texture like a home mattress. But, it is the vertical sidewalls that I think elevate the pad to something more familiar to most sleepers. Most pads have a rounded edge that gives the perimeter of the pad a vague reference so finding the center is important. Thermarest has a new pad coming out with similar vertical sidewalls for that reason.

The Mega Mat also doesn't have longitudinal or lateral baffles. So there is no biased "roll" direction. This is why I like the non-directional Air Cushions of the Sea to Summit pads.

I agree the Synmat 12 solves many of the drawbacks of the Mega Mat. I think the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated is my preferred pad over the Synmat for a couple reasons. I prefer the air cushions and the dual chamber inflation system. I prefer the Sts valves too.

JLee

Adventurer
Do you (anyone) generally prefer two single pads over a larger one (for two people)? I was looking at the Megamat Comfort Duo 10 or the Sim Comfort Duo 7.5 - space isn't a huge concern, but saving room is always nice in general. Price between the Duo 10 or two Sea to Summit Comfort mats is negligible, the Duo 10 has far better insulation, but the StS mats take up almost no room to speak of. The Duo 10 is...large.

D110

Observer
Glad to hear it. Do yourself a favor, get a 12v mattress air pump at walmart. I use mine to inflate AND deflate the megamats. It takes all the work out of rolling them up!
That's a great idea - actually have one from an old air mattress so I will throw it in the kit.

Cheers!

ab1985

Explorer
I love my Nemo Cosmo Air & Pillow Top combo, but I want to get something that sleeps two in my pop-top. At one point Nemo made one, but I think it's been discontinued. I may just make something using foam, but if I stick with an inflatable mattress Exped seems to be the way to go.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Just returned from a camping trip with the Exped Megamat. To be honest, I'm getting tired of dealing with a large tent, a large cot, and a large mattress. I love how easy it is to get up off the Camptime Roll-a-Cot and step out of the tent, plus the mega comfort of the Megamat, but I don't love the labor it takes to deal with these large items nor the space they take up in my vehicle. I debate this every trip but after this last trip I vowed to take a smaller gear set next time. To wit:

BIG STUFF
Kelty Trail Ridge 4 tent
Camptime-Roll-a-Cot
Exped Megamat

SMALL STUFF
Kelty Trail Ridge 3 tent
Helinox Cot One
Exped Synmat 7

The smaller gear set is very comfortable if you can tolerate crawling out of the tent.

Don't know if I mentioned that the Exped UL pumpbag does a good job of inflating the Megamat. I tried to use the large Schnozzel that comes with the Synmat 12 but found it just too humongous and unwieldy. It take about four fills with the UL pumpbag to fill the Megamat---actually easier than a foot pump, I found.

Nanabijou

Observer
Just returned from a camping trip with the Exped Megamat. To be honest, I'm getting tired of dealing with a large tent, a large cot, and a large mattress. I love how easy it is to get up off the Camptime Roll-a-Cot and step out of the tent, plus the mega comfort of the Megamat, but I don't love the labor it takes to deal with these large items nor the space they take up in my vehicle. I debate this every trip but after this last trip I vowed to take a smaller gear set next time. To wit:

BIG STUFF
Kelty Trail Ridge 4 tent
Camptime-Roll-a-Cot
Exped Megamat

SMALL STUFF
Kelty Trail Ridge 3 tent
Helinox Cot One
Exped Synmat 7

The smaller gear set is very comfortable if you can tolerate crawling out of the tent.

Don't know if I mentioned that the Exped UL pumpbag does a good job of inflating the Megamat. I tried to use the large Schnozzel that comes with the Synmat 12 but found it just too humongous and unwieldy. It take about four fills with the UL pumpbag to fill the Megamat---actually easier than a foot pump, I found.

PlacidWaters - I've been pondering the same issues regarding the labor involved in setting everything up. I'm always looking for ways to do more with less. Why? Because I'm also the one in charge of setting up the campsite ahead of time for everyone. I actually don't mind - as I like doing the work and it's peaceful doing it with nobody around. Of course - the group loves this too - as they can arrive to the site and everything is set up already. The work typically involves setting up 4 Roll-A-Cots and 4 mattresses, 4 sleeping bags, two large tents, cooler (on wheels), stove, 10 lb propane tank, table, and rain tarp. We also camp mostly in a walk-in site that requires meandering down a 100 yard trail from the road where the vehicles are parked - to the campsite. So all the stuff needs to be carried from the car and down to the campsite over several trips.

With that in mind - I occasionally forget how luxurious this system is - and opt to pack a more minimalist set up - but each time I do this - I'm always left feeling that the extra work is worth it for me in the long run. The best nights sleep is a high priority for me - and I just can't seem to achieve it without my current "labor-intensive" set up. At least when car camping.

I intend to purchase a Synmat 12 this year. Thanks for the tip! I also recently purchased a Nemo Mezzo Loft Luxury sleeping bag that has a sleeve to house my 30" Nemo Cosmo Insulated air mattress. I suspect the Synmat 12 will fit in the sleeve as well. I'm excited to try it out with the schnozzel. I change positions often when I sleep and I find myself often waking up wrapped tightly (straight-jacket comes to mind) and restrained throughout the night. It can take a while to unravel myself. The 30" Mezzo Loft Luxury connected to the mattress should keep the bag in place over the night. It's the small issues like this that now define my set up and why I'm still looking to refine it.

Mike

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Several years ago I too tired of large, bulky gear. I would not trade my Synmat-7 for anything, except another one when I wear it out! I used it even when offered a cot, and have never had a bad night's sleep on it, ever.

Sea-to-Summit is supposed to release a Sleep System - I can't wait to see what it's like.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I have been using Paco pads for 20 years. They are comfortable and tuff as a bonus. This thread however has me thinking that I should at least look at other options. My only complaint about Paco Pads is the size and weight but I say the same thing about my Oztent which has been in service since 2007 without a single issue. I tend to favor comfort in camp and will overlook the bulk and size of some items to achieve comfort.

xplrn42

Adventurer
Several years ago I too tired of large, bulky gear. I would not trade my Synmat-7 for anything, except another one when I wear it out! I used it even when offered a cot, and have never had a bad night's sleep on it, ever.

Mine has a slow leak in it. Not happy. Have to put it in the bathtub this week to find it I guess. I used my thermarest last weekend and the Synmats are the poo.

Nanabijou

Observer
Mine has a slow leak in it. Not happy. Have to put it in the bathtub this week to find it I guess. I used my thermarest last weekend and the Synmats are the poo.

I've had a couple lose air too - though only slow leaks. I suppose that's the trade-off for compact size and light weight. I wish Nemo and Exped would make a heavier duty version of their insulated air mattresses that weigh a little more - but are substantially more durable.

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
My wife and I have the REI 3" self inflating sleeping pads, and I have to say, they're really nice and aren't too expensive. I think they're a good compromise between comfort and form factor. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an even thicker pad, but they work great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94