Best setup for a family of 5

elysium

Observer
I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the best setup for an expo rig to fit a family of 5. I have an FJ now so its just me and 1 or 2 of my kids when I go out. I would like to take us all. The excursion sound like the best bet as I like to offroad also. I have to contend with HOA rules so I think a Tundra with a camper would not work. Any thoughts?

Yeah, HOA rules can be rough.

I think you may want to consider something like T. Low's awd astrovan conversion. Very cool with a pop top and 4 inch lift (see below).

Or you can go to a fullsize van with a sportsmobile (or take any van to sportsmobile and have them add a poptop for about $6-7k). I think either will be "stealth" enough to pass muster under HOA rules.

Poptop062.jpg

fowldarr

Explorer
We are debating the same thing at our house right now (family of 5, 3 boys 9/7/4). These are the options we keep kicking back and forth

Suburban v. Excursion - Plenty of room for everything, kids, dog, gear etc. Can get a diesel in the excursion...but that is not as important to me as other functionalities.

Tahoe or Yukon w/ 3rd row seat capability - For longer trips we woudl probably require some sort of enclosed trailer, I like to keep weight off the roof. Plus some of the new ones seat six, with captains chairs even in back...I like the feature, eliminates some of the "he's toucing me" conversations (also available in teh suburban)

Jeep Commander - Probalby the cheapest, especially if you buy a year or two old with low miles. I would never buy one new, the seem to depreciate about $10k per year, for the first couple of years. However, they are fairly comfortable, 3rd row seat folds away to a massive cargo area when not needed, little smaller than the tahoe/yukon, would definately need a trailer.

Requirements:
1) must fit 5 + 1 dog + gear
2) Must be comfortable
3) Must be reliable
4) Must be able to pull a camp trailer (just in case we ever get one)

We are still undecided, but that is where we are at.

dport

Adventurer
Even with just one child (6mo old) and a 3rd gen 4Runner, I want a trailer!! We just went to GA for 2 days and had the rig crammed. 2 bikes off the back, with a bike trailer, Kelty kid carrier, jogging stroller, baby supplies, and our clothes all inside the vehicle. Needless to say, I felt cramped. I have been considering a trailer, since before the kid arrived and I'm convinced that's the way to go. I like the idea of a trailer b/c you don't have to drive a vehicle 90% of the time that's meant for 10% of your activities. I personally LOVE the idea of an Excursion and have "wanted" one since they hit the showroom floor. But, I just can't see myself driving one around all the time. I have spent a little bit of time behind the wheel of a friend's, and liked it. I just don't want to drive it everyday. I would suggest buying a vehicle that fits you and the kids, and throwing the gear on a trailer. BTW, trailers make you look COOLER. :sombrero:

Our 3rd child is on the way, and we just added a Yukon XL (suburban) as our family vehicle. It was just too difficult to put 3 car seats across in our Grand Cheorkee. The more I drive the Yukon, the more I like it. The fuel economy is about the same as the old WJ.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
Just remember that the 3rd row seats are right in the middle of the rear cargo area.

If you use the 3rd seat you have less room than a regular fullsize Bronco or Blazer and about the same amount of room as a Tahoe.

If you only have three kids IMO they will have to just suck it up and set together, like we all did when we were kids. Having a vehicle with an extra row of seats is a BIG sacrifice just so the kids aren't "cramped" You are carrying around a MUCH bigger vehicle than you actually need.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Just remember that the 3rd row seats are right in the middle of the rear cargo area.

If you use the 3rd seat you have less room than a regular fullsize Bronco or Blazer and about the same amount of room as a Tahoe.

If you only have three kids IMO they will have to just suck it up and set together, like we all did when we were kids. Having a vehicle with an extra row of seats is a BIG sacrifice just so the kids aren't "cramped" You are carrying around a MUCH bigger vehicle than you actually need.

see, this is our thinking, too. our girls have a great time together in the back seat...

Just a different thought process, I guess.

Plus, I don't WANT a large vehicle, because we actually go offroading places where that's a detriment. We also don't want to have 3 vehicles, and our overland rig will always be my DD. Parking a monster suburban (been there, done that) can be a bit tricky in metropolitan San Diego's wee spaces.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Yeah, HOA rules can be rough.

I think you may want to consider something like T. Low's awd astrovan conversion. Very cool with a pop top and 4 inch lift (see below).

Or you can go to a fullsize van with a sportsmobile (or take any van to sportsmobile and have them add a poptop for about $6-7k). I think either will be "stealth" enough to pass muster under HOA rules.

A GTRV pop-up like Tom's will definitely pass HOA inspection, as you can barely notice it when down:
van1.jpg

Plus, its nominally an "8 passenger", 3-row vehicle, with some decent cargo volume behind the 3rd row, especially if you can "stack" to some degree.

HOWEVER: You will not be sleeping 5 comfortably in an Astro. I'm in the middle of planning my own Astro conversion and I'm stuck coming up with a way to get everything I want in with room for 3-4 sleepers. (Lower bunk that's between full/queen size and an upper bunk that'll be roughly full size.) The problem is the length. With room for any decent bed length in the back, it leaves little extra room for any "mounted" fixtures such as a fridge or toilet.

On the other hand, if you're not needing to sleep IN the van, a 4x4 converted Astro with a giant roof rack will haul more than enough gear for 5. Get a big-*** springbar tent, some cots or airbeds, etc. and you could probably do 7-8 people with that vehicle.

My build is tight only because the wife's parameters call for sleeping IN the van, and making room for a cassette toilet.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
First, let me claim that I love Broncos. We used to do a LOT of traveling in my dad's mid-70s Bronco, and travel often with our family friends to Moab and around AZ in them. They are so simple and so amazing off-road considering their vintage.

Often both the 2nd row and 3rd row can be partial though and allows for flexible storage, at least that helps with the eating away of cargo from the extra seats, but you're right many vehicles don't have much space behind that 3rd row. My 80 & 100 it is minimal.

If you only have three kids IMO they will have to just suck it up and set together, like we all did when we were kids.
Yep, we sure did all suck it up when we were kids and we made our parents absolutely crazy who undoubtedly planned shorter trips because of it (I know mine did). With the larger options we have today travel can be made that much more pleasant, not just for the kids, but for the parents too.

Last edited:

SCRover

Adventurer
love this thread because my wife and i (at least I) have been mulling the optimum travel rig for some time now. we, too, have three boys (6,4, 2) and they are all in car seats and/or boosters. we've opted for the biggest, safest seats we can find, so space is a huge issue.

our current set-up for daily duty is three car seats in the 2nd row of my wife's '02 Sequoia and three car seats in my DD - an '06 Tundra DC. we bought the truck for its hauling and towing capabilities (we have a large pop-up) and, though we haven't been on a trip yet in the truck yet (we bought it in 12/09), i can see it working very well for longer trips.

i love the idea of an SMB, but there is no way to sleep 5 comfortably. i've otherwise considered everything from converted C303s and 101FCs to Syncros and D130s. i have both a D110 and a 5-door Series 109, but neither is adequate for comfortable family travel, especially of any distance.

i think a full-size truck with a DC is the way to go. there are many options from pulling a standard travel trailer, to pulling a pop-up (nice because the low weight and low stance), to mounting a camper (so to speak). you can even pull an off-road rig.

oh, and be sure you get drop-down or headrest-mounted DVD with headphones, especially if your chitluns are young. go without it and, well, let's put it this way... you may leave on vacation with 5 people, but don't necessarily expect to return with all of them.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Check out a 2006 or newer Nissan Armada. You can get them used very inexpensively, because they only get 11mpg, but the accelerate like Porche's and hold a TON of gear. They have more rear seat room than any other vehicle on the road besides the Mercedes Maybach saloon. We have the lux version, but the Sport version comes with a locking rear diff. They both have traction control that actually works pretty well, and shift on the fly 4wd systems. Ours has done pretty well, and like I said, tons of room! The only limitation that prevents us from using ours offroad more is that its my wife's company vehicle :)

585368353_qctuf-XL.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
It's always hard to suggest what a vehicle or method to recommend because there really is no one foolproof "plan". Do you want a dedicated travel rig, a multi-purpose rig, or just a weekend cruiser? How much do you want to spend? Are you going to use it everyday or just once in a while? So I'll throw my opinion on the campfire of discussion and see how it burns.

For us the best set-up is a Double Cab truck. Plenty of room in the cab for the family and it can be used for work and hauling duties when dealing with the real world we all have to live in. Our current long travel rig is a '06 Tundra DC. We're pushing the tall side as a family, other than my wife whose on the petite side of the tape. I'm pushing 6', my 15 yr old daughter is 5'-9" while the boy, whose 12, is already 5' -10" and growing like a mutant weed. The Tundra has a comfy interior with plenty of room to stretch out the long legs that our family seems to sprout. The DC Tundra is very roomy and the kids can spread out very comfortably. Theres' plenty of 12v power outs in the back for their chargers and gear and more cupholders than they need.

We are currently running a topper for long haul trips. The nice thing about this is that the rear window of the DC is powered, so when it's dropped down access to the bed through the cap slider window is really easy. Set on the deck in the front of the bed is our daily travel cooler with drinks and snacks as well as the kids travel bags with their books and stuff. Drop the rear window, which we call The Airlock , and the kids reach back to get a cold drink or their next book to read. As an aside, I think half of our travel weight iis the sheer amount of literature we cart around on trips. This frees up room in the cabin and keeps clutter down. We can store all the gear for extended trips in the bed easily despite the amount of gear we bring. This includes two tents, shade shelter, latrine shelter and pot, 25 gal water tank, full complement of cooking gear, food storage, cooler or fridge, sleeping gear(bags,pillows and pads), tools, recovery gear, trail tools (axe, hilift, chainsaw), firewood, campstove and so on and so forth. I'm sure you get the gist of it. Plus with the gear in the bed and seperated from the cabin stuff like shells collected on a beach or damp wet tents or towels don't stink up the interior on the ride home. Yeah, shells stink after sittting in the hot humid air of a vehicles interior.:snorkel:

Another plus to the truck is that it gives us some flexibility to chose the set-up we need for any given trip. Sometimes, if we're going to more rugged terrian and trails, we go with the above load out. It keeps us nimble and flexible when the woods get tight. Other times when we will be basecamping and exploring out from one area for a couple of days then we hook up our off road pop-up camp trailer and that pretty much clears out the bed . Everything listed above either isn't needed or it all fits easily within the confines of the trailer. If your interested just check out my Tundra link in my signature.

I think the ultimate set-up would be like TacoDocs DC Taco with the Flippak. A Tundra version of his set-up would be a sweet because while Tacos are nice, V-8 power is always better. But I say start out with a good used truck and a cheap cap of some kind and see how it works out for your family as you use it the first couple of times. Tweek the set-up as you go and dail it in to fit your needs.

Edit: Also if you go this route it be worth checking out jim65wagon's Tundra build thread as he is the king of organized gear storage and hauling. The sheer amount of stuff he hauls in a small area is amazing. He's got some good ideas in that there thread.

Last edited:

fhale

For the past five years my family (wife and two children) have travelled in a 05 Tacoma double cab pulling an Adventure Trailer. It was really a nice combination for many of the obvious reasons already mentioned. However, with car seats as large as they are today, we were all uncomfortable. My children's knees would butt up against our seats that were already pushed way forward. After a couple hundred miles or a few hours stuck in traffic getting out of town was horrible.

To ease our pain and frustration we sold the Tacoma and purchased a four door 2003 Ford F350 7.3L diesel (the last year they made them). What a difference it has made traveling for all of us. It's very roomy, comfortable, reliable, and functional, but also huge. We also sold the trailer and are now searching for a truck camper (Four Wheel or Hallmark). The trailer was fantastic because of the storage capabilities and cooking and sleeping arrangements. Yet we found that a trailer with a rooftop tent was not the best option for us unless if we were camping in decent weather conditions. For example, the last time we used it we hit 3 solid days of rain. By the third day the tent was really damp inside, there was no where to go and get dry, and we were 600 miles from home. This was not pleasant for anyone, especially when four people are crawling over each other in the middle of the night to climb down a ladder and take a leak in the rain.

My goal has, and still is, to provide my family the opportunity to enjoy exploring and living in the outdoors. To do this on a regular basis I feel there has to be a certain comfort level so everyone will want to do it again and again.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
My goal has, and still is, to provide my family the opportunity to enjoy exploring and living in the outdoors. To do this on a regular basis I feel there has to be a certain comfort level so everyone will want to do it again and again.

Quoted for truth.

This thread has brought up some excellent points and truths for us, since we've only been on short camping excursions in our Cherokee. Mrs. Bigdaddy has been talking about the possibility of a different rig for the last few days, wondering out loud if a larger rig is in our future...

We're excited to do some longer trips, and see how the cherokee does, but are definitely listening to those folks who've "been there, done that".

Buzz Lightyear

My biggest piece of advice to anyone with little kids getting into this type of travel is to go big early. Let me elaborate.

My family got into "overland" camping about 4 years ago. At the time, our three kids were 5, 7 and 9, and we decided that the FJ could hold everyone and our gear, as long as we pulled a trailer. I bought one, did a few mods, built a trailer and off we went. It worked great and we loved it, but then the kids got bigger. Now, they're 9, 11 and 13 and they're all big for their age. Basically we have three adults (by size) and two kids. Now we have a 100 Series LC and we love it. It pulls the same trailer, the girls get the middle seat, my son the back seat, and it still holds clothes, recovery gear, 1st aid, etc.

The trailer holds everything else, including a huge supply of food (I think my kids have tapeworms), fridge, stove, firewood, etc, as well as the Eezi-Awn 2200, where we all sleep. There is barely enough room in the tent for all five of us, but we make it, though I will only do it with people I really like. Getting everyone situated at night is kind of like putting a puzzle together, but it works.

So, I would encourage you to consider the trailer route if it's at all possible and to go big early.

If someone can tell me how to post a picture I'll show you the rig.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
If someone can tell me how to post a picture I'll show you the rig.
Upload your image to Flickr, PBase, or even Photobucket (which I am not a fan of), and then use the links under the "share" tools of whatever image service you are using, and paste it into the image link button here on ExPo. The image service will take care of image compression and resizing for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online