Best Safari style shirt for Expedition and Casual wear

alanymarce

I've been using Craghopper Shirts for both Motorcycling and recreational and never let me down.
Craghoppers adventure 2 shirts are fantastic!

No question - Craghoppers are the best (at least for what we want). I've used everything under the sun, from the USA, Canada, Germany, France, UK, Australia, South Africa, Argentina..., for decades, and have settled on Craghoppers - fast drying, comfortable, breathe, mosquito repellent, you name it. For our last two big trips (a total of 19 months) we wore two each (wear, wash, swap) daily for ten months. Absolutely the best.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Checked out Akubra hats. Brim is too small, 3.25 inches just doesn't cut it. Looking for at least 5 inches in the brim, in a felt hat.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Since this thread just got bumped up, thought I'd chime in again with a new recommendation. While not branded as Safari (or Overland....), more to boat life, they are super high quality, very durable, wicked comfortable and not made in China. Check out: Atlanticrancher.com

I own their "dock" shirts and "boatyard" shirts:

Yes, not cheap. But you definitely get what you pay for. Their park ranger sweater is pretty amazing too

Does anyone know of a technical/travel shirt that looks somewhat like a normal shirt? I'm looking to replace all my shirts, but I'm not really keen on the shirts with a million pockets and zippers and in all the earth tones. What I'm really looking for is Rail Riders Versatac but in light blue or white, they only have tan and green. Don't really want to be looking like a park ranger everywhere.

Edit: I'm looking for a long sleeve, button down, mostly nylon, with 2 front pockets (other pockets are fine, as long as there are no zippers hanging out and such), in white or light blue color. Something that works while traveling or hiking, but also you could throw a jacket over and not be run out of a nice restaurant.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ventura911

Adventurer
Does anyone know of a technical/travel shirt that looks somewhat like a normal shirt? I'm looking to replace all my shirts, but I'm not really keen on the shirts with a million pockets and zippers and in all the earth tones. What I'm really looking for is Rail Riders Versatac but in light blue or white, they only have tan and green. Don't really want to be looking like a park ranger everywhere.

Edit: I'm looking for a long sleeve, button down, mostly nylon, with 2 front pockets (other pockets are fine, as long as there are no zippers hanging out and such), in white or light blue color. Something that works while traveling or hiking, but also you could throw a jacket over and not be run out of a nice restaurant.

The above link to 5.11 is now bouncing to its home page, but if you search for “Marksman,” you’ll see they have a light color called “Cinder” and blue/gray.

Last edited:
The above link to 5.11is now bouncing to its home page, but if you search for “Marksman,” you’ll see they have a light color called “Cinder” and blue/gray.
I looked at that one but it is not a button down and it's 100% polyester. I've had trouble in the past with polyester becoming smelly if you can't run it through the washing machine.

ventura911

Adventurer
I looked at that one but it is not a button down and it's 100% polyester. I've had trouble in the past with polyester becoming smelly if you can't run it through the washing machine.

You’re correct, they’re polyester. They are button-down, though.
9A02C378-1361-4651-BB6F-081E7CA7D36A.jpeg

I looked through all of 5.11's shirts and only saw 1 button down and it was all cotton.

I can find the proper material and color, but they all have point collars and that just doesn't make sense for an outdoor shirt. One gust of wind and you've got the collar flying into your face being annoying.

ChadHahn

Adventurer

I have a couple REI Sahara short sleeve shirts. They also make long sleeve ones. https://www.rei.com/product/193091/rei-co-op-sahara-solid-long-sleeve-shirt-mens

They are nice looking and easy to take care of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles