Best roof top tent ever.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You know, I must admit, I did not read the article until just now. I was merely responding to posts and giving my opinion. But after reading it I must say I do appreciate the sarcasm and the commitment to ones own ideals. I can commend a well founded rant that goes against popular opinion. To me however, it loses all substance and credibility when coupled with poor grammar or misspelled words coming from a major publication! If their editing staff took as much interest doing their job as he did belittling someone else's ideas and ambitions, then they would not have missed their mistake in the last paragraph of this supposedly authoritative article !
"If you are having trouble adequately curating your life experiences through your phone, may I suggest that you may be better served by visiting more, and more interesting places, than buy purchasing unnecessary lifestyle accouterments?"

Well, on the topic of proper use of words/grammar you should be using "one's" as opposed to "ones". As my mother would say, "make sure you are perfect before you go pointing out the flaws in other people"....

szfofa

Everyone is wayyyy too serious. Its satire...

I sort of think the critical responses are actually funny. The replies exploit the respective posters' insecurities they may have and the article taps into that. To try and retort with a rebuttal for every little detail and then another somehow peppers in unrelated anti-liberalism, is hilarious.

I take it not many of you find The Onion funny.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Everyone is wayyyy too serious. Its satire...

I sort of think the critical responses are actually funny. The replies exploit the respective posters' insecurities they may have and the article taps into that. To try and retort with a rebuttal for every little detail and then another somehow peppers in unrelated anti-liberalism, is hilarious.

I take it not many of you find The Onion funny.

I find it funny how my wife responds after I eat onions, har har har! But I concur about folks being way too sensitive on the web, makes about as much sense as arguing with a drunken idiot who always thinks he is right.

dman93

Adventurer
I normally don't care for Wes Siler's writings but actually appreciated this article. I got an RTT in the spring and have used it about 15 times. On our last camping trip we used our old ground tent and it seemed far more flexible. When we got home I removed the RTT (and the shell holding it up) and my Tacoma now feels like a sports car. There are certainly pro's and con's (yes, grammar police, I probably shouldn't use apostrophes there) but I think the article was at least thought-provoking.

rnArmy

Adventurer
This always cracks me up. Why on earth would you put the tent cot on the trailer. All you're doing is making it harder to get in and out of, and look ridiculous!

I already had the tentcot and trailer. There's not anywhere to put the folded tentcot in a Jeep TJ (they take up a lot of space) and not enough space inside the trailer for it. It weighs a lot less than a full-on RTT. I think it looks cool (looks like a RTT up there). It works well. Think of a tentcot as a RTT with legs. Easier to set up and fold up this way mounted to the trailer lid. I'm even further off the ground. I have space under the tentcot to store items. Dare to be different. Run with what you've got. Did I mention I think it looks cool? Did I mention I don't care what others think?

Cover.1.jpgCover.2.jpgCover.3.jpgtent cot.23.jpg

Last edited:

Judoka

Learning To Live
Well, on the topic of proper use of words/grammar you should be using "one's" as opposed to "ones". As my mother would say, "make sure you are perfect before you go pointing out the flaws in other people"....

Yeah, I understand that. Of course if you read the last line of my comment you will discover the reason for my presumed use of poor grammar. I tapped out the response on a cell phone which is way too small for my fingers, and has autocorrect. I gave the author the same satirical benefit of doubt. I am constantly texting my wife, "I live you" instead of I love you! Please forgive my oversight. However, I don't believe I would type out an entire article with a cell phone.

Judoka

Learning To Live
I find it funny how my wife responds after I eat onions, har har har! But I concur about folks being way too sensitive on the web, makes about as much sense as arguing with a drunken idiot who always thinks he is right.

Aha sir! I may indeed have been feeling my wine when I wrote my response! Otherwise I most certainly would not have attempted to tap it out on a cell phone.
:Wow1:

Judoka

Learning To Live
I already had the tentcot and trailer. There's not anywhere to put the folded tentcot in a Jeep TJ (they take up a lot of space) and not enough space inside the trailer for it. It weighs a lot less than a full-on RTT. I think it looks cool (looks like a RTT up there). It works well. Think of a tentcot as a RTT with legs. Easier to set up and fold up this way mounted to the trailer lid. I'm even further off the ground. I have space under the tentcot to store items. Dare to be different. Run with what you've got. Did I mention I think it looks cool? Did I mention I don't care what others think?

I still thing that is the coolest set up man! Short of a camper shell decked out for short term sleep, it is about the quickest and easiest setup to deploy and to break down when you have real miles to tick off! I know it is ridiculous, but I think saying it looks ridiculous is just...ridiculous! :snorkel:

Last edited:

tk421

Not surprising coming from a liberal rag like outside. It reads like sour grapes that there are some people moving away from traditional camping and outside mag is just behind the times in covering such trends so they want to poo poo on something different.

Can only speak for myself but I had a bear within 5' of my RTT this weekend in the smokies. It seemed less interested in what was up in the air than what was in the cars it broke into, the cooler it drug away and shredded and the hipsters ground tenting with a site full of marshmallows, chips and other misc food laying around. Watching the flat brimmed hat crowd run screaming into the night was pretty amusing.

It had rained some on thurs and off and on fri 'till 2pm so the prints in the dirt/mud were very easily found Sat morning. It was within 5' of my ladder and never a step more. I like to think mr or mrs bear thought the low hanging fruit as it were was an easier target. Maybe it liked the smell of new skinny jeans and overpriced coffee combined with beard wax?

Also of note:

-my JKUHR that didn't cost 100k (4.10's/auto) was loaded with a three days of gear, 180 pound RTT, 6x8 ARB awning and room, fridge full of beer and food etc got 17.5 mpg doing 62/65 mph on 93 oct gas. I don't feel this number is horrible at all considering I get the same or less if I drive it during the week
-with a sub $500 investment I can dolly my RTT to a hoist system, raise it in the air, back the jeep under it, lower it down then fully secure and roll out in 45 min or less with no lifting or struggling on my part
-if I didn't want to climb down my ladder I can pee in a nalgene bottle but I have a nice comfy pair of teva's I slip on, climb down the ladder and have my luggable loo/doodie bag setup in my annex meaning I can be nice and dry/warm if nature calls during the night
-I have levels mouted inside and outside my jeep to see what adjustments I need to make so it's far from difficult
-when I arrived on fri it was raining and I set up my RTT in said rain and found it to be 100% dry inside. After waiting the rain out in my awning room watching a movie and drinking a beer I attached the annex
-my four person RTT fit's my 6'5 self just fine. I sleep just as soundly in it as I do at home in my cali king bed
-their reasoning for people not wanting to be on the ground due to bugs/animals in asinine. Guess where Wes lives they have no flying insects, raccoon, etc?
-I don't know anyone with a 100k suv so Wes must keep very affluent company
-and not everyone does the social media thing. I didn't know ****** instagram was until 6 mos ago. Maybe I will start one now so I can tag Wes with pictures of my RTT set up.

Bravo on getting so bent out of shape over a semi-satirical article about your method of shelter. Bonus points for somehow bringing in politics.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I read the article, own a trailer mounted RTT (maybe the biggest ever made), and some great ground tents too. I've been thinking more lately about a RTT on top of my rig for over nights and last minute outings with my boys. In all honesty a quality ground tent that sets up quick with good bag/pad is light and fast. However, I sleep like a babe in my RTT with my down comforters and pillows. All said and done I'd second the ground tent thinking but drop the Gucci dry bag for a hard roof box...

On a side note, he seems to be mocking and knocking hipsters while trying to sell sponsors products... Just IMHO

INSAYN

Adventurer

View attachment 381106View attachment 381111View attachment 381112View attachment 381116

I have a buddy that camps with me when we go to the coast for some off shore kayak fishing. I built a trailer with a Maggiolina Airtop on it for me to sleep in, and we put a 12' x 12' Quik Shade up next to it. He has one of the single Tent Cot units on the ground, yet still under the Quik Shade. We've set this up this way at least a few dozen times over the past 3-4 years now. Not the prettiest setup, but freaking works.

I can totally understand your view on function, coolness factor and run what you have. It works, why not use it?

Looks good to me.

AbnMike

Observer
I wish someone had just punched me in the face when I insisted on having a RTT.

Now we have a Kodiak Canvas tent that I can stand up in, sit in, let the dogs sleep in, leave behind to go to town or go wheeling, can set up to air dry if it gets wet in the back yard instead of preventing me from driving because the tent is airing out after a trip, doesn't affect my mpg, doesn't shake to high heaven in a wind storm, and I can get dressed without laying prone in the bed.

Just a bump for those who are continually on the lookout for a RTT for the cool factor. Sure they look cool. And they have some benefits (but probably depends more on where you live and how you camp) but the drawbacks were legion.

SEREvince

Adventurer
After a failed attempt to through hike the PCT using a RTT, I started to falter in my love for all things RTT. The icing on the cake was almost drowning after mounting my RTT on a kayak. RTT's are indeed the devil!

Lol, I have everything from a trick hammock setup to a 30' class C Motorhome. I've found that at times they all suck, of course sometimes they are perfect!

Of course if you disagree, you're wrong.

Cheers

Vince

Disclaimer: Some or all of the content contained within this post may be sarcasm.

Box Rocket

After a failed attempt to through hike the PCT using a RTT, I started to falter in my love for all things RTT. The icing on the cake was almost drowning after mounting my RTT on a kayak. RTT's are indeed the devil!

Lol, I have everything from a trick hammock setup to a 30' class C Motorhome. I've found that at times they all suck, of course sometimes they are perfect!

Cheers

Vince

Disclaimer: Some or all of the content contained within this post may be sarcasm.

:coffeedrink:

rnArmy

Adventurer

Cheers

Vince

Obviously you were using the wrong RTT when attempting the PCT through-hike. You needed one of these Mormon trail carts.

Mormon trail cart.1.JPGMormon trail cart.2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles