Best roof rack for LC100 with plans for over-the-hood opening rooftent?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I plan to mount a folding rooftent (likely eeziawn) that opens over the hood of my LC100, keeping nominal/light storage in the rear of the roof &| solar charging. There are dozens of full-length roof rack options out there. But minus closely inspecting each and every one, can anyone help advise?
  • Want it as low height profile as possible. I'm not a fan of those racks that sit so high I could store skis underneath.
  • Need something that can best distribute forces and load as best as possible due to the moment created by over-the-hood rooftent opening. Yes, the ladder afront will help but we all know there is significant moment created on a rack.
  • Simplicity.
Additionally, has anyone a decent solution for wind fairings around a fore-mounted rooftent? What would you do?

4Beast

Observer
Forgive my ignorance, but i don't know of any RTT that is designed to open over the hood, except for ones that have a pass through habitat, like a camper shell or modified troopy and those typically have supports connected to the bumper because they have a crawl through not a ladder. I don't think you could open any of the eezi-awn tents over the hood too well, but maybe? Are you just trying to keep your footprint to the side small? FWIW Eezi-Awn has the K9 roof racks which a lot of people like and are quite low profile. My ARB is low profile enough that it is a total ********** to take the nuts on and off that attach the RTT. Most racks have at least 6 attachment points, and that should be enough to distribute the weight, but I'm sure an engineer could chime in.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Forgive my ignorance, but i don't know of any RTT that is designed to open over the hood

None that are designed therefor, but none that are not designed therefor ;-)
i1_awntent.jpg

Are you just trying to keep your footprint to the side small?

I've already owned a 2200 that I opened to the side. Want to simplify. Plus, the side opening, at least for me, would have allowed a lot of other tight camp areas whereas I had to find significant side space. I know that sounds almost crazy, but when you've camped for months at a time with a 2200 it became an eye opener.

Eezi-Awn has the K9 roof racks ... are quite low profile.

It's not so much the profile of the rooftent, rather the profile height of the roofrack itself. I want that darn-near flush to the vehicle.

Bretthn

Explorer
Have seen a 100 series that did just this with a soft shell clamshell style tent. I think he had a Gamviti rack. They have adjustable mounting bracket heights and you can also choose an option for "handle"s above the drivers door or longer to go past the rear doors. This would be convenient for accessing buckles for opening and storing the tent. The handles also have some aesthetic appeal.

Box Rocket

Look at the Bowfin Cruisers racks. This would be the one I would choose if I had a 100 Series and wanted to do what you describe. Lightweight and incredibly strong rack. Having a tent open the hood is no big deal, just need to rotate it to open that way. Only consideration really is the angle of the ladder when deployed. Want to avoid having the ladder extended too far out to clear the front of the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles