Best quality replacement LR3/4 front lower control arms

Michael34

lll

Fair enough. Looking back through my receipts and emails, I price matched the arms at about ~$270 each which made it more reasonable. Also, the MOOG or Mevotech option in the below link may be worth considering.

Going through my old thread and comparing on Rock Auto, it seems the bushings are just better. You can find some of the Lemforder bushings below and they specifically say 'Armored Vehicle'. Also, when cross comparing full front lower arms between LR3 and RRS, I do not see any part numbers that match up. Which leads me to believe the bushings are better (or at least different) since we know the physical arms fit between the models.

Generally not a big Rock Auto fan, but they have a rather decent selection across the board for LR3 items.

Rock Auto

Ok thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsrtrvr

I can't speak about LCA quality as I have no real comparison, but I can say that just last week I installed the Lucky8 LCA kit with orange Polybush bushings, and APPARENTLY the hardware you get with that kit is basically garbage. From pictures it appears it is the exact same kit that AB sells.

I wish that was something I had even considered could be a problem because my OEM hardware was perfectly fine(Arizona truck, zero rust). It wasn't until I went to have an alignment done and the tech informed me that the concentric washers were made of soft metal and pretty much sheared when he tried to make adjustments, that I realized there could be a metal quality difference between OEM and aftermarket.

So Unless anybody KNOWS that there is a very high quality aftermarket hardware kit, I'll just be purchasing OEM hardware to replace what came in the Lucky8 kit. The worst part is that like I said, my original hardware was perfectly fine, and I just tossed it, the same morning I had the alignment done. ?

Michael34

I can't speak about LCA quality as I have no real comparison, but I can say that just last week I installed the Lucky8 LCA kit with orange Polybush bushings, and APPARENTLY the hardware you get with that kit is basically garbage. From pictures it appears it is the exact same kit that AB sells.

I wish that was something I had even considered could be a problem because my OEM hardware was perfectly fine(Arizona truck, zero rust). It wasn't until I went to have an alignment done and the tech informed me that the concentric washers were made of soft metal and pretty much sheared when he tried to make adjustments, that I realized there could be a metal quality difference between OEM and aftermarket.

So Unless anybody KNOWS that there is a very high quality aftermarket hardware kit, I'll just be purchasing OEM hardware to replace what came in the Lucky8 kit. The worst part is that like I said, my original hardware was perfectly fine, and I just tossed it, the same morning I had the alignment done.

At least it’s not like the guy who threw out a hard drive with 5000 Bitcoin on it

John R

At least it’s not like the guy who threw out a hard drive with 5000 Bitcoin on it

A guy at work actually did that. Threw out his HD when Bitcoin wasn’t worth much. We worked out that he could have about $30,000,000 and I swear that he nearly cried when we told him what it was worth now.

TOUGE

So Unless anybody KNOWS that there is a very high quality aftermarket hardware kit, I'll just be purchasing OEM hardware to replace what came in the Lucky8 kit. The worst part is that like I said, my original hardware was perfectly fine, and I just tossed it, the same morning I had the alignment done. ?

My wheel alignment shop said the same thing about the AB lower control arm kit bolts after I installed them on my old LR3. They said the bolts were really low quality and the cam size on the adjustment bolt were too small. I emailed AB but never heard back.

Michael34

A guy at work actually did that. Threw out his HD when Bitcoin wasn’t worth much. We worked out that he could have about $30,000,000 and I swear that he nearly cried when we told him what it was worth now.

I think I will cry too hearing that

Michael34

How are there not aftermarket control arms (not just bushings) for the lr3 platform . Like every Toyota has stage 10 kits for 10 different vendors

dsrtrvr

How are there not aftermarket control arms (not just bushings) for the lr3 platform . Like every Toyota has stage 10 kits for 10 different vendors

LR3/LR4 and Land Rover in general are not nearly as popular a vehicle and are also not even seen as an off roading vehicle by nearly as many people.

Some great info in this thread guys. Good to know the aftermarket hardware is ********, I’ll go OEM.

Sounds like the Meyle HD with OEM hardware are the move, with Range Rover Sport being a good option too but at some more cost.

I bet that Superpro bushing kit is nice too.

gatorgrizz27

About to tackle this on mine, ordered a pair of the Meyle control arms thanks to this thread. Still need to pick up some hardware. What else is a good idea to replace while it’s apart and before an alignment is done? Considering tie rod ends at the very least, whether mine show any wear or not.

Tie rod ends, sway bar end links, and maybe upper control arms (if needed)

———————-

I ended up not needing control arms because the truck I was buying, the seller backed out after he liked what the PPI turned up. Thanks for basically stealing $200 from me a**hole.

gatorgrizz27

Tie rod ends, sway bar end links, and maybe upper control arms (if needed)

———————-

I ended up not needing control arms because the truck I was buying, the seller backed out after he liked what the PPI turned up. Thanks for basically stealing $200 from me a**hole.

Crap, totally forgot about them having upper control arms as well lol. Wife’s RR has a Macpherson strut setup with two lower control arms per side only. Shows how reliable the LR3 has been so far, put 30k miles on it and I don’t even know what the suspension looks like...

Last edited:

tejon

same story here -- my tech couldn't complete my alignment as the adjustments wouldn't hold because the front LCA hardware is trash. both are the Lucky8 orange Polybush kit, 3 years old with 35k miles. So the plan now is to get:
  • OEM hardware from miamibritish (seems to be the cheapest, or at least competitively priced)
  • Meyle HD LCAs from fcpeuro (lifetime guarantee on all parts, even consumables like bushings)
orange Polybushings + off-roading = potential failure, so I'll replace both now. i toyed with the idea of just doing hardware and keeping the Meyle LCAs on hand for when the orange polys cause failure, but i'd rather not chance it with the family on the trail. woof.

JackW

Explorer
I've had horrible luck with any kind of polybush in a variety of Land Rovers over the years, from Series trucks to Range Rover Classics, Discoverys and LR3's that I refuse to use them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online