Best quality, design, fit + finish, and warranty support in Pop Up Camper?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Hi Bayou Boy

I'm not a truck expert at all :oops: and I do very much appreciate any guidance.... :)
am I misunderstanding this somehow?

Ford F 150 Payload 2019

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2019

- see page 34 of 35

We would custom order the 3.5 Eco boost
4x4
SuperCrew
156.8 WheelBase
7,850 GVWR model
The Heavy-Duty Payload Package
18" wheels

The Max Payload for that configuration is 2,6203 lbs

(basically bottom right of the chart)

Yes I read that “ Weight of additional options, equipment, passengers and cargo must be deducted from this weight. “ (y)

Yes I know we’d need 10 ply E type tires.

No, we would not carry anything near 2,6203….. but that is the payload for that configuration.

Yes we would need to order that way. We would not ever likely find a F150 with Heavy-Duty Payload Package (etc) on a dealers lot.

Thanks for any tips and info. :)

I looked at that same kind of thing when I ordered my Ram. It came in with 600# less than I thought it would based on the chart. I'd ignore that and find one like you want on the lot somewhere and get a salesperson there to text you a pic of the sticker. I'd hate to get that truck in and realize you should have bought a 250.

You should be looking at a 250 anyway to carry a camper. Even a popup. The only guys that think half tons are wonderful with a popup in the bed are people that haven't carried one with an HD truck.

LosAngeles

I looked at that same kind of thing when I ordered my Ram. It came in with 600# less than I thought it would based on the chart. I'd ignore that and find one like you want on the lot somewhere and get a salesperson there to text you a pic of the sticker. I'd hate to get that truck in and realize you should have bought a 250.

You should be looking at a 250 anyway to carry a camper. Even a popup. The only guys that think half tons are wonderful with a popup in the bed are people that haven't carried one with an HD truck.

Right - but as I mentioned - We would not ever likely find a F150 with Heavy-Duty Payload Package (etc) on a dealers lot.

And we want to custom order regardless.

And

Perhaps the options on your truck weighed 600 lbs? Just a wild guess. As it does not include options on the truck.

And i will consider the F250. Thanks. :)

Happyjax

Sometimes when they report payload figures they assume a 150lb person in eash seat which steals the 600lbs. It can be very confusing.
I second the Bundutec. Talking with them now. Nice folks, nice camper:)

smlobx

Wanderer
?..........

That last sentence is perhaps the most important statement on the whole internet!

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Sometimes when they report payload figures they assume a 150lb person in eash seat which steals the 600lbs. It can be very confusing.
I second the Bundutec. Talking with them now. Nice folks, nice camper:)

Neither of those were the case. The yellow sticker is after they actually weigh the truck. The figures in brochure are calculated.

smlobx

Wanderer
Hi Bayou Boy

I'm not a truck expert at all :oops: and I do very much appreciate any guidance.... :)
am I misunderstanding this somehow?

Ford F 150 Payload 2019

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2019

- see page 34 of 35

We would custom order the 3.5 Eco boost
4x4
SuperCrew
156.8 WheelBase
7,850 GVWR model
The Heavy-Duty Payload Package
18" wheels

The Max Payload for that configuration is 2,6203 lbs

You didn't say what trim level you were interested in. I will bet that that rating is only available with the base trim (XL). Some like the spartan interior and some don't...

(basically bottom right of the chart)

Yes I read that “ Weight of additional options, equipment, passengers and cargo must be deducted from this weight. “ (y)

Yes I know we’d need 10 ply E type tires.

No, we would not carry anything near 2,6203….. but that is the payload for that configuration.

Yes we would need to order that way. We would not ever likely find a F150 with Heavy-Duty Payload Package (etc) on a dealers lot.

Thanks for any tips and info. :)

You didn't say what trim level you were interested in. I will bet that the rating you quoted is only available with the base trim level (XL). Some people like the spartan interior, some don't....

craig333

Expedition Leader
New camper, failure to check the tie downs. My guess. Rough road where you must keep your eyes on the road.

Bucky

Observer
Based upon my vast knowledge, wisdom and experience :p and 14 years owning a FWC Hawk, I recommend Four Wheel Campers built in California. I have had great after-sale support whenever I needed it. Email and telephone inquiries are always answered in a timely manner. The people at FWC are friendly and helpful.

Recently, Aaron at FWC recommended an inexpensive lift assist gizmo from Amazon.com to ease the load on my 71-year-old gimpy neck (early 70s car wreck) and shoulder (rotator cuff injury) when raising the top (until recently when the front and rear exterior lift struts became standard, only a single pair of interior struts was offered):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CD3QYW/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(Treat this like the hand tool it is. There is a video on youtube showing the lift being raised with a portable drill. I tried this and the imperfectly aligned drill chuck must've torqued the inner tube, requiring disassembly, troubleshooting, and reassembly; a real PITA!)

I could probably get into almost any truck camper model out there, but for the quality, value, customer service and versatility I would still buy a FWC Hawk or, maybe, a Grandby. Just sayin'.

Good luck. And Merry Christmas!

Bucky

Durango

Adventurer
Lots of good opinions here.

1. Way back in 2012 I visited Rob and Cari up in Denver and was all set to order when the famous Taco thread appeared. I (and probably a lot of other buyers) bailed. I think they are decent people but the consistency and professionalism doesn't seem to be there. (for those who feel otherwise go for it.)

2. I have always wanted to go with ATC but the few times I've called Jeff or Marty they just seem very curt and disinterested. (Maybe it is just me as others love ATC.)

3. XP camper has a great reputation with ingenious design but since I'm an inveterate remodeler the fiberglass construction doesn't work for me. And it IS very heavy and expensive.

4. I flirted with Bundetec last year and was impressed with their service and pricing. But the all wood design worried me and (how can I say this?) they just seemed ugly and top heavy. (Yes, I know this shouldn't matter...)

5. One option I haven't seen mentioned here is Alaskan. Yes, they are all wood but do have 40 plus years to iron out the wrinkles. They will do some custom work and if Alskan had offered a side entry flatbed last spring I would have seriously considered them. So what did I finally buy?

My third FWC in five years! A Grandby Flatbed mounted on a custom flatbed on a regular cab Ram 3500 chassis cab with a 6.4 Hemi and a 4.30 rear end. Like many, I get frustrated with FWC at times. But FWC stuff is bombproof and easily modified plus Denny Saunders up at Jackson Hole Four Wheel Campers gives stellar customer service.

And as many say the best camper is the one you use! Best wishes!
Bolam Pass rear quarter.jpgBolam Pass rear quarter.jpg20180820_150415.jpg20180820_150415.jpg20180801_071315.jpg20180801_071315.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles