Best practices for removing trans pan Gen 2-2.5 Montero?

bikerjosh

Explorer
Removed all the bolts including theb3 hidden by the cross member and yoke. Not a whole lot of area(s) where you can get a putty knife between the pan and trans to split the two. Tried tapping on the pan all around with a dead blow mallet but didn't do anything. Not sure if I should just put a 2x4 along the pan and go to town to try and free it up?
thanks

nwoods

Expedition Leader
THere's actually two bolt holes towards the rear that you thread bolts in, and it will spread apart the laminated upper and lower drain pans. There is a good write up on this somewhere else....I have found it online several times while searching something else.

Edit: Found it: Post #6: https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/m...2002-montero-sport-3-5l-engine-removal-48920/
3697d1450090935-2002-montero-sport-3-5l-engine-removal-upper-oil-pan-jack-bolt-installed.jpg

bikerjosh

Explorer

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Yeah probably. I’ve not ever removed either one, and I’m excellent at mechanically destroying anything I touch, so take my comments with a huge grain of salt.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Removed all the bolts including theb3 hidden by the cross member and yoke. Not a whole lot of area(s) where you can get a putty knife between the pan and trans to split the two. Tried tapping on the pan all around with a dead blow mallet but didn't do anything. Not sure if I should just put a 2x4 along the pan and go to town to try and free it up?
thanks

Did you support the transmission and remove the crossmember? The whole process isn't too bad if you remove it first, did mine in about hour and a half my first time.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Make sure you remove the dipstick tube as well. I use a really small flat head and try to split it at the corners. I just did this a few times in the last couple weeks. First time removal can be a little harder. Also, as J-N-M said, remove the cross member, makes that job way easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles