best pop-up truck camper for offroad exploring

rrliljedahl

Observer
My wife and I have are retiring in Jan of 2014.

We presently own a Jeep Rubicon tricked out as a camper to include rooftop popup tent, 12 volt refrigerator/freezer, 10 gallons of water by gravity feed, and a 2 burner propane stove. Our interests are vacationed in the western US hiking, fishing, and looking for rock art.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
We are looking to buy a popup truck camper for a flatbed so that we can continue travel in more inclement weather and with a greater degree of comfort.

We have stopped at Alaskan Camper factory but left thinking that we should widen our search.

Our present plan is for:
Popup
passenger side entry
dinette in the rear of the camper
flatbed for extra storage
200-300 watts of solar on the roof
12 volt compressor refrigerator/freezer
cassette toilet
indoor/outdoor shower
North/South sleeping

Outfitter, Four Wheel, NorthStar, and XP Campers have all agreed that they could build me such a camper.

I am asking for your opinions as to which pop-up truck camper manufacturer could best withstand the demands of offroad exploring?

The truck for this build has not yet been purchased so I am quite flexible as to your recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

Ron Liljedahl

Last edited:

boblynch

Adventurer
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the upcoming retirement. You might want to add Hallmark to your list for consideration (http://www.hallmarkrv.com/). Not sure if they build flatbed specific custom units, but they offer a quality product that matches up well with others on your list.

Our current rig is also a flatbed (a larger hard sided camper). I'm in NC as well. Feel free to PM me anytime. Good luck with the project.

rrliljedahl

Observer
Four Wheel will build a flatbed pop-up with passenger sign entry and rear dinette for a Fleet, Hawk, and Grandy. My issues are they limit the fresh water supply to 20 gallons maximum regardless of the size of the camper and I am told the floor must be supported if you are going to walk on it with the camper off of the truck.

Vzfit

Observer
Try out Phoenix Campers from Coyote RV. I have one and love it. They custom build all of their campers to suit your needs. Phoenixpopup.com

Keyne

Adventurer
How much do you what to spend? Money no object I would go XP or if really no object then why a truck camper? The reason I ask is if you plan to drop the camper as a base camp, as some replies have mentioned, there are limitations or things to consider. For instance, FWC needs support under the floor, and the info I received from XP Camper is they are not designed for use as a base camp off the truck but more for storing the camper for storage.

Last edited:

rrliljedahl

Observer
Keyne

Your comment of "the info I received from XP Camper is they are not designed for use as a base camp off the truck but more for storing the camper for storage" I find most interesting. I will have to confirm this.

Thanks.

Ron

Overland Hadley

on a journey
From my research, I would recommend XP Camper or Four Wheel Camper. They are at different price points, so what works best for you depends on how much money you want to spend.

I think most of the "off road" truck campers would be best not to be used with the bottom unsupported.

Keyne

Adventurer
Keyne

Your comment of "the info I received from XP Camper is they are not designed for use as a base camp off the truck but more for storing the camper for storage" I find most interesting. I will have to confirm this.

Thanks.

Ron

I was surprised that the XP Campers are not designed to be used for off the truck use other than storing the camper in your garage, etc. so you can use the truck for hauling. Check out the XP Camper Forum link below where I posed the question to Marc. Also, its a good overall forum for the XP Camper and Marc is really good at replying to questions.

I really thought the XP camper was the best all around setup vs. an Earthroamer, GXV, Earthcruiser, etc.; kind of best of both worlds being able to have a high end build but able to use the camper off the truck. I haven't been to their factory or toured a unit... yet... however I liked what I have seen on their installation and the use of diesel appliances. In my opinion, one of the best things about a truck camper is the ability to remove the camper and use it as a base camp. For instance, in a first come first serve camp ground, a camp ground where the wife wants to sleep in and you want to go hiking, or if you just want to use the truck to go shopping... I think it would be great to leave the camper behind. For long term exploring (e.g. months) or when you don't need the truck as a daily driver... not being able to drop the camper as a base camp would lean me more toward other options (Earthroamer, GXV, Earthcruiser, etc.) instead of a truck camper.

Link to question on forum.

http://forum.xpcamper.org/index.php/topic/49-removable-for-base-camp-setup/

brian90744

American Trekker
check out web site

Ron.
Check out Northstar site Video gallery, they show 13 employees inside a small TC650 off the truck on jacks 1 foot off ground around 1900 lbs. They make a nice flat-bed unit and their service is very good.
Just FYI=brian

Last edited:

rrliljedahl

Observer
I emailed xp camper and confirmed that the XP camper is not designed to be used off the truck as a base camp. He recommended removing the water and supporting the base if on jacks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles