best pop-up truck camper for offroad exploring

Runt

Adventurer
I had a Phoenix camper built for my needs and could not have been happier. Service was great and quality of the camper was even better plus picking all your features is really important. My camper was for work in cold weather and hard use so I needed simple and reliable. Four Wheel Campers was not as accommodating as you can only alter a few features and quite similar to Phoenix Campers i.e. alum frame , pop up etc. etc. XP Camper I looked into as well but for the cost you can buy a two of any of the others. Have to admit though that they sure seem worth it....so nice!

brian90744

American Trekker
I think you dream is another forum=General and Administration
Fireside Chat
Spotted:Expedition Vehicles item #2712.

My wife and I have are retiring in Jan of 2014.

We presently own a Jeep Rubicon tricked out as a camper to include rooftop popup tent, 12 volt refrigerator/freezer, 10 gallons of water by gravity feed, and a 2 burner propane stove. Our interests are vacationed in the western US hiking, fishing, and looking for rock art.

We are looking to buy a popup truck camper for a flatbed so that we can continue travel in more inclement weather and with a greater degree of comfort.

We have stopped at Alaskan Camper factory but left thinking that we should widen our search.

Our present plan is for:
Popup
passenger side entry
dinette in the rear of the camper
flatbed for extra storage
200-300 watts of solar on the roof
12 volt compressor refrigerator/freezer
cassette toilet
indoor/outdoor shower
North/South sleeping

Outfitter, Four Wheel, NorthStar, and XP Campers have all agreed that they could build me such a camper.

I am asking for your opinions as to which pop-up truck camper manufacturer could best withstand the demands of offroad exploring?

The truck for this build has not yet been purchased so I am quite flexible as to your recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

Ron Liljedahl

escadventure

Adventurer
Comment and question...

My wife and I have been using a Yota FJ Cruiser with a high quality RTT and awning for the past two years here in Europe. EVERY time we go camping it rains or snows. A bit of a pain in the ***. We've concluded the same as many of you- the best compromise space efficiency, size and ease of use is a truck with drop in camper. We've begun the process and hope to be done by next spring.

Question- if it is so easy to move the setup, ie lower the roof and start the engine, why bother with dismounting the camper to drive the truck away to run errands? The issue being the structural limitations of that feature really rule out some otherwise great camper options.

Clutch

<---Pass
Comment and question...

My wife and I have been using a Yota FJ Cruiser with a high quality RTT and awning for the past two years here in Europe. EVERY time we go camping it rains or snows. A bit of a pain in the ***. We've concluded the same as many of you- the best compromise space efficiency, size and ease of use is a truck with drop in camper. We've begun the process and hope to be done by next spring.

Question- if it is so easy to move the setup, ie lower the roof and start the engine, why bother with dismounting the camper to drive the truck away to run errands? The issue being the structural limitations of that feature really rule out some otherwise great camper options.

You could do both. Pull an off road camper, and use it as a base camper. Then have a SUV or truck with a topper/RTT, or Flip Pac to go exploring or getting into tighter spots where you wouldn't want to pull a trailer. Can haul more gear, plus it is a little easier to drive a shorter wheel base vehicle and trailer off road...than one looong vehicle.

Heck of a lot easier to unhitch a trailer, than fussing with a truck camper.

header_img490.jpg

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
From the replies I've seen its people who want to split up the group, leave a wife or kids in camp and then head out somewhere. I also had a hard time understanding the issue until it was explained to me.

Clutch

<---Pass
From the replies I've seen its people who want to split up the group, leave a wife or kids in camp and then head out somewhere. I also had a hard time understanding the issue until it was explained to me.

We do more base camping, then go out exploring...than drive all day stop, setup camp...get up, break down camp drive...and so forth.

Motorcycles are a great addition to base camping. ATV's and SideXSides work great too...

craig333

Expedition Leader
I do the same when i tow my Jeep. Its more about going places the truck can't go, the camper has little to do with it. Actually I have yet to find a spot the truck could have made without the camper.

escadventure

Adventurer
I too like the idea of a jeep or motorcycle. In an effort to keep things simple, light and less spacious, we use bicycles. So far we haven't needed anything else.

bob91yj

Resident **************
We do more base camping, then go out exploring...than drive all day stop, setup camp...get up, break down camp drive...and so forth.

Motorcycles are a great addition to base camping. ATV's and SideXSides work great too...

The truck/camper has opened up so many more options for us. I'm also fortunate enough to own a Jeep, a Honda Trail 90, and a 24' trailer. I have options for any scenario.

As far as the original question, I'd guess that my truck/camper has seen more than average abuse over the 3 years or so that I've owned it. It has held up exceptionally well IMO, despite the interweb warnings that it would be toothpicks if I even pulled into a dirt parking lot with it due to its wood frame construction. My answer to which one is best is this...it's the one that meets your needs/budget and will allow you to go somewhere and use it.

Biggest mistake (and improvement) I made was putting a roof air on the roof rather than putting a window unit in the back window. I fuly expect to find the roof air laying in the floor and a new skylight in my roof after every rough road, to date it has taken the abuse. Roof air is powered by a Honda 2kw generator, giving us true 4 season use for our area (SoCal). My excuse for needing the ac unit was for my dogs and grandkids...it works just as well when neither are with us, heheh!

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
We presently own a Jeep Rubicon tricked out as a camper to include rooftop popup tent, 12 volt refrigerator/freezer, 10 gallons of water by gravity feed, and a 2 burner propane stove. Our interests are vacationed in the western US hiking, fishing, and looking for rock art.

We are looking to buy a popup truck camper for a flatbed so that we can continue travel in more inclement weather and with a greater degree of comfort.

What generation Jeep?

If it's the '97-06 variety - there's a conversion kit by AEV to make it into a pick-up. It's almost half the cost if you were to do it without the bed unit - and then build your camper module on it.

1167671_10151581772512647_1017965026_o.jpg

I'm in the middle of building one with the bed and a roof top tent on a rack... but in the future if we ever out-grow that I will pull the bed and make a camper box unit on the back.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Everyhthing I could possibly need, Jeep is stuffed in the trailer, along with tools/parts/and every comfort/convenience item I own. Futon couch and the biggest fold up Coleman camp kitchen they make among other amenities.
silverton2011002.jpg

Loaded for a week of roaming around Baja. All the comforts of tent camping packed in the Jeep.
2011bajaextravaganza009.jpg

Truck and flat tow the Jeep.
189122_1775156870509_1586948477_1693589_2990279_n.jpg

The Honda 90 is new to me, going to use a front hitch mount to carry it on the truck, hopefully the same arrangement will work on the rear hitch of the
Jeep.

Just the truck, loaded for Baja 1000 chase duties.
baja10002012169.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I too like the idea of a jeep or motorcycle. In an effort to keep things simple, light and less spacious, we use bicycles. So far we haven't needed anything else.

We take the bicycles too, all depends what you want to do, and are willing to deal with. I have thought of adding Kayaks to the mix as well...then goes down the road of, how much stuff do you want to bring and fuss with? Would renting boats be better than hauling them around?

My setup was super basic. 4WD truck, Wildernest popup camper, and a 5X8 trailer for dirt bikes. Super easy to get down the highway, and easy to drive down rough roads for the most part. Could drag the whole setup to some off the beaten path places.

I need to fab up some trailing arms for the trailer so it tracks better down wash board roads. Other than that I am pretty happy with it.

The truck/camper has opened up so many more options for us. I'm also fortunate enough to own a Jeep, a Honda Trail 90, and a 24' trailer. I have options for any scenario.

I am always looking for the "perfect setup" yours is pretty close. ;)

Though what I have works great, most of our trips are based around the dirt bikes...and to be honest, I much rather go down a dirt road on the bike than in the truck. We went out today in the truck, where we went last week on the bikes...we covered 1/16th of the terrain and took 5 times as long in the truck than on the bikes. Ha ha! man does corrugations beat the heck out of you in cage!

I keep on wanting to go bigger with our setup, the girlfriend always reins me in...(keep it simple stupid)

I do the same when i tow my Jeep. Its more about going places the truck can't go, the camper has little to do with it. Actually I have yet to find a spot the truck could have made without the camper.

I like it all, anything from blasting up the highway in the tow vehicle, to 4Wheeling, then dirt bikes, mountain bikes, kayaking, snowboarding, hiking, etc...usually the harder/tighter the terrain the less equipment is around/on me. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz