Best Platform

Alloy

Yes. I'll take a picture in the up position this weekend. I'm out of town.

I had to give the dealer a deposit and he initially asked for a credit check before he saw my work ID because he would have a hard time selling a Lariat with vinyl floor and split bench. I have no need for a bunch of center console storage. I prefer the flexibility and extra legroom in a split bench.
When I orderd our F350 I wanted to delete the carpet but the sales guy said keep the carpet otherwise people looking to buy it will think it's a work truck. It's been 5 years and I'd go with carpet again.

eyemgh

When I orderd our F350 I wanted to delete the carpet but the sales guy said keep the carpet otherwise people looking to buy it will think it's a work truck. It's been 5 years and I'd go with carpet again.

After owning an Element, I wondered why ANY car has carpet. I jumped at the chance to delete it.

eyemgh

Now, one more potential switcharoo.

Has anyone seen the Liquid Spring Suspension? They are going to offer a F350 srw model early next year. It's spendy, but has some REALLY cool features. It autolevels, so the conflict of bags versus XHD springs is gone. Plus, it levels when parked. :oops: It's complicated and expensive, but they essentially own the ambulance market now due to the safety factor.

billiebob

After owning an Element, I wondered why ANY car has carpet. I jumped at the chance to delete it.
Absolutely, I agree.
Only my old YJ had carpeting I liked.
5 or 6 pieces, they all pulled out at the car wash and you cleaned them like floor mats and hung them over the spare tire to dry.
They were indestructible too. All my TJs wore out below my feet. The YJ with 300K miles on it the carpets still looked new.

But yes I love leather with vinyl mats.
Vinyl music too.

Snydmax

No doubt that it has positives. Like all things, it's a matter of whether the positives outweigh the negatives or not. Cleaning trumps noise reduction in my book. Others may disagree.

This is why we cover almost all the carpet in fancy floor mats! Full disclosure, I’ve never ordered a new vehicle so really haven’t had the chance to go without carpet... sand would be my primary reason for considering this... nature’s glitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyemgh

Well, necromancing my own thread!

Truck shipped.

Ordered 17" Method 701s and 35 12.5r17 Toyo Open Country A/T IIIs.

Still deciding on suspension.

The biggest switch now is that we went with a Bowen Customs "flatbed." I put it in quotes because it won't be flat. The bed replacement will sit at standard bed height in the middle, but the sides will ride at flatbed height. It's hard to explain, but Brent will have his first version of "my" bed coming out shortly. It's so different and innovative, that I'll be surprised if it doesn't make the overlanding news.

rruff

Explorer
The biggest switch now is that we went with a Bowen Customs "flatbed." I put it in quotes because it won't be flat. The bed replacement will sit at standard bed height in the middle, but the sides will ride at flatbed height. It's hard to explain, but Brent will have his first version of "my" bed coming out shortly. It's so different and innovative, that I'll be surprised if it doesn't make the overlanding news.

You aren't the first person who's done that... built a custom bed that will accept a normal camper and allow for big side boxes. Cool idea anyway. (y)

eyemgh

You aren't the first person who's done that... built a custom bed that will accept a normal camper and allow for big side boxes. Cool idea anyway. (y)

It has actually been done quite a bit, but not like this, at least that I’ve ever seen. I’ve looked at a LOT of deck/box combos.

A flatbed deck sits 5” higher than a standard bed to allow for rear wheel articulation. That raises the camper 5” higher than it would be in a standard truck bed. Highway Products does it this way and fills in the gaps under the sides of a slide in with upper boxes.

Sherptek takes this a step further by offering a low, standard bed height, completely flat deck. They notch out for the rear wheels and build wells that go up inside the upper boxes to allow for articulation.

The Bowen deck takes this yet a step further. It won’t be flat. The middle will be at standard bed height, but the sides of the bed will be 5 or so inches higher. That way the slide in camper will ride at standard height, but the wheels will fully articulate without having to intrude into the upper boxes.

It’s a new concept as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior