Best Platform

eyemgh

That makes sense. Those are some of the same reasons I went with a short bed. Maybe the low mpg was because the truck had less than 10 miles on it and it was breaking in. That said, the 7.3 seems to be thirsty in city traffic. It is still very new to me.

I think the perfect world would be a 6.5’ bed, with a Sherptek deck that will accommodate an 8 foot camper. I think the balance would work, because even Alaskan runs campers handing out with the bed down. I’m meeting Monday at the shop to find out.

Porkchopexpress

10 miles isn't enough to gauge mpgs. Mine does that after every fill up if I'm in town. I usually end up around 11 in the city. Best I've seen on the highway was 14.7 but I have the 6 speed with the 6.2. I think GM and Ram do better on mpgs.
I agree that I don't have enough mileage to give reliable numbers but you misunderstand my reference to 10 miles. That was the mileage on the truck when I started counting mpg so it was not broken in at all. I imagine I will see something close to 11 as it does break in.

eyemgh

Great meeting with Rebecca, Stephan and Ryan today. Now I'm convinced that I'd go F250, no Tremor and have them add Kings on all wheels along with bags that are adjustable on the fly. Expensive, but unique and cool system.

eyemgh

I am SO conflicted!!!

I know the limitations of the Raven/Silverado combo, but it’s paid for.

If I build something new, I’ll put it on the F250 with a well apportioned Sherptek. Before even adding a camper, I’ll be into it for $80-$90k depending on what trim I “can’t live without” and what deal I could ink on the truck. Then there’s the camper.

I like the familiarity of FWC, but I want a cassette and can only get it in a front dinette. We want a side. Plus, the older I get, the less I like pushing the top up. A Grandby would be even heavier.
Hallmark is intriguing, certainly more plush, but heavier, more complex, and service is a long way away.

Scout is cool, but it’s a hard side with a single, tiny roof vent. I worry about it being hot and less agile. It is relatively light for a hard side though.

Any thoughts or others to consider? Thanks!

tacollie

Glamper
I am SO conflicted!!!

I know the limitations of the Raven/Silverado combo, but it’s paid for.

If I build something new, I’ll put it on the F250 with a well apportioned Sherptek. Before even adding a camper, I’ll be into it for $80-$90k depending on what trim I “can’t live without” and what deal I could ink on the truck. Then there’s the camper.

I like the familiarity of FWC, but I want a cassette and can only get it in a front dinette. We want a side. Plus, the older I get, the less I like pushing the top up. A Grandby would be even heavier.
Hallmark is intriguing, certainly more plush, but heavier, more complex, and service is a long way away.

Scout is cool, but it’s a hard side with a single, tiny roof vent. I worry about it being hot and less agile. It is relatively light for a hard side though.

Any thoughts or others to consider? Thanks!
Run what you have for a couple more years. Maybe by then you'll be ready for the hard side and the truck market will cool down and save you some money. It'll give you chance to actually step inside of other campers to help you with your purchase paralysis.

Or buy a used combo and throw the Sherptek on it.?

eyemgh

Run what you have for a couple more years. Maybe by then you'll be ready for the hard side and the truck market will cool down and save you some money. It'll give you chance to actually step inside of other campers to help you with your purchase paralysis.

Or buy a used combo and throw the Sherptek on it.?

This all started by just wanting a Sherptek on my current rig. That's how I figured out I was overweight. For some things, if I order now, I won't get them for 2 years (Alaska for example). ?

Porkchopexpress

For some things, if I order now, I won't get them for 2 years (Alaska for example). ?
This has been a common theme I have seen. Ford Super Duties and Broncos for example are selling at up to 15K over MSRP off the dealer floor but if you are willing to wait for a factory order you can get MSRP minus any discounts you are eligible for. Hopefully that is a sign that much of the inflation we are seeing will settle back down.

GeorgeHayduke

Scout is cool, but it’s a hard side with a single, tiny roof vent. I worry about it being hot and less agile.
Have you considered a Scout without the rooftop tent? They put a large hatch where the access to the normal RTT would go so you'd dramatically improve the airflow and also help your CoG/agility without all that weight up high.

eyemgh

Have you considered a Scout without the rooftop tent? They put a large hatch where the access to the normal RTT would go so you'd dramatically improve the airflow and also help your CoG/agility without all that weight up high.

That’s absolutely how we’d configure it. ??

eyemgh

It is a slide-in

That goes edge to edge on the flat bed. I'm interested in something that slides into a standard bed, with lower cutouts to fill in with boxes above and below the deck. The Hallmark on the Sherptek site linked below is a good illustration (also the personal rig of one of the Hallmark owners).

Alloy

Check your local registration costs. In some states, (Wisconsin), it becomes more costly over #10,000 GVWR whereas in others (California) it is #11,500 GVWR and up where the registration becomes much more costly. I would go F-350 all day if you can. The only differences are a slightly stronger transmission, suspension changes like a larger leaf pack in the rear and a diffferent coil spring up front, and possibly a different rear axle depending on how its spec'd. You're really getting the GVWR rating, which is more of an "on paper" upgrade.

Regarding the axle ratio, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. I had a 2020 7.3l F-350 with 3.73 gears. It had the #11,400 GVWR option from Ford and had 4,295 lbs of payload. I wanted 4.30s but most dealers do not equip them that way. Unless you plan to run a 37"+ tire, I don't think the 3.55 or 3.73 should be overlooked especially if that's what is available on the lot. Plenty of guys are towing 12-15k travel trailers with the smaller ratios and have no complaints on power - just thirsty as you'd expect. I think this is mostly a result of the 10-speed having quite a few options to find the power band. Regarding the fuel mileage hit, tests have resulted in approximately -1mpg loss from a 3.55 truck to a 4.30 truck. So if you're ordering it, go 4.30 but if you're buying on the lot, 3.55 or 3.73 will likely be fine.

Regarding suspension, my truck had the camper and snow plow prep packages - the stiffest spring rates from Ford both front and rear and you could definitely tell. With a camper in there, it would likely ride much better but unloaded, my truck was rough at times. To combat that in the rear, I planned on doing an Atlas or Deaver spring pack upgrade. there are also cheaper options like Sulastic shackles. In the front, I planned on the Carli coil springs with a 2.5" lift coupled with some shocks from Bilstein or Fox. This would improve the ride and allow for a 37" tire. at that point, I think this platform is a great starting point.

I really liked my 7.3L truck, and only sold it due to the crazy Covid marketplace. I am planning on placing a 2023 or 2024 order for another one. My opinion is it's the best all-around platform out there right now.

The 3.55-3.73 gearing will pull 15k trailers up hill but around here (BC Canada) overheating the trailer brakes going down hill is an issue.

I took F350/F450/F550 all DRW for test rides on Monday. Weight ratings of the F350 is better but the turning radius of the F450 can't be beat.

GVWR of the F550 is great but the ride is harsh. Without changes to the supension I wouln't want drop the camper somewhere and drive it off road for miles.

eyemgh

The 3.55-3.73 gearing will pull 15k trailers up hill but around here (BC Canada) overheating the trailer brakes going down hill is an issue.

I took F350/F450/F550 all DRW for test rides on Monday. Weight ratings of the F350 is better but the turning radius of the F450 can't be beat.

GVWR of the F550 is great but the ride is harsh. Without changes to the supension I wouln't want drop the camper somewhere and drive it off road for miles.

I'm wrestling with that right now. The "off road" mods from the factory are probably worse for dropping a camper on. Ryan at Sherptek suggested a F250 with the 10K GVWR rating, Kings on all 4 corners and on the fly adjustable bags. I'm sure it's the cat's meow. It's roughly a $7k mod though. We won't be trailering.

eyemgh

Every time I think I have this figured out, I read a little more and the water gets muddy again.

I’ve settled on a truck, Super Duty 350 Super Cab, 8’ bed, 7.3, 4.30. What I’m struggling with is suspension modifications.

We travel alone, so we don’t tend to do much technical stuff. The last mile up to Big Four Mine across from the dunes in Panamint or is about the edge of where we feel comfortable in a camper. We do drive a lot of wash boarded forest road and places like the Race Track in DVNP. We also drive quite a bit in the winter.

The camper we are going to get (Hallmark K2) isn‘t a behemoth like an Eagle Cap, but it’ll weight in the neighborhood of 2200 pounds fully wet. We don’t need rock crawling crazy stuff, but more than anything want it to be safe both on and off road, and eat wash board.

The current camper has never been off the truck. We don’t even own jacks. We are retiring soon though, so the option to bring jacks and unload it will be important.

So, how much to lift? My gut says 2.5 with 35s. Spring pack or bags? My gut says I have no clue. I‘m staying away from anything like Tremor because it isn’t designed to be loaded. Plus, it’s not even available in the configuration we want. Any mods we do will be done at a very experienced specialty shop like CJC and not a random tire shop.

Getting close to having this thing dialed. Thanks for any and all input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94