Best Platform

Wyo

Observer
That's very cool. Several issues though. Most importantly, no skill and no time. :p The more salient point is that we'd still do a slide in. We want the fold down flanks and hip pockets for external storage.

What camper is another question. We like our FWC, but there's a lot to like about Hallmark. What's not to like is that they don't have a dealer network and we aren't super savvy with electrical stuff. Alaskans are neat, but heavy, and a little old school in the décor for our style. Scout is also nice. Still looking at other options, including Bundutec. Again though, no dealer support.

Check out my Capri Flatbed camper. I have it listed for $20k

1000arms

That's very cool. Several issues though. Most importantly, no skill and no time. :p The more salient point is that we'd still do a slide in. We want the fold down flanks and hip pockets for external storage.

What camper is another question. We like our FWC, but there's a lot to like about Hallmark. What's not to like is that they don't have a dealer network and we aren't super savvy with electrical stuff. Alaskans are neat, but heavy, and a little old school in the décor for our style. Scout is also nice. Still looking at other options, including Bundutec. Again though, no dealer support.

You might want to look at:

eyemgh

You might want to look at:

That, but not on a Tundra, is essentially what I’ve been considering. The lack of a dealer even remotely close concerns me a bit. We know a couple with a pretty new Hallmark that leaked and had electrical issues. Traveling 1300 miles to address it has me a little tepid.

1000arms

That, but not on a Tundra, is essentially what I’ve been considering. The lack of a dealer even remotely close concerns me a bit. We know a couple with a pretty new Hallmark that leaked and had electrical issues. Traveling 1300 miles to address it has me a little tepid.

There is something to be said for minimizing moving parts and having a way to easily fix anything that goes wrong.

I have driven over 1,100 miles in a day, but, driving 1,300 miles to get something fixed just doesn't count as easy. :cool:

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
My step dad had a Hallmark. It was constantly at the factory for issues with the lifting mechanism. Besides that it was solid. The only other pop-up that I like it the Overland Explorer. They seem to be really dialed but that should be since they are more money. They claim to be a true 4 season pop-up. We have spent a lot of single digit nights in the FWC and have been happy with a pop-up. At this point we have zero interest in a hard side.

eyemgh

My step dad had a Hallmark. It was constantly at the factory for issues with the lifting mechanism. Besides that it was solid. The only other pop-up that I like it the Overland Explorer. They seem to be really dialed but that should be since they are more money. They claim to be a true 4 season pop-up. We have spent a lot of single digit nights in the FWC and have been happy with a pop-up. At this point we have zero interest in a hard side.

Does he have the fully electric lift, or the one that lifts with the drill?

We like our FWC too and haven't ruled a larger one out. As you know it's a battle between more features and comfort vs. ruggedness and reliability. We're both approaching 60 and pushing the top up and pulling it down, especially in the winter will grow to be a bigger pain than it is now. I also absolutely want a cassette toilet. I don't like the front dinette configuration of the FWC, but that's the only way to get a cassette. Off to look at Overland Explorer! ;)

EDIT: Overland Explorer is pretty nice! Probably the most robust looking build I've seen. The Truma and electronics are great specs. That said, no cassette toilet, which is a bummer. We have a Thetford Porta Potty and it works, but a true cassette would be preferred.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
Does he have the fully electric lift, or the one that lifts with the drill?

We like our FWC too and haven't ruled a larger one out. As you know it's a battle between more features and comfort vs. ruggedness and reliability. We're both approaching 60 and pushing the top up and pulling it down, especially in the winter will grow to be a bigger pain than it is now. I also absolutely want a cassette toilet. I don't like the front dinette configuration of the FWC, but that's the only way to get a cassette. Off to look at Overland Explorer! ;)

EDIT: Overland Explorer is pretty nice! Probably the most robust looking build I've seen. The Truma and electronics are great specs. That said, no cassette toilet, which is a bummer. We have a Thetford Porta Potty and it works, but a true cassette would be preferred.
His was the electric lift.

We like the the Overland Explorer but FWC is cheaper and we already own one?. I could see the manual lifting roof getting old.

eyemgh

His was the electric lift.

We like the the Overland Explorer but FWC is cheaper and we already own one?. I could see the manual lifting roof getting old.

As you can see in our avitar, we do too. I go back and forth between the dream rig and “what the heck am I doing?” Visiting Sherptek Monday. ?

Porkchopexpress

I was basically making the same decision and went with SRW F350 with 7.3 and 3.73 locking diff, (FX4). I'm glad I went with 3.73 because of the recall on the 4.30 with no fix for gas engine trucks. Now that they have supposedly corrected the thin axle tube issue, I would probably go 4.30 on a 2022 just to get the Dana axle.

You mentioned that you intend to daily drive the truck. Depending on your commute and where you live, that might be a hassle. It's definitely less practical than a half ton in that regard. My engine isn't broken in yet but I saw 8 mpg city unloaded and 14 to 15 highway during my brief ownership so far.

If I wanted to daily drive the truck, I would consider waiting for the new Tundra and getting a camper trailer instead. However, I definitely understand the appeal of a slide in as I have one on order.

Porkchopexpress

When the axle recall came out, I did a bit of reading on the 3.73 and 4.30
The 4.30 is a Dana M275 and the 3.73 is a Sterling 10.5. The Dana is more robust, (excluding the recalled ones) and heavier. The Sterling is an older design but has been used on the last generation Super Duties including the diesels with no problem so it should hold up well under the 7.3.

eyemgh

I was basically making the same decision and went with SRW F350 with 7.3 and 3.73 locking diff, (FX4). I'm glad I went with 3.73 because of the recall on the 4.30 with no fix for gas engine trucks. Now that they have supposedly corrected the thin axle tube issue, I would probably go 4.30 on a 2022 just to get the Dana axle.

You mentioned that you intend to daily drive the truck. Depending on your commute and where you live, that might be a hassle. It's definitely less practical than a half ton in that regard. My engine isn't broken in yet but I saw 8 mpg city unloaded and 14 to 15 highway during my brief ownership so far.

If I wanted to daily drive the truck, I would consider waiting for the new Tundra and getting a camper trailer instead. However, I definitely understand the appeal of a slide in as I have one on order.

When I say “daily driver,” I really mean that figuratively. We don’t drive anything daily. We can walk to work. Most of our regional driving is in a Bolt. I just want to take it skiing several times a week and don’t want to have to seek special parking if we have to use it for groceries. That said, 8 mpg is sobering! Our 5.3 Chevy averages 15 in all conditions. It’s just too easy to overload, especially with 2 eBikes and a Hitchswing.

Porkchopexpress

When I say “daily driver,” I really mean that figuratively. We don’t drive anything daily. We can walk to work. Most of our regional driving is in a Bolt. I just want to take it skiing several times a week and don’t want to have to seek special parking if we have to use it for groceries. That said, 8 mpg is sobering! Our 5.3 Chevy averages 15 in all conditions. It’s just too easy to overload, especially with 2 eBikes and a Hitchswing.
That makes sense. Those are some of the same reasons I went with a short bed. Maybe the low mpg was because the truck had less than 10 miles on it and it was breaking in. That said, the 7.3 seems to be thirsty in city traffic. It is still very new to me.

tacollie

Glamper
That makes sense. Those are some of the same reasons I went with a short bed. Maybe the low mpg was because the truck had less than 10 miles on it and it was breaking in. That said, the 7.3 seems to be thirsty in city traffic. It is still very new to me.
10 miles isn't enough to gauge mpgs. Mine does that after every fill up if I'm in town. I usually end up around 11 in the city. Best I've seen on the highway was 14.7 but I have the 6 speed with the 6.2. I think GM and Ram do better on mpgs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles